So I rolled my Pathfinder

StatutoryApe

yeah, i rolled my pathfinder yesterday. i was out camping in the desert on the border of california and nevada, just north of reno. i was driving down a dirt/rock road at about 50 mph when i looked out the window for 3 seconds, drifted to the right of the road, tried to correct myself and got wayyyyy too squirrely and lost control. i rolled about 1 1/4 times (at least that's all i can remember. my friend and i were knocked out for like ten seconds) i got out of the sunroof (lol) and i had no scratches on my body at all. my friend had one TINY scratch (probably from the shattered sunroof glass) above his right wrist. i'm just glad that my friend an i weren't hurt. a passer-by yanked me over w/ his ford turbo dies w/ no problem.

it's sad because my pathy was my baby, but it coulda been worse.

here's some pix. i don't wanna post them on here cuz i don't wanna resize them, and there's too many of them anyway. here's the links.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b95/ch620/1.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b95/ch620/2.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b95/ch620/3.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b95/ch620/4.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b95/ch620/5.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b95/ch620/6.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b95/ch620/7.jpg

anyway, after i crashed and got yanked back right-side-up i started the pathy on the first try, just like normal (took under a second to start) i was burnin a tiny bit of oil at first. i guess some oil got past the rings. and i was leakin some power steering fluid, but it was no big deal. it drove straight, just like it did before the crash and there were no side effects of the crash other than the messed up body. i proceeded to drive about 30 miles til i got pulled over by the cop in the 3rd pic. even though i told him that i was just trying to get to a gas station to use a pay phone, he said i couldn't drive because it wasn't street legal because i didn't have a windshield, side mirrors, and my brake light went out (that happened before the accident anyway) he said i had to get towed from there otherwise he'd give me a ticket, arrest me, and have my pahty impounded. what an a-hole.

BUT

i'm hoping to salvage something out of her. i DO NOT wanna get rid of her at all. yeah, sure, the body work may cost more than the vehicle is worth, but it beats buyin a new car since the pathy's already paid for. plus i know my pathy's reliable. i don't wanna have to take a chance w/ a used vehicle. (can't afford a new one)

OR

i can cut off the roof and just put a kind of exo/ roll bar thing (kinda like jeeps) over the top. i've seen an X like that. i think i've seen pix of it from the GoneMoab site. however i wouldn't prefer that cuz i wanna keep the pathy as a DD. it just wouldn't be as comfortable. but, if need be, i can make her my dedicated trail rig.

OR

i was hoping that the similarities between the hardbody and the pathy were so great that i'd be able to turn her into a truck. i like trucks better anyway (despite how good pathies look) and it would be lighter and that means better gas mileage. if possible, i'd like to take the body from a hardbody and replace it w/ the pathy's.

would anyone have any relevant info about the hardbody swap? or be able to point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance,

Charlie

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OMG Glad to hear you're ok. You might be able to either swap all your stuff into another, non running (cheap) pathfinder. Or somehow fix that body. I hear ya about not wanting to get rid of her :beer:

yeah, i could do that too. but i'd rather turn it into a truck if i were to put that much work into it. plus i can be lazy and just slap on a cab and drive it for a while before i get around to puttin on the bed which, i imagine, will have to be bobbed significantly.

Edited by StatutoryApe

yeah, i could do that too. but i'd rather turn it into a truck if i were to put that much work into it. plus i can be lazy and just slap on a cab and drive it for a while before i get around to puttin on the bed which, i imagine, will have to be bobbed significantly.

won't insurance cover the truck?

lol idk. i haven't talked to them yet.i called them to see if they could tow me, but they couldn't because i don't have emergency roadside assistance.

right now my pahty is about 120 miles east of where i live. i had to leave it there cuz it would cost too much to tow it the whole way. it's being stored at the tow truck shop. i have a week of free storage, so right now i'm tryin to figure out how it's gonna get home. i'm gonna ask my friend w/ a dodge cummins turbo dies to tow it the rest of the way on a trailer. but right now i'm focusing on getting it home, then i'll talk to insurance.

Wow, glad to see everyone's ok.

Yeah, I would think the HB swap would be a lot more work than replacing the Pathfinder body. Gas filler is different which means swapping tanks, dunno if the frame is low enough to put a bed over it since its coils and the HB is leaf sprung, prolly have some rewiring, etc...

Good luck with it whichever way you go.

That's a dam shame but thank goodness you guys were ok. The guy I think your talking about that put the cage on the X is on Roninwheelers.com the truck is called the pheonix. It was on a youtube video rolling down some moab (i think) stairs. That is why it was bought from the insurance company from the guy on Ronin and he put the cage on and SaS'd it. It is one badarse rig. I'd say go that route. take out the back seats and with the roll cage you pretty much have a truck bed. Or get a junked pathy and swap the body. Trying to swap a HB on to it is going to be too much of a pita imho

thanks for the input, guys.

so i guess the hb swap is out as of now. idk if insurance can fix something that's messed up that bad, so we'll see.

seems like things are pointing towards the cage idea. that'd be the cheapest route anyway.

Wow.... and you just scored on the tires too..... I guess god is striking down pathys. Glad your okay dude. If you like, you can buy my nissan hardbody if I decide to sell it. It's a reg cab with a short bed. If you want a bobbed bed I def can take an ax to it. hahaha.

It has a 4cly engine. Runs ruff. No AC. No bumpers front or rear. Tweaked frame but no rust. Custom dents by me. Stolen tailgate handle and antenna. Rubber floor with nice hole that fits around your heel for maximum gripage. Broken CB attenna for weight reduction and more aero dynamic. Bouncing bed (unbolted) for more tire clearance when flexed out. Tons of zipties because we all know zipties hold better than screws and nuts. Its red with custom scratches so it looks bad@ass.

lol idk. i haven't talked to them yet.i called them to see if they could tow me, but they couldn't because i don't have emergency roadside assistance.

Thank God you got out of that OK. I hope you got yourself checked-out for concussion, or at least are taking the appropriate precautions. Remember: If you feel light-headed, get a bad headache, or feel sick to your stomach, get yourself to a hospital. As for the truck, I'm not an insurance adjuster, but I've been involved in quite a few wrecks. :wink: Unless you can find a Pathfinder with a blown engine to do a full body swap, that truck is done. Certainly, any insurance adjuster is going to write it off as a total loss it as soon as they hear "roll-over."

Next, do you have collision coverage? If so, then you should be in OK shape, in spite of what the insurance company phone-monkey told you. You had a collision, not a mechanical breakdown. Normally, if your truck won't start it's a mechanical breakdown, and in those situations without roadside assistance you're on your own. But when you have a collision, your collision coverage kicks-in, and if your truck is undrivable, the collision coverage should handle towing to the nearest certified repair facility. Your policy might also provide an allowance for you to rent a car while yours is being repaired, (or in this case, until they pay-off on the total loss), but even if it doesn't, your insurance company should be able to get you a discount rate on a rental.

While most (all?) collision coverages exclude damage caused by off-road activities, your pictures clearly show you were traveling on a graded road, which means it also is probably on the state books as a road and has a name or number. So while the road wasn't paved, it still counts as a road and your wreck should not fall under the "off-roading" exclusion. After all, you weren't rock-crawling or mudding at the time of the wreck.

So, as long as you have collision coverage, I suggest you call-back your insurance company first thing in the morning and get someone on the phone who has a clue. Make sure you tell them you were in a collision, don't just say "I need a tow." When talking to them, make sure you write down the first and last name, or name and employee ID, of each person you talk to and what they said. Be polite but firm. Remember, this is why you paid for your insurance, you had an accident, you are not trying the rip them off. If you don't get the answers you like, call back and speak to someone else. Make sure you are talking to someone in claims -- not just a customer service/call-center person. If you still aren't being taken care of, ask for a claims supervisor (not a call-center supervisor). HINT: If the person you're talking to sounds like they are not in this country, you are not talking to someone who can help you.

Finally, post the name of your insurance company here and a log of who you talked to and what they said. Make sure they know you are doing this. I work in the insurance industry, on the IT side, but there's a chance I might have or be able to find a contact to help you out if your insurer is not honoring the terms of your policy. But in any event, we'll all learn whether or not to do business with your insurance company in the future.

Edited by medici

lol. thanks for the offer but i think i remember u sayin that it was a POS :laugh:

never thought that would come back to bitecha in the butt did you? hehe

OMG....... i am so glad you are all right....... poor pathy......... how sad. at least we got some recent cool shots of her. and with a new body she will be as good as new :beer:

It would be "easier" to just put on a new Pathfinder body. A hardbody swap is going to entail a lot more work (if it's even possible which I don't think it is).

Actually it would be easiest to swap a Hardbody cab on, it would bolt right up no mods needed. The bed wouldn't fit nor match up to any exsisting mounts, but who cares, just make a flat bed or truggy bed.

Damn, like everyone else said, I'm just glad you and your friend are ok!!

I have no idea about the body swap, but what GG says makes sense. I always liked the custom flatbed look anyway...

Sorry this happened and good luck with the insurance company.

B

damn...looks like it was a hellof a ride...glad you folks are alright...

swapping out the pathy body wouldnt be bad at all...probably a days work b/c I think all you need to do is disconnect the the engine bay wiring harness and all the wire clippings from the frame (cant be that many) disconnect the wiring on the fuel tank and disconnect the brake lines from the MC remove some other junk like brake cables guides and what not and the ebrake then 4-6 friends and lift it off

you could even swap over a 4dr body and swap in you're 88 dash so you'd have a 4dr 88 which would be unique...

if you do end up going to sale it or scrap it let me know...mine has given me such a fit lately I"m thinking about reversing my TBI to MPFI conversion back to TBI and old dash and what not just to have a driving truck

thanks for all the info, medici. like i said, first i gotta get it home, then i'll deal w/ insurance. but all that info helps a lot. i appreciate it.

Actually it would be easiest to swap a Hardbody cab on, it would bolt right up no mods needed. The bed wouldn't fit nor match up to any exsisting mounts, but who cares, just make a flat bed or truggy bed.

ya, that's actually what i was hoping to do. just get a cab from an HB. and a flat bed would be sick. anyone care to explain to me what a truggy bed is?

Damn, like everyone else said, I'm just glad you and your friend are ok!!

yeah, that's all i cared about after i crashed at first. the crash didn't even phase me. the whole thing was so surreal. it didn't hit me til later, especially when i saw the tow truck take away my pathy, that i realized how much i'd miss it. but it's ok, i'll still keep 'er around and fix it up real nice-like.

you could even swap over a 4dr body and swap in you're 88 dash so you'd have a 4dr 88 which would be unique...

if you do end up going to sale it or scrap it let me know...mine has given me such a fit lately I"m thinking about reversing my TBI to MPFI conversion back to TBI and old dash and what not just to have a driving truck

nah, man. i like 2-doors way better. i think most can agree on that one :aok:

and let me say "HELL NO" to selling or scrapping it. lol.

an MPFI engine would be cool. i always hear about those vg30e guys gettin WAY better gas mileage than we vg30i guys on the board.

Dude that sux...Cool pic of the cop though :aok:

Glad to see your still here to tell the tale :beer:

All this has somewhat put me off doing stupid stuff *Hopes he wont be next*

i guess the scenery in that pic looks nice. the cop was a real d-bag tho.

and i'm glad to still be around too. lol.

and what do you mean "stupid stuff"? i wasn't doing anything stupid. lol.

i woulda hit the gas while drifting, but idk if that woulda made me hit the ground harder or whatever. i just tried to coast it out.

i guess the scenery in that pic looks nice. the cop was a real d-bag tho.

and i'm glad to still be around too. lol.

and what do you mean "stupid stuff"? i wasn't doing anything stupid. lol.

i woulda hit the gas while drifting, but idk if that woulda made me hit the ground harder or whatever. i just tried to coast it out.

:lol: not you....I do stupid stuff too often...Like when I couldn't be bothered turning around on a small road. I just belted it in reverse, she got real loose then A ROUND WE WENT!

I looked just like this little guy >> driving2.gif

There was 4 skid marks and only 3 were on the road :D HOT DAMN it would of looked COOL from the outside though....The perfect "Knight rider"

I'd like to think I've grown up since then ......but.....ya know

:D