Opinions Please - XK or T4R

vengeful

It has come to be time to put the ole Pathfinder to pasture. I will be researching and looking for a new Expedition Rig over the next several months. As anyone who knows me will tell you, I am very very picky about a potential vehicle. I can continue to drive the Pathy until December when the registration runs out, but after that point, she's going to be decomissioned, as it is cost-prohibitive to make her pass inspection. I have come to the determination that another Pathfinder will not suit my needs. The vehicle needs to be able to easily haul 3-4 people, up to 1200lbs of gear, and pull a 2500lb trailer up the side of an 18,000ft mountain in remote South America - and then get back.

I have never been one to conform to "normals" in any sort of society. When I raced ITB Cars around the turn of the Millenium, I chose VW Rabbits to be different. When I decided to buy an SUV, I chose a Nissan Pathfinder, because they weren't a very common vehicle, and because I liked it. I am getting back into racing AutoCross, and I'm building an STS Mazda MX-3. There are currently ZERO MX-3s in the local SCCA Region. That in mind...

I have narrowed my choices to two very evenly matched vehicles, and I am calling on the expertise and knowledge of the NPORA community for insight as to which vehicle I should pursue.

1. 2006-2007 Jeep XK Commander Sport 4.7L V8 - Trail Rated

A very capable and comfortable vehicle. The stadium rear seating provides a good view of the road and terrain ahead, even for rear seat passengers. The available 3rd Row allows for transport of 7 people in some semblance of comfort. Remove the 3rd Row and there is gobs of cargo space. I really like the way they drive, and the seating position is good.

2. 2003-2006 Toyota 4Runner Sport V8

Another very capable and comfortable vehicle. Pretty evenly matched in available features and space as the Commander. Both vehicles have most of the same advantages, but the Commander wins in rear seat view. The 4Runner has a more comprehensive aftermarket than the Commander, but the market is growing for the XK.

One thing I like about the Commander over the 4Runner is you don't see them everywhere. I also like the exterior styling of the XK over the T4R a little bit, but I like the interior styling of the T4R better. The XK seems to have a more usable/modifiable dash setup, while the T4R seems to have a lot more factory integration available.

I'm kind of torn. Just want your opinions on both vehicles for use as Expedition rigs.

Both are popular around me...I would think the toyota gets some bonus points in reliability...if they both have aftermarket support for what you need then I would say it is going to be you who has to pick the one that you think rides the best, that you would want to live in day in and day out, etc... I just know my friends sister got a Commander with the hemi and it was very fast, but completely unreliable from day one.

The vehicle needs to be able to easily haul 3-4 people, up to 1200lbs of gear, and pull a 2500lb trailer up the side of an 18,000ft mountain in remote South America - and then get back.

Just want your opinions on both vehicles for use as Expedition rigs.

:rolleyes:

Put a cummins diesel in a power wagon or buy a unimog.

I have never been one to conform to "normals" in any sort of society.

I'll be an expert witness on this!!

Ok, all jokes aside, how you been, V?

I can't say I know either one much at all, but off the bat, I'd go with the toyota. Why? It's a toyota... Why not the jeep? It's a jeep... I think that is enough, but I'll explain.

Toyota has a better reputation for reliability/durability. There are more toyotas than that jeep thing so parts should be cheaper or (more importantly) more accessable. It has better aftermarket support; don't assume the jeep will get the same level. Look what happened to the WD21... As for trying to be unique, well, once you customize yours, it won't be like the others so you still have a 'look at me the attention whore' rig... ;)

Did I get your attention? :tongue:

Peace, bro...

B

I wouldn't trust either one of them to last being used as an "Expedition Rig". Hell, I bet you'd blow the tranny in either one just towing on flat ground, let alone up a hill. They're both Yuppie Mommy Mall Haulers only. Hell, a H2 would be better, and that's not saying much.

The vehicle needs to be able to easily haul 3-4 people, up to 1200lbs of gear, and pull a 2500lb trailer up the side of an 18,000ft mountain in remote South America - and then get back.

Why no epedition pedigreed rigs like Land Rovers or the Toyota Land Cruiser?

woods1yu5.jpg

If I HAD to choose between the two,I'd have to go with the Toyota.

Read the magazine(Fourwheeler/4wheel&offroad) write ups on both vehicles.

Edited by jitterymonkey

Toyota, hands down. My buddy has an '03, granted with a 6, buts its stout and reliable. My coworker has a stock Commander, and besides being pretty low to the ground and appearing non-trailready, plus quite unreliable from what she's said, it gets absolutely horrible mileage, something like 10-12mpg around town.

Yota, newer Nissan, hell, there are lots of other choices out there besides a bloated pig of a Jeep.

For the $ your going to pay for either I would say go with what Jittermonkey says and head to landcruisers. Nice on road, tons of room and still extremely capable off-road. Im my honest opinion the commander and 4-runner are made for soccer moms but still have some off-road capability. The Landcruiser I beleive to be more of a expedition vehicle with soccer mom capability

the only problem i see with the 4runner is the fact that is RFS which isnt very strong when we are talking about towing, and isnt a good setup when you are looking at lifting it. I am pretty sure (not positive) that the commander is still solid rear (dont know what axle though) which is nicer to begin with. If it were me, i would be looking at a truck, like a tacoma 4 door with the TRD package.....

Land Rover = British = Never ending Electrical Problems

Land Cruiser = Older than 97 (for any Cruiser worth half a shxt) and TONS of miles. The average 97 Land Cruiser sells for $15,000 and has 160-180,000 miles on it....yeah....right.

the only problem i see with the 4runner is the fact that is RFS which isnt very strong when we are talking about towing, and isnt a good setup when you are looking at lifting it. I am pretty sure (not positive) that the commander is still solid rear (dont know what axle though) which is nicer to begin with. If it were me, i would be looking at a truck, like a tacoma 4 door with the TRD package.....

The 4 Runner has a solid axle rear, I'm quite sure. Are you talking about the R51 Pathfinder?

Not many vehicles can do what your asking(reliably)

without throwing a ton of money(mods) at em'

You get what you pay for.

How much more $$$ would it cost to buy/modify the new rig than it would be to get the Pathfinder roadworthy???

Edited by jitterymonkey

He went over this before...It would take a lot of money, multiple thousands, and much much more time to make it inspection legal

Exactly, and at which point, I'm still driving a 160,000 mile vehicle with a severely strained chassis.

He went over this before...It would take a lot of money, multiple thousands, and much much more time to make it inspection legal

Sorry,missed that. :hide:

Just figured that since you've already got a lot of experience and $$$ in R50 parts.

Fixing yours or buying another one would be better than starting all over again.

Sorry,missed that. :hide:

Just figured that since you've already got a lot of experience and $$$ in R50 parts.

Fixing yours or buying another one would be better than starting all over again.

This was a month or two ago i think...but I think hes not getting another R50 cuz he wants something different as well as something that is potentially more capable then an R50 :crossedwires:

Why are you even considering a 2006 XK? That old-tech Mopar V8 was underpowered and unrefined, not to mention the abysmal fuel economy.

230 h.p and 290 lb.-ft isn't exactly anything to write home about (which were the outputs for the pre-07's) especially when you're planning on taking yours to the moon and back. Opt for the latter one with the 4.7, 290 hp. and 320 lb.-ft.

SSHHHhhh PEZZY will hear you :hide: :hide: :D

Im not saying R50's arent capable...just something more capable...put Pezzy behind the wheel of a 6 inch lifted WD21 and I bet you she could do almost anything...

Im not saying R50's arent capable...just something more capable...put Pezzy behind the wheel of a 6 inch lifted WD21 and I bet you she could do almost anything...

She already does...in her R50. :aok: