Hood Latch Problem

ShadowManR6

so was having a problem with my hood not popping up when i was trying to open it, only way to get it open was to have someone pull on the line/link thing and hold until someone else could walk over and pull the hood up enough to unlatch, so went bought a new latch, replaced it and still is doing the same thing, what/where exactly pops the hood up when u pull the line? Thanks.

My rubber hood stops are trashed and don't make good contact with the hood anyway, and my hood still pops up. I went to take a look at the mechanism, and there's a part of the latch that makes it pop up.

Here is a close up of the latch.

IMG_0675.JPG

What pops the hood up is the big spring in the center-right of the picture. This puts tension on the wrench-like bit to the left. That's what pops up your hood when you hit the release.

The rubber hood stops help it pop up. Screw them upwards a few turns and see if that helps.

worked moving those stops up, had to really screw them out tho, wonder if just age got to them, thanks

I would always pull mine and the hood not pop up...walk around whack the hood and bam it would pop up...

I like to call them love taps, myself... but I'm with John...

Actually most of my moms "older" cars have had the same problem... it was never a big deal... from what I can remember...

• 3 months later...

hi guys-i did a search and found this old post,it's exactly what I needed to know. Where can I find this missing spring? can anyone tell me what the length/size is? thanks, julie

post-2922-1213682660_thumb.jpg

Edited by jgt

hi guys-i did a search and found this old post,it's exactly what I needed to know. Where can I find this missing spring? can anyone tell me what the length/size is? thanks, julie

is your spring missing or do you just think it's the problem? Chances are that the spring is fine (if it's there) and you just need to clean and lube the latch mechanism. If the spring is missing, I would say go to a local junkyard or maybe one of the many people in here with a parts vehicle could toss one your way. If you don't come up with one, post and I'll grab one on my next JY run (probably in a couple months)

and thanks for using the search before posting :itsallgood:

Edited by k9sar

• 3 months later...

Sorry to drag up an old post, but I found it searching as well. I'm having the same problem with my hood this morning. I'm am work so I've got no access to any tools and a long drive home. I pulled the release and my hod won't pop up and I've tried it from the outside and it's not budging. Anyone think I'm at risk driving at highway speeds with this problem? Any non tool suggestions to make sure I'm good? I'm going to try the "love taps" I read earlier in the thread.

even if the hood release works, the hood does not fly up. That's a built in safety feature and why you then need to go around front and reach under it for the release lever. you should be fine driving home. You may even get it to lift a bit so you can open it when you get there.

While we are at it, one way to pull the latch and pull up on the hood at the same time while by yourself is to use a bungee cord on the latch pull to keep it pulled open, then go to the hood and pull up.

Just spray that latch with "White Lithium Spray Grease", work the latch a few times and the hood should pop up. I usually check and spray the latch / hinges (hood, doors and trunk) at time of service, this schedule works for me.

a pack of smokes(king size in a box) is the perfect length to wedge between the lever and the dash if by yourself-and a smoker. wedge the handle give the hood a good tap or yank and lube the crap out of the latch. just don't forget to unwedge the handle or you will get verry frustrated slamming the hood over and over from it not latching shut again.

Mine was a missing spring. Didn't want to open, but if I pulled the hood release, someone else could wriggle it open. Check to see if the spring is missing. Cost $3 for the spring at napa, didn't need to replace the whole latch. hope it works.

• 7 months later...
a pack of smokes(king size in a box) is the perfect length to wedge between the lever and the dash if by yourself-and a smoker.

I've been jamming a stick of the right size under the hood to apply some tension so when I pull the lever inside the hood will pop. Similar idea, different end of the problem... Gonna have to try greasing everything and adjusting those stops