Something died.

Greyscale

Something recently gave out on my pathfinder. After wheeling on sunday we stopped at a wendys for some food. We are about to leave and I go to start my pathfinder.... nothing... just rapid clicking coming from the fuse box area. I thought it might of been the starter, but one of my friends said battery. We jump it and it starts up after a few tries.

Today i'm going to leave for class, and it predictibly won't start. A mechanicly inclined friend came by later and we jumped it and it started fine. He said to check the battery (i'll do that tommorow) and then if thats fine, the alternator.

So, is this diagnosis correct or is it something else? Also, how much should I expect to spend on a battery or alternator? I'm kinda broke at the moment, so i'd rather not spend a whole lot of money. However, I need a car for work (if I ever get any) so I have a bit of a problem here.

Well since a simple jump allowed the truck to start normally the first thing to do would be to pull the battery cables off and clean the terminals and the battery posts, then connect the cables and see if that solves the problem.

Secondly, once you have done that head down the a local parts store and ask them to do an in vehicle charging system and battery check. Most stores can do it and will do it for free. If the voltage is low with the truck running they will likely recommend that you take the alternator out so they can properly test it. If the battery voltage is low when the truck is shut off, then your looking at the battery.

But first, clean those terminals and posts :aok:

Yep...probably the terminals loose/dirty.

Also, with the truck off, check the battery with a volt meter to see what it's holding. Also do the same with the truck on. If it's 13-14 volts with the truck on, but under 12 with it off, chances are it's your battery.

Use the voltmeter on the posts of the battery.

If both tests are okay, chances are it's the wiring/terminals that are the issue.

I second the motion, what red said (both of them)...

ck the water and clean/ck the terminals first...

If you add water use distilled water... DON'T USE TAP!!!! and don't overfill it...

the water issue happens all the time on motorcycles, that are not ck'ed duing high heat (like summer), but really dosen't happen as often to these things with 4 wheels... but then again I've been riding bikes exclsively for like 13 years... and driving full time for less than a year, just bought my first anything with 4 wheels just recently... Anyhow, most of my bikes batteies had a water line... I'm not sure about these 4 wheelers...

Scrub those terminals... double ck the connections too... they get get loose/break sometimes...

Have it ck'ed out at your local parts store that will do it for free...

Charge/replace... if not... your gonna need to spend some more money...

Water... clean... and ck connections... first

Thats what I would do... Good Luck...

The terminals are very clean. No rust or dirt whatsoever.

I'm going to have the battery tested today. It seems kind of odd that the battery would just fail like that, its only about 6 months old. Allthough, this might have something to do with the other starting issues i've been having. When starting it usually doesn't want to turn over right away. I usually have to turn the key a few times to get it to start. Sometimes it will stall when I put it into gear (automatic).

It had an electrical problem when I first got it (a in the spring), which we found was a short being caused by bad wireing of an aftermarket alarm ontop of the stock one. We took it off and everything seemed to be working fine. Untill now that is.

can check your alternator by taking the battery terminals off while its running. if good, it should keep charging. check for belt tension also...plus all the above!

Raw may have meant to say that when you remove the cable from the terminals, the truck should keep running, indicating the alternator is good. If it dies, bad alternator.

Hows the wiring look around your battery? I was dealing with a few wiring issues just recently and found a fuse link behind the battery that was full of old acid and not making a connection! I replaced the fuse link with a inline fuse and re spliced the wires to eliminate the bad areas and fixed most of my problems!

p.s. you may have something not making a good connection at the starter!

Edited by 95shakinPF

Raw may have meant to say that when you remove the cable from the terminals, the truck should keep running, indicating the alternator is good. If it dies, bad alternator.

NO. DO NOT EVER DO THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This WILL damage any alternator that has a solid-state regulator!

• 2 weeks later...

if the battery terminals are all very clean and the cables are tight as hell. check all the wiring...especially the fusible link. Then you could pull the alternator and get it bench tested somewhere. It might not be charging.

hopefully it isn't the starter...those things are horrid to remove.