Tool Storage

AlMac

Hey guys,

I've been going through my storage lately and found my VERY old rusty tool box.

Going through the box, i just found all my Craftsman sockets! :D

Unfortunately some of my 1/2" Drive sockets are missing in action.

I recall when i bought the very large socket set, they just came in plastic bags in a cardboard box.

Had i waited a few years, they probably would have come in a nice plastic molded case.

Just curious how you guys store your tools, in and out of your pathys?

What are your prefered brands of tools?

Do you prefer plastic tool boxes over steel?

comments and suggestions welcome! :)

I buy Powerbuilt, just because it was the 1st DECENT socket set I ever bought :D Can't say I'm a fan of steel cases, when you pick them up most "re-sort" things for you :lol: There maybe better brands though. The down side with plastic is the hinge but I have yet to break one.

My 3/8 dr set was good until removing suspension and snapped my strongarm bar (no pipe used) :D . Bought a 1/2 dr set with Pathfinder in mind :aok: and loads of other tools including high lift jack and Vac/pres bleeder pump thingie.

Maybe we should post some pics of our toolboxes. *Runs away to tidy up 1st*

I find craftsman to be purty decent tools but they can all be broken! :ohno01: As for boxes, I have a craftsman roll around stackable steel box at home! In da pathy I got a small plastic box full of essentials! Plastic is durable enough, :broken: given how cheap u can get em! Plastic is alot less noisy beatin around in da back of da pathy,as well!

Cobalt tools that Lowes hardware store carries. better than snap-on IMO and you dont have to chase the snap-on truck everytime you need it replaced.

I use Kennedy toolbox & craftsman and when Im working on the pathy I just put the tools I need in a nylon bag and sometimes I use my roolaway cart type

Kobalt and Craftsman.

If I need something for a one-time gig, I'll buy it from Harbor Freight.

Power tools - Makita and/or Ryobi, high quality, low price, and the nice thing about the Ryobi stuff is all the batteries interchange.

I've got a nice steel, multi-drawer Craftsman ball-bearing tool chest for home storage, and a small, portable, plastic Craftsman toolbox for the essentials when I'm out in the truck, though, that's going away in favor of a tool drawer.

I have a full set of 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2" drive sockets and ratchets from Home Depot that I got for my birthday years ago...the case they came in broke at the hinge but all the slots and spaces for the sockets are still full, I just take the lid and lay it out alongside the bottom section when I use it now. Never broke one, but the ratchets are dying now after 5-7 years. ;)

In the Pathy I just have a big plastic toolbox packed with odds and ends, I don't like the heavy steel boxes.

Best tool: Husky (Home Depot) 3/8" ratchet with a spinner handle (rotate the handle and it spins the socket, either direction!).

WE've got some real nice GEL socket wrenches and sockets here. Love em real heavy duty.

Out of all the socket wrenches we have the Gel's still don't have any slop in em. Nothin worse than tryin to work with a half broken socket wrench....

I really have no preference though, if the tool fits and it's solid thats all I need.

Craftsman steal tool chest at home Craftsman plastic set of 188 pc 3/8,1/4,1/2 metric and "americana" rachets, Along with a "doctors type bag" of mis craftsman stuff like screwdrivers,plyers, duct tape, JB weld. I did have problem with the plastic case in that your sockets would fall out of place if turned over the wrong way and it would rattle a bit but I just cut a piece of carpet to match the shape and all is perfect it does not make any sound even if you shake it violently. If you cant tell I like craftsmen stuff as if it breaks take it to sears and get a new one. Like Dan said though for one time deals harbor freight awesome.

i use a plastic too box in the truck right now with few odds and ends under the rear seats. however, i am really thinking of going to a bag as i think it will be easier to deal with, especially when the back is packed full..

i have mostly craftsman wrenches and sockets but i really don't care.

I really have no preference though, if the tool fits and it's solid thats all I need.
:aok:

in the garage I've got my craftsman roll box that mom got me for Xmas last year (she got it really cheap which was great b/c I felt bad when i saw it b/c at full price it would have been like 3-4 weeks pay for her) it has all different brand tools from snap-on and mac to gumby tools found on the side of the road and in JY's but it has my "mechanics tool set" by champion (sears knock off brand that I think is better than craftsman that mom got me when I was 16) which has done 95% of the work on my pathy's and a ton on other cars

I also have 1 of those molded craftsman boxes for the 253 piece sets to carry around with me which I got on sale the day after thanksgiving like 2 years ago for $100 off...

and since speaking of tools and boxes...a good cheap way to pick up new tools for cheap is go to pawnshops and find cheap busted sockets/wrenches and whatever else by craftsman/snap-on/mac and whoever else has a lifetime warranty and return them for brand new tools...

That's scandalous (spelling?) uncc but I like your thinking. pawn shop is just a good way to get some cordless tools for cheap too. I got my 18v dewalt there with 2 batteries (one kinda sucks and does not hold a charge very well) for 65 bucks. And it has done every job I have needed it to with no problem.

That's scandalous (spelling?) uncc but I like your thinking. pawn shop is just a good way to get some cordless tools for cheap too. I got my 18v dewalt there with 2 batteries (one kinda sucks and does not hold a charge very well) for 65 bucks. And it has done every job I have needed it to with no problem.

Got a roller/stacked Craftsman for the garage, plus the rest is on shelves, workbench, all over the place really. Screwdrivers and stuff in drawers around the house, you know, just 'cause. :) LOL A nylon bag o' stuff like screwdrivers, cutters, pliers, etc., for the Pathy, plus a Stanley socket set (cheap and pretty stout), a 1/2' Harbor Freight socket set for the big stuff, and a HF full metric and standard wrench set. Gotta be prepared... ;)

I wouldnt buy anything from sears anymore ..Them SOB charges 15% re stocking fee if you return a tool to them.What happened to that SATISFACTION GUARANTEE that theyre offering :angry:

I agree with UNC,pawnshop is the way to go but you better do your research first on the tool that youre buying as far as pricing coz some pawnshop charges too much and you might think that youre getting a bargain coz its from a pawnshop.

Youll still find older snap on tools at pawnshops that are american made not like the new ones snap-on truck sells that are made in china.

another thing is if you buy a broken snap-on tools or mac even matco from a pawnshop and try to return it to a snap on dealer good luck in having it replaced unless you know that dealer.

Edited by PATHRIDER

My corner in the house is on the back porch, important its close to the Barbecue.

( :huh: Upload failed. Please ask the administrator to check the settings and permissions )

Administrator please help

I have no preference in brand of tools, as long they get the job done its fine by me.

I use a plastic tool box, why ? I found it one day at work lying around empty in

our mechanic room and was thinking, I can use that at home.

I have no tools in the pathy, just the standard tools that come with the truck.

Edited by Caribbeandude

In the garage: Two Craftsmen roll around towers, a bunch of stuff on the walls and in drawers and cabinets, and a few "specialty boxes" - one for bicycle maintenance, a couple for motorcycles, a couple for electrical work, etc

In the vehicles, I have found myself gravitating towards the really heavy duty well built plastic boxes.

Yes, after 40 years of investing in and taking care of tools, I have a bunch. Mostly 20+ year old Craftsmen, some Snap-On, Cobalt, etc. I am not so much hung up on brand names or matching tools as much as I am into quality and functionality. And very little Chinese/Taiwan/India/etc pot metal self-destructing crap. Fine for one or two uses with minimal force needs, but if I really need a tool to do some serious work without exploding into shards, I invest in a good one.

I was cleaning up last night and I think I put six or seven 12 mm sockets away! We had multiple projects going on between my nephews and myself. Finished pulling the engine from little blue, tore down the Connie to fix a coolant leak, tore down a KTM to fix an electrical gremlin, pulled the rear tire off Triumph to get a new shoe....

My major tools are craftsman with a four drawer tool box and then misc brand stuff for everything else. For the ride I use an actionpacker by rubbermaid and some old .50 cal ammo boxs for the stuff that i want to keep wet.