Official Us Gas Prices Thread

88pathoffroad

Good quote:

$10 BILLION in profit. Just keep repeating that.

Demand is up. Refining capacity is stretched way too thin. Brokers and traders are having a field day. Civil unrest and war in oil producing countries. China's explosive growth pulling resources out of world markets. Greenies say no new refineries. Oil execs won't push for new refineries due to the inherent ups and downs of the business. Automakers too stupid to have their 50,000 analysts forecast the future cost of oil into their manufacturing plans. More travel by car due to terrorist issues (questionable, but plausible). Even MORE travel by car due to increases in airfares as a result of....higher fuel costs. Summer blends vs. winter blends. Washington is in a huge pissing contest and at a stalemate over....lots of shiat....because the Dems want to shove the Republicans under the bus come November '08 and vice versa.

It's the refiners. It's the consumers. It's the government. It's the marketers. It's the environmentalists. It's the capitalists. It's supply /demand.

$10 BILLION in PROFIT.

I'm a capitalist to the core. But, while we fritter the time away, waiting for "something" to be done about this, EVERYBODY's interest but YOURS and MINE is being served....by $10 BILLION in PROFIT.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if people didn't driver everywhere at 100mph around here they wouldn't need to fill up half as much. I slow down (55-60) and get 2-4mpg better, thus saving gas.

I don't travel anywhere unecessarily, and try to multi-task my things i do need to travel for so i don't drive as much. hell, i live 1/2-3/4 of a mile from the nearest store.. F that..i'm drivin. ..... plus, i can't ride a bicycle because of my knees.. and i pretty much drive past the store when i get on/off the freeway to go to work.... soo.......

around here it's anywhere from $3.39- $3.60 a gallon.

unfortunately i work 23 miles away from home....... welcome to california.

in my bmw i get optimal fuel economy at 70-75, 80 if its really flat(luckily dallas is fairly flat)... yet the speed limit is only 60... the pathfinder, i see the same thing you do, 55-60 gets the best, but only like 20mpg as opposed to 18 at 70...

and its 2.99 a gallon for regular here... too bad i gotta put premium in my beamer lol

Edited by Adam

Great quote 88, where di you find it?

Fark.com. Same as this one:

I have worked in refieries for 15 years, and I can tell you for sure: there has been NO NEW REFINERY built in this country since roughly 1983, I constructed one of the last ones.

That is what has got us in this horrible jam: If poil supplies doubled overnight, we couldn't do anything with them, vecause there is only so much oil you can run through any given refinery.

In addition to that, they are required by law to shut down and clean out for periodic maintenence, lest they go up fast and come down slow; I have seen a few refinery explosions; do not want.

If you were a beginner 25 years old on the last refinery ever built, you are now 50 years old and have long since moved on to a new career. A whole generation of men grewe old and retired, leaving no new men to take their places.

When Katrina and Rita hit one after another, 15 refineries were damaged, and the men to repair them did not exist.

In addition, having worked in the oil field most of my life, I get god damn sick and tired of people who hate me because I make a product---gasoline---which people want, and will pay for. If I were growing hydrophonic sinsemilla for the same reason, people would praise me as a hero for bucking the system.

I have been flamed shirtless on Fark threads because I once worked at Halliburton. . . or, at least showed up to be honest. Seriously, my job was cementing drill pipe into the ground, so the oil would not contaminate ground water strata above, or the well blow out and burn down the whole forest. How is that environmental rape?

You farkers accept the good things technology can bring as readily as a kitten accepts milk; but you don't understand the process which creates them, any more than a kitten understands dairy farming.

Freeze in the dark, ungrateful bastards. You deserve it.

Went up 3 cents yesterday to $1.269 per liter.

24 hours later, it dropped 3 ce3nts, back to $1.239.

This yo yoing of price is what is making people around here mad a Big Oil. I doubt the tanks at the local stations were emptied, re-filled, then emptied, then refilled again in 24 hours.

Oh well.