We need to get a front bumper made...

tmorgan4

As some of you know, I'm getting rid of the ARB ONLY because it isn't working well with the winch I have. I love the thing, but I need something that isn't going to cut up my rope every time I use the damn thing.

Since things with the TJM have fallen though, I figured I might as well work with someone to produce a front bumper while I have one made. I was planning on having a "one off" bumper made from tube, but now I'm questioning that idea.

I know I've posted up pictures from this website before, but I've really been considering a "local" (3 hrs. away) shop called Armorology for the bumper. They're all custom, but have the same "look" on all of them. I personally love them.

In%20The%20Shop%20BK_0251.JPG

In%20The%20Shop%20April_0332.JPG

000_1384-2.JPG

These are a few of the ones that I really like, but wanted to get a feel for how many of the guys that put money down on the TJM would be interested in a group buy.

I know everyone will be asking what the price is, but there really isn't any way to know until I bring mine down. My guess would be about what the TJM was at $800 or so. They aren't cheap, I know. Actually, they're quite a bit more than this, but I'd assume it would go down a if more than one is built.

Look around on Jed's site at www.armorology.com and find some other ones you guys like.

Just trying to get a feel for whether I'm the only one wanting one or if it's worth it to find someone willing to make them available.

Yeah, I really like the Armorology designs. Road Armor also makes cool stuff.

One thing about Armorology though is that I read they only build bumper on the actual trucks. I don't know if they make a jig to do multiple pieces. Contact them to see if they do.

One thing about Armorology though is that I read they only build bumper on the actual trucks. I don't know if they make a jig to do multiple pieces. Contact them to see if they do.

That's one thing I've talked to a few shops (and Jed @ Armorology) about before, and it seems like making more than one using plate and measurements is doable. When it's made out of tube it really needs the jig due to all the bends.

Now, I haven't spoken with Jed about this project yet but I did discuss having him produce the skids that I'm working on for the Prado lift. He was up for the project but it was going to be too expensive for what the average person wants.

I'm sure you guys have heard of CBI Offroad Fab in Idaho. There's snosk who has had a rear bumper, sliders and I believe a front bumper from them. If you click on the link you can see what kind of stuff they do.

CBI OffRoad

Although it says Toyota, it'll give you an idea. Just thought I'd throw another option out there.

Steve (CBI) and I have been working on an ARB style front bumper for my R50 for a couple of months now. Still in design phase, but its been put on hold for a while as the trans in my pathy quit just before christmas. Two days later the boy wrecked the gf's daily driver, so that took priority. As soon as I get my trans fixed its headed for CBI and a new bumper. Will keep you posted.

can i ask how is an ARB bumper damaging your winch cable

generally speaking ARB bars are extreamly good quality, too the point of here in australia i believe that ARB make the bars that nissan fit to there vehicles from the factory. i believe the bar on my Patrol is an ARB unit with a nissan part number on it.

every 'man & his dog' runs an ARB bar & winch out here & i have never come across this problem. surely is a fair lead problem not a bar problem. did you modify the way it mounts to the bar to fit it?

The problem with the winch cable isn't any defect on the ARB. The only reason it's getting torn up is the fact that I'm using a 9.5ti winch (with the integrated solenoid) and the ARBs are built for bumpers WITHOUT an integrated solenoid. I had to make an adapter since I couldn't clock the winch, and it works great until the spool is full. Then the rope starts getting caught on things.

It's also because I'm using synthetic line with a hawse fairlead instead of the roller fairlead the bumper is meant for. Since the hawse is small it sits "inside" the bumper, so on any pull more than a few degrees to the side makes the rope rub on the sharp edge of the bumper.

Wow those are reall nice. I would love to pick one of those up but it would prob be very expensive. I will make my own after their style. If anyone is interested i might be making a jig so i can make multiples.

• 1 month later...

Still working on getting a bumper made. Looking for a shop that doesn't good work without an insane price tag. There's a guy who just moved to the city next to me from California and he used to work for All-Pro. He's now doing side work like bumpers and cages. I'm thinking about having him take a look at it.

Recently ordered from KMA, semi custom, will let everyone know how it fits and how i like it once it gets to me. BTW not bad pricing, D-rings, signals, plate style grill guard, light hoop and shipping to Jersey around $750

have you tried Xtreme Engineering of off mulbery, im not usre if there still there i googled it and it said that it was on link lane. but either way the phone # is (970) 493-6766. Ive heard some good things about them but havent been there personally

Edited by csutke

have you tried Xtreme Engineering of off mulbery, im not usre if there still there i googled it and it said that it was on link lane. but either way the phone # is (970) 493-6766. Ive heard some good things about them but havent been there personally

Xtreme Engineering is actually the place that gave me the almost $1400 quote. Nice guys with some amazing talent out there. Their shop was full of some of the nicest rigs I've ever seen. Their location changed and they are now out on 287 near LaPorte.

He didn't. I did. I was told it was for a WD21, and found out, after purchasing that it was for an R50. Dan has since found an ARB for me, and he's coming up to Toronto to make the swap.