90-95 Pathy's Offroading

RI_ChevyGuy85

Are Pathy's good enough off road to dump money into?  

270 members have voted

1. 1. Are Pathy's good enough off road to dump money into?

• Hell yeah, they hang with the best off road with a lot of mods.
    • Yup, they'll do great with minimal mods.
    • They're decent, don't bother doin too much to it though.
    • Keep it stock, don't waste the money.
    • Hell with Nissan, I miss my early 80's Chevy Blazer.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*hisses @ salt water & pathy frames together without a coated frame* my pathies will not touch a beach until i've finished coating the frames. *shivers*

• 3 weeks later...

I just picked up a 92 from my son. It needs a bit of tlc, but I really enjoy it. I have a 90 FSC and driving that is like driving a bus compared to the Pathfinder (sorry, can't make myself say 'pathy'). Having fun with the rig. Lotso body roll and flex to figure out. Thing sure is loaded in options. Can't wait to go play with it in the Utah wilderness.

• 2 weeks later...
I just picked up a 92 from my son. It needs a bit of tlc, but I really enjoy it. I have a 90 FSC and driving that is like driving a bus compared to the Pathfinder (sorry, can't make myself say 'pathy'). Having fun with the rig. Lotso body roll and flex to figure out. Thing sure is loaded in options. Can't wait to go play with it in the Utah wilderness.

Nice, usually it's the other way around. Yeah, I can say pathy online, but in person I'll usually call it the path or something.

Can't verbally say pathy for some reason as well, normally just call them by their chassis code, stems from calling my Hardbody a d21 from the hatred of actually hearing them called Hardbodys. Fine typing it, just not saying it.

• 2 months later...
*hisses @ salt water & pathy frames together without a coated frame* my pathies will not touch a beach until i've finished coating the frames. *shivers*

i live on Long Island. Salt water and salty breezesss galore. fml. ~_~ the guy who owned my pathy before me shouldve looked into coating, maybe then i wouldnt have to worry about the softball sized gap in my frame.

i live on Long Island. Salt water and salty breezesss galore. fml. ~_~ the guy who owned my pathy before me shouldve looked into coating, maybe then i wouldnt have to worry about the softball sized gap in my frame.

Totally dig the pathfinder,I must be the only one who has had problems with the manual tranny because I hear the drivetrain is very reliable.In this area it's all jeeps,yotas and older explorers mixed in with a crapload of prerunners-all cool but there's something unique about Pathfinders that really standout to me.hopefully more parts will become more available to keep the heap running even after 287,000 miles!Royal Purple rocks! :beer:

A long long time ago i voted here and marked "Yup, they'll do great with minimal mods." but honestly the sky is the limit. first engine ran fine 'till it hit 347K mi. it's really a great truck and since the SAS it's only gotten better, I'm also looking to build a Hardbody to wheel "the hammers" in Johnson Valley, CA. The plan is to basically build a duplicate of the pathfinder in truck form and not worry about it being driven on the street or body damage. Total Nissan Nissan crawler

76538c51.jpg

2105845310101841078S600x600Q85.jpg

4564_borregofest_2007_coyote_canyon_4x4.jpg

big_bear_off-road_12-1-07-38.jpg

big_bear_off-road_12-1-07-11.jpg

pathy-gallery2.jpg

doran.jpg

Edited by SteeevO

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I was out playing in the mud with two highly modded zukes and a 'lux yesterday. With only 31" MT's and a 2" coil lift i was able to tackle everything they could + some.

Everyone was eyeballin' my Terrano and commenting on how well it went and how it just ate up the bogs.

My only moan is i need more lift and 33"s as my rear diff beaches way too easy!

I was out playing in the mud with two highly modded zukes and a 'lux yesterday. With only 31" MT's and a 2" coil lift i was able to tackle everything they could + some.

Everyone was eyeballin' my Terrano and commenting on how well it went and how it just ate up the bogs.

My only moan is i need more lift and 33"s as my rear diff beaches way too easy!

Really, the only issue i ever experience with my 3" BL pathy, is low ground clearance, and lack of highway tires cleaning themselves! But I can honestly say I do pretty dang good in mud, amazing in sand, and about average on tippy high clearance trails (I shave the tops RIGHT off those hills!)

Really, the only issue i ever experience with my 3" BL pathy, is low ground clearance, and lack of highway tires cleaning themselves! But I can honestly say I do pretty dang good in mud, amazing in sand, and about average on tippy high clearance trails (I shave the tops RIGHT off those hills!)

Yeah. lots of guys running 33"s and 35"s where i play, digging those ruts nice and deep. I'd pick a different line, but when you cant see the ruts due to the soup. it's kinds hard! :lol:

In saying that, i've only been beached twice, so not too bad!

• 2 months later...
Yeah I'm debating on what to do with my Pathy. Great truck so far, does well offroad. I do miss my 85 Blazer Silverado though, nothing like knowing you can run over someone's house without thinkin twice about it. To keep it simple.... 350 motor, 6" lift, 35x12.5QR18 BFG Mud Terrains, and straight pipe dual exhaust. Obviously the Pathy will never reach that level, but it's a nice truck for a daily driver and it does well offroad. My dillema is whether or not to sell it and save money to build another monster truck haha. Is the Pathy worth holdin onto?

Yeah I'm debating on what to do with my Pathy. Great truck so far, does well offroad. I do miss my 85 Blazer Silverado though, nothing like knowing you can run over someone's house without thinkin twice about it. To keep it simple.... 350 motor, 6" lift, 35x12.5QR18 BFG Mud Terrains, and straight pipe dual exhaust. Obviously the Pathy will never reach that level, but it's a nice truck for a daily driver and it does well offroad. My dillema is whether or not to sell it and save money to build another monster truck haha. Is the Pathy worth holdin onto?

get some 31 x 10s u can lift the front end about two inchs by jacking up the torsion bars with a impact gun which will give you some more clearance and have a lil more faith in the pathy shell take you anywhere you wanna go

• 8 months later...

Excluding the cost of new tires, I have oh, i'd say at MOST 500-700 into my truck as far as offroad modifications go, and it can perform alongside 10,000 purchased vehicles with another 3k in mods!

man, I wish I had 3k to spend on mods, thats an SAS!

• 3 weeks later...

I have to say I bought my pathfinder to build for 1 run last summer thinking it would be dead by the time i made it home, I am now proud to say it gets used more offroad then my dodge i have fallen in love with the pathy. It out dose my and others expectations of the rig allot. It is not to build 3+3 lift trimming 33 swampers and steering upgrades. With just those mods still open front and rear it has ran some double black diamond trails.

for those who don't know the trail rating system used here is it green=easy, blue=moderate, black=hard, black diamond=difficult, double black diamond= more difficult, and triple black diamond= most difficult. A note on triple black diamonds i only know of 1 in Oregon and that is crushers at browns camp with i have seen the truck that won TTC 2010 brake parts on.

Granted My pathfinder isn't near done. working on a dana 44 sas, alteast a rear locker, then will be doing a 3.3 engine swap. I have to say a pathfinder can make a unbelievable trail rig. The one place i do prefer my dodge still is in the mud but thats all about the horsepower.

• 1 month later...

Here is what happens to a Silverado on a tough trail. At this point the truck is completely disabled. Smashed cross member and broken tailshaft = ATF all over the trail and an hour of tugging to get the heap out of the way. My Pathfinder made it over the same obstacle relatively easily.

IMG_3226.jpg

My Pathy in action.

• 3 weeks later...

your pathfinder also has a much shorter wheelbase than a fullsize pickup. I don't think stock pickups are quite as good as stock SUV's when it comes to wheeling as they have very little weight over the rear axle