Best Anti-Theft Device

John Boy

So my Pathfinder is coming along nicely, had the windows tinted today but thing is I'm paranoid of making it look to good as it will be a invitation to be stolen so I was wondering besides the club and lojack what other anti theft devices are worth taking a look at.

to be honest theres nothing you can really do to be theft proof...keep receipts on everything and keep it up to date with ure insurance company (esp on the electronics) and possibly get it appraised so in the event that u do get broken into you can get the $ to replace it...

i also have pictures of everything thats in my truck

IMO the more precautions you take the to prevent a break in or things to get stolen the more damage that is going to be done while they remove it b/c where theres a will theres a way

don't even waste your time with the club.. that's the biggest joke out there.

I agree, they just cut the steering wheel with a cordless sawzall. I was wondering if those transmission shifter locks on automatics are any good.

Alarm with pager. No sense putting the siren outside... Nobody cares but you. If you MUST have the siren, put it INSIDE the car. Maybe it will annoy the thief enough that they'll give up.

And a hidden ignition disabler can slow them down - but be careful. It needs to be an ultra-reliable system. I bought a vehicle that had an ignition disabler installed by a "professional". It disabled the ignition while I was passing a truck and hit a pothole. The "professional" used a cheap a$$ switch...

You can NOT prevent a serious thief. All you can do is make it annoying enough that maybe, just maybe, they'll go for an easier target.

Oh, and taking the wheels with you is a good deterrent. But kinda inconvenient....

ok more serious note you could always get a steering wheel quick diconnect from summit racing or jegs and or try an oversized bicycle lock(the ones shaped like a u-bolt) and lock your clutch pedal and brake pedel together....thats if you got a manual

i have never ran into things like this. no one steals cars in this neighborhood. but the ignition switch disabler thing sounds like a cool mod to do. and when i do park in areas of a high theft rate i just remove my ignition relay from the relay box right under the steering wheel. hopefully they are stupid enough to not know its the relay.

Hmm John Boy, that seems interesting...

B

I called and they will come right to your house or work and do the install which takes 3 hours, all included in the price with a lifetime warranty. Also you can keep your keyless entry and any alarm you may have.

In NY we have a wee bit of a car theft problem. They target older models like a 95 for the parts value.

Simple and cheap mod is to disconnect the trigger wire from the starter, hook it up to a starter button, and install the starter button inside the cab in a well hidden area were you can still reach it. This will completely disable your key from starting the truck. You still have to use the key to turn the truck on, then you hit the button. They(thieves) can mutalate the steering column and will never get the thing started unless the happen to find your button. The button cost about $3 at a auto parts store. As for tools... all you need is a drill(for the button) and stuff to wire the switch up. Takes about 15 to 30mins.

I've been using this method for almost a year. I did this as a temporary mod because my key wouldn't start the truck every time. I'm planning to leave it like this for the security reasons. After about a week I got used to hitting the button instead of using the key.

The Club is pretty useful as a deterent. It may not STOP a thief, but most thieves will just move on to an easier target if you have one on the wheel.

Around here we have a bunch of young punks that would rather break your window to steal a crappy radio or change($$$) from the ash tray than actually steal the car. Worse thing is... IF you catch'em you can't touch'em. You pretty much have the right to stand there and yell while they run away. Beat'em up or even just hold'em against their will till the cops get there and YOU will be the one on the way to jail. It's BS...

Simple and cheap mod is to disconnect the trigger wire from the starter, hook it up to a starter button, and install the starter button inside the cab in a well hidden area were you can still reach it. This will completely disable your key from starting the truck. You still have to use the key to turn the truck on, then you hit the button. They(thieves) can mutalate the steering column and will never get the thing started unless the happen to find your button. The button cost about $3 at a auto parts store. As for tools... all you need is a drill(for the button) and stuff to wire the switch up. Takes about 15 to 30mins.

I've been using this method for almost a year. I did this as a temporary mod because my key wouldn't start the truck every time. I'm planning to leave it like this for the security reasons. After about a week I got used to hitting the button instead of using the key.

The Club is pretty useful as a deterent. It may not STOP a thief, but most thieves will just move on to an easier target if you have one on the wheel.

Around here we have a bunch of young punks that would rather break your window to steal a crappy radio or change($$$) from the ash tray than actually steal the car. Worse thing is... IF you catch'em you can't touch'em. You pretty much have the right to stand there and yell while they run away. Beat'em up or even just hold'em against their will till the cops get there and YOU will be the one on the way to jail. It's BS...

It's a good idea but they usually just pop the hood and jump out the starter. Good thing about the Ravelco is it dissables other things like the fuel pump.

Edited by John Boy