new to pathfinders - just bought a '92

gxl90rx7

Hey, im new to the forum, i just bought a 92 pathfinder xe. 4wd, auto, 180k miles, all stock, straight body. Other than broken driver and passenger window switches, it looks to be in good condition. New timing belt, water pump, everything else original. Got a decent deal, $1800. I plan on using it for towing and maybe some offroading on the weekends, maybe daily drive it during the summer, since it is my only vehicle with working AC now, lol. Tomorrow im going to flush the fluids, and do a tune up. Ill take some pics tomorrow and post them

Edited by gxl90rx7

hmmm... a 92.... I guess you'll be spending quite a bit of time here on the boards. Lots of good info for all those little things that are due to go bad. The search button is your friend but don't be afraid to ask if you can't find something. Welcome!

WAVEY hello and welcome! :beer: if you'll be towing with your pathy (and even if you aren't) and it's an automatic, i suggest ASAP a tranny cooler. bypass the stock one.. they have a tendency to prematurely fry the auto trannys....

if you'll be towing with your pathy (and even if you aren't) and it's an automatic, i suggest ASAP a tranny cooler. bypass the stock one.. they have a tendency to prematurely fry the auto trannys....

Thanks, after doing some reading on the forum, that will be my first upgrade.

thanks for all the responses, here are some pics i took today. still havent had a chance to wash it though. It has a lot of broken interior pieces, and i still need to take out the ****** window tinting

100_0218.jpg

100_0219.jpg

I did a lot of driving in it yesterday, and she seemed to hold up ok. The tranny seems to act funny sometimes, i was trying to pass somebody on the interstate, and the tranny felt like it shifted into 2nd and redlined the tach! I didnt even have it floored.

The other problem is it feels like it is always in 4WD mode, its hard to steer even in 2H. Ive driven other pathfinders before, and they felt the same way, but only in 4H or 4L mode. Is there any easy way to test to see if the front hubs are unlocked (they are the auto-locking type)?

You have auto hubs, yes. One may be stuck. If you jack it up and spin a front wheel, the CV axle should not spin. If it spins with the wheel, the hub is locked up or damaged internally and making it spin the CV and front differential at all times, which would cause your "stiff steering" feel.

• 7 years later...