bad things coming?

k9sar

Just wanting to confirm my suspicions...

This morning, I went to leave for work, got into the pathy, turned the key and 'click'.

battery?... turned on lights... ok, radio on.. ok... headlights work... probably not the battery. Threw a volt meter on it... 12.5V. checked the fusable link... looks ok.

Tried again... I can definately hear the starter relay clicking so it's not the ignition switch or relay. The only thing left, in my mind, is the starter. If the starter is bad, there should be no pull on the battery when I try to turn it over. If ther engine is preventing the starter from turning (like if it were seized), there would be a heavy pull on the battery. Threw the volt meter on it again and turned the key... this time it gave a tiny hesitation then started fine and the battery read 14V (under charge while running so I know my alternator is ok too. bonus)

Anyway... turned it off and started it back up no problems. 3 or 4 times before I left the driveway. Off to work. Once here, turned it off, crossed my fingers and turned the key... started up fine. hmmmmm....

I'm thinking I might have a bad spot on my starter where the brushes just aren't making contact and I got lucky when it finally started.

agree? disagree? suggestions? Anyone done their owwn rebuild or just throw a new/rebuilt one in?

You could be right about the brushes, but I had a similar condition when I had a bad ground. I had a loose connection on the negative terminal and all my accessories would work, but it wouldn't fire. I tightened, then broke P... my terminal, so I bought a new one, tightened it up, and she fired right up. Might be worth a look.

Good luck.

I'm thinking I might have a bad spot on my starter where the brushes just aren't making contact and I got lucky when it finally started.

sounds about right...a tip is if it does it again u can keep bumping it till it cranks but u can also get out and rock the truck back and forth and it'll usually move it off the bad spot...

I'm in the same boat as simon, this happend to me on two of my past vehicles. Truck would just click when you turned the key, all the accessories worked, turned out to just be a loose connection on the battery. Might be worth looking into before you replace a whole starter :-)

Yep, check the electrical connections at the battery, the main ground, at the starter, etc. I'd bet thats the issue. Also, due to the location of the starter and that damn oil filter, the starter gets soaked in oil. When I replaced my clutch, I pulled the starter and used 1.5 cans of electrical contact/brake cleaner on it to get it clean before reinstalling. It looked like a waste oil sump pump !!!

B

I know this isn't much help but the same thing happened to me about 5 months ago. I hate trying to troubleshoot intermittent problems, especially electrical, so I left it. It still hasn't reoccured. If (when?) it comes back and stays for a while, I will try checking the voltage at the starter with ign on. If that is good then off comes the starter.

Brian

I know this isn't much help but the same thing happened to me about 5 months ago. I hate trying to troubleshoot intermittent problems, especially electrical, so I left it. It still hasn't reoccured. If (when?) it comes back and stays for a while, I will try checking the voltage at the starter with ign on. If that is good then off comes the starter.

Brian

it may not be the starter at all but just the wireing to it.

Mine did the same thing when my starter went bad. It would usually start if I got out and beat on the starter, but that only worked for a month an it was completely toast. Replaced it in the middle of winter (Day after Xmas)with no power and sitting in 8" of snow with 2" of ice on top :blink:

The first time my starter went it was a flat spot on the armature.

I rebuilt it after draining all the oil out of it. I put in new brushes (from a Hardbody as no one had a listing for the Pathy) in -had to sodder them in. Worked fine for a year and then it started going bad. I used an old golf club 1 iron to pound the starter to get it going. That only lasted for a few weeks. Had to replace it again...in the winter.

Hillclimber got his rebuilt for a very good price.

sounds like the following sequence of steps...

1. ignore it until it happens again

2. if/when it does happen again, check grounds/connections

3. check voltage at starter to make sure she's gettin juice

4. beat it with a golf club

5. roll it back and forth in the driveway (or wherever)

6. wave a chicken bone cross and chant crazy things in portuguese

7. take it out and apart and look for obvious wear and tear

8. attempt a rebuild

9. rip it back out after it fails to work after the rebuild

10. beat it with a golf club again since it was so fun the first time

11. go out and buy one (new or rebuilt) and quit screwing around with it.

Mine has been doing this recently also, and near as I can tell, its a loose and crusty + terminal at the battery. Of course, I've got a new gold plated on sitting inside where its been for 2 weeks cause I've been too busy. :D I'd 2nd the electrical connections first. Besides, that's free (or close to it) so you might as well start there first.

k9sar, you are just out of starting fluid... It's at every auto parts store, I can't believe you let it get so low !! Just go buy some and fill the starter... :D

B

damnit! someone mislabled my blinker fluid and I accidentally added it for my starter. geez I hope that doesn't screw things up too much. It should have been obvious when the starter kept turning on and off

In that case, it's probably not a flat spot on the starter, but you were trying to start it on an "off" time in blinker mode!!!

This should teach you to ALWAYS label vital fluids properly. :contract:

• 1 month later...

update... leaving for soccer today... clicky clicky, no startey. Crawled under and beat it with a hammer. Started fine. After soccer, with fingers crossed, started fine. Leaving tonight to go help at the church, click. Crawled under with my hammer... WHAM... turned the key and started. Trying to come home tonight(pouring down rain)... click click... WHAM... click click... WHAM WHAM WHAM WHAM... click click... *#&%&!)&%)!#&!@*($)@$*&(%_)%*!#_(%*WHAM WHAM WHAM WHAM WHAM WHAM (#*$&)!#$&)#!$&)!#&)!#&)!.... click click... SH!T!!!!!! Guess what I'm doing Monday morning? grrrrrrrrrr! Gotta tow it home and get it fixed before noon as I have a training class from noon to 4pm.

Edited by k9sar