Katrina took it away

JonesyUSN

Okay this sucks. Im in the navy so I had to leave my pathy on base when we left to escape the hurricane. It went at least ten feet underwater. :angry::angry::angry::angry: so now I have to figure out what I want to replace it. I know Ill never fully replace it but I need something almost as good. What do you guys and gals think about 2005 Jeep Rubicon.. ? The extended one. I like there off road stuff. But I dont know anything about the Jeep line. I spittin between that and an 05 Ford Ranger or Nissan Frontier. Im looking for whats more practical. I dont do as much off roadin now that im married but I still want to have the capability. I want my pathfinder back :sniff: :sniff:

Im not too hot on the engines that have only been out a few years. Id rather stick with something thats been around long enough to have the kinks worked out. My reason for the Jeep. That 4 litre has been there for 25 years. But it is a though. My wife hated the pathy, but I like it. She didnt fair too well in it when she drove it off road. She used to have a jeep and loved it. and swears by it. Ive seen a lot of jeeps do a lot of amazing things. plus there are 58 millions parts and accessories for them.. The only way Id buy something older is if I could get a nice ZR2 s10.. I like those a lot.

Rubicons (both short and long wheelbase) will not be practical in any way. I'd recommend getting them only if you're planning to actually wheel often.

They're rough, loud, and suck on gas. Also even with the extended wheelbase, they are stupidly small inside.

Just how much off roading will you do? Because it's hard to say from your post.

If it's just towing a small boat to a lake or going camping, maybe something like CR-V or Legacy Wagon will be enough?

Sorry Bud, that sucks !! Have you considered a 4x4 Frontier truck 4 door (incase your family grows ;) ) or Xterra ?? Personally, I'd stay away from most american cars but they are cheap now ! Good luck with your search and sorry about the loss...

B

Sorry to hear of the lose, hope everything else is OK with you.

When I was shopping for a SUV for work, I narrowed it down to 3 choices for the funds I had:

01-03 Pathfinder

98-01 4Runner

02-04 Liberty

The Toyotas are expensive compared to the Pathy, the Liberty had a much worse ride and poorer fuel economy. If you are set on a Jeep, try the Liberty. It is way more practical than the Rubicon and has almost the same off-road capabilities. And they are way cheap, at least around here.

My 2 cents (1.4 in US funds :D )

I used to work for a dealership that had Honda Mazda and Nissan. Ill never own a honda suv or truck. I dont do a lot of wheeling but when I do I dont mess around. I like to get dirty and deep in mud. Ive entered into several hill climbs. Plus I will return to the north when I get out of the navy where a lot more mountanous trails are. There isnt much here for hills or anything. I guess I could climb the rubble at my apt complex. But thats about the extent of it. Hell there plenty of mud now. I just dont want to see a great trail and have to drive past cus I drive a crappy suv. Thats why I liked the pathy. It wasnt good on gas either. I can live with gas costs it doesn bother me. The military pays enough. kinda...

If you are set on a Jeep, try the Liberty.  It is way more practical than the Rubicon and has almost the same off-road capabilities..

:confused:

Maybe check out the Toyotas. The TeeughhRrrDeee editions are fairly cool. I simply cannot recommend new Nissans anymore. Front R180 diffs? chu gotta be kiddin mang!

Edited by Filthy Luker

I've always admired the Jeep Rubicon, but that's because I'm a teenager. A Rubicon simply isn't good as a family car. I would recommend the Toyota Tacoma or the Chevy Colorado. The Colorado's I-5 is simply the Trailblazer's 270 horsepower I-6 with a cylinder chopped off. So considering the Trailblazer has been out for what, 4-5 years?... the engine has been proven. And the gas mileage is very good. I haven't looked at them lately, but when they first came out they were a little pricey for the Z71 4x4's. If that price has come below the Tacoma's, I would go for the Chevy. Just my opinion though.

:o I'm terribly sorry to hear of your loss. :( :sniff: :sniff: Just be glad it was the Pathfinder and not you. :aok:

I'v seen a couple of NISMO Off Road edition Frontiers and they look sweet. The Xterras are awesome too (but the new body styling :oops: ). That being said the extended Rubicons are nice, lockers front and rear... Of course the new Frontiers and Titans come with that too ;) Of course the Liberty comes in a diesel, and you could save a "boatload" :laugh: (sorry I just had too) of money by making your own biodiesel, not to mention help the environment at the same time! Really there are a lot of choices out there. I haven't even mentioned Land Rovers or the Dodge Powerwagon or any of Toyotas offerings!

The only way Id buy something older is if I could get a nice ZR2 s10.. I like those a lot.

I like the looks of those too, but my buddy has one and has had a lot of problems with it (rattles, squeaks, shifting, electrics) and he doesn't even leave the street. I' d spend my $25,000 or so on something else. I used to have a '87 Wrangler and besides all the mechanical problems, it had zero room inside. Basically, I have no advice on what to buy, just on what NOT to buy. :P

well another pathy would definately be good.. but the wife doesnt think so. She loves goin muddin with me and driving and she hated driving the pathy.. I dunno why.. the dimensions were perfect. Im actually considering getting another only 2 door this time and dropping one of those terrano diesles in it. My buddy had an old patrol body.. that would kick a$$ to get something under it. I dunno im so confused without the pathy. its scary.. thanks for the boat joke Ill remember that.... as i said before im a little uneasy about the i-5 thing chevy has goin on. besides those things are ugly.. i dont like the styling. I think my wife is gonna be set in stone.. im chippin away for another pathy.. hopefully the diesel thing will work. The dealership i used to work for will import one for me. I know the owner so i wont get raped on the price or anything. my back yard mechanic buddy jim bob will put it in. (jimmy) im guessing id need lots of new stuff.. electrical, and ok everything.. i never though of life without the pathy i cant think straight :sniff: :sniff:

Okay this sucks. Im in the navy so I had to leave my pathy on base when we left to escape the hurricane. It went at least ten feet underwater.

you should of had a snorkel. :P

i'm sorry to hear about you loosing your path. but they atleast have you life. a vehicle can be replaced. stick with nissan. get and newer path or frontier. both came in 2nd place in car and driver test. frontier beat the taco TRD. and path beat the 4runner. you mentioned getting a rubicon. all you'll need to do is lift it and you're ready to rock. good luck with everything. :beer:

Sorry to hear about your pathy... :(

If your looking for something to wheel, and your wife didnt like the pathy - because she didnt like the size compared to a Jeep - I cant see her being happy with any of the other choices mentioned...

The amount of money you would have to pay for a new Rubi - seems like a lot if youre only gonna pound the snot out of it.. ??? However, older jeeps = more up keep.

You have my vote on the new Fronty - not based on any of your criteria - just thatI like em! :)

• 2 weeks later...

thanks guys and gals. I think im actually going to get a 4 banger sports car. I was thinking about some of the s2000's or even some integras. I was also considering a 96 or 97 thunderbird. i think it will just better that way as far as gas goes. Ill be traveling a lot too because my base is going to close because of the water damage. Ill be 8 hours away from the wife and i dont want to drive that in a gas guzzler. Thanks again for all your input. Ill keep you posted on what I decide.