How many are cosidering ditching their Pathy?

keithb7

Over the past 2 weeks my wife and I have seriously considered selling her 93 Pathfinder. We are averaging about $300 (Canadian) per month in gas expenses. The cost of fuel is beginning to out weight the vehicle's benefits. The Pathfinder allows us a certian life style not easily found in more fuel efficient cars. Examples are seeing the back county in 4x4, towing our utility trailer with the dirtbikes, taking the boat to the lake, safe winter driving in the snow, having room for 5 people and groceries, attaching 4 bicycles on the rear , etc etc... Down sizing to a Jetta diesel...Well, that changes a lot of things. After much debate we decided to keep the Pathy, for now. It's paid for in full, a new car payment plus fuel expenses if we buy new, would most likely be more than $300 per month. So really we may be saving fuel costs, but over all are no further ahead. Our plan is to do some serious saving this winter, next spring re-evaluate the situation, and cosider again that diesel Jetta wagon. Anyone else thinking thse same sort of thoughts?

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I would give it some serious thought if the Pathy was just a grocery getter and my lifestyle didn't require the use of an SUV.

That's why I bought those six cup holders (http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=5539)

Being a bit more modified, my gas mileage is around the 10-12 mpg. My other daily driver was on it's way out, so I was driving the Pathy daily for a few weeks. I do a ton of driving during the week so that cost me 100.00+ a week for gas.

Instead of 250kms per tank from the Pathy, I now can get 700+kms per tank at half the price of a Pathy fill up. I do have the car payment, but the Pathy stays parked, keeps the street miles off of it, I don't have to fight to drive it (super soft suspension, no sway bars, locked rear grabbing the ruts makes for a not so fun drive in the city).

I'd never sell the Pathy as it is purpose built now and used for a ton of other uses.We just needed an efficient commuter.

I have run into this crossroad last time when gas was spiking over $2.25. I decided to bite the bullet and kept the pathy. Now that gas in Chicago is over $3, I have to reconsider again. I am sad to say that I must now let my pathy go :(

:(

Tomorrow I will be trading my pathy in for possibly a Toyota Corolla or a Mazda 3(from a guzzler to a sipper). I really loved my pathfinder. But damn it!, gas is so expensive now. :sniff:

I don't do any offroading or backtrailing so that won't be missed. But being able to trudge through over 12" of snow was AWESOME!! *sigh*...the pathfinder was such a fun car to drive :sniff: I'll miss it for sure.

I have run into this crossroad last time when gas was spiking over $2.25. I decided to bite the bullet and kept the pathy. Now that gas in Chicago is over $3, I have to reconsider again. I am sad to say that I must now let my pathy go :(

:(

Tomorrow I will be trading my pathy in for possibly a Toyota Corolla or a Mazda 3(from a guzzler to a sipper). I really loved my pathfinder. But damn it!, gas is so expensive now. :sniff:

I don't do any offroading or backtrailing so that won't be missed. But being able to trudge through over 12" of snow was AWESOME!! *sigh*...the pathfinder was such a fun car to drive :sniff: I'll miss it for sure.

Man those are some of the saddest words ever spoken by a Pathy owner. I hope that things work out!

It has flitted across the logical part of my brain a few times, and the dominant, illogical part just punts the idea into next week... Having 2 motorcycles, 1 vw bug and the pathy just tells me to cut down. I may sell 1 or 2 bikes (2=buy 1) and have a profit, finish the VW project for fuel sipping milage, and the Pathy stays ! Even if I don't drive it much, it doesn't cost a lot to sit most the time and it is my 'urban escape pod' be it he!!, high water, bombs, or a badly needed trip into the hills. Depending on how things go I may add a econobeater if necessary. :shrug:

B

It is all about the lifestyle you live if in fact you just use it for the occasional jont to the back country road every once in awhile then it would seem that you could live without it and you probably won't miss it.

If you love the outdoors and use your pathy's 4wd 1/4-1/2 the time of your driving then buy a small commuter car and keep the pathy for your excursions :aok:

If you find that your in 4wd 1/2-3/4 of the time a car will not help you here. You will now have to "suck it up cupcake" because you can't live without your pathy.

100% Well it's ano brainer

:beer:

I made a post asking about the X-Trail as a possible option to the Pathfinder :hide: . I use mine for work, so it is not a real option right now but paying $60+ per tank hurts. I now try my hardest to get better mileage, and by doing that I got an average of 25.1 MPG going from Merritt to Vanderhoof return last week :aok: . Not bad for a "gas guzzler" (see my post under gas mileage for more details).

:shrug: Tough choice, especially for those of us with higher gas prices (ie Canada).

:shrug:  Tough choice, especially for those of us with higher gas prices (ie Canada).

I think Europeans pay twice as much as us on this side of the atlantic. I'm glad I'm not there.

I too have been considering another smaller car, but I would keep my truck. I use my Pathy for work daily (hauling tools) and almost every weekend for fun. Sharing the Jetta with my girl for after work driving is an inconvenience sometimes.

I drive ~15,000miles/year. From Mem Day-Labor Day its about 5K. As much as I hate to think about it, it seems like a AWD minivan would be the ideal vehicle for me. My Pathy is paid of and has enough miles on it that I owuld like to keep it forever so that will save me some dignity. My primary activities are downhill mtb racing, skiing, and camping. I also sleep in my truch fairly often. It sucks to think about, but a van seems to be the best overall option for me. I've also thought about getting an econocar like you have mentioned and getting a small trailer for it. Last summer really changed my perspective. I drove my mom's Volvo 850 wagon from Boston to West Virginia and back for a race. The previous summer my gf and I took my Pathy. Total fuel savings were $150+. Time saving was in the neighborhood of 2 hours each way. Its too bad that a Pathy cannot come anywhere close to matching 25mpg overall (30+ on flats, WV in incredibly mountainous) at 85mph.

But all that being said, I think that my next vehicle will be a 2004 Xterra. Better mpg than an '05 with only slightly less hp.

I plan on keeping the Pathy no matter what I do which will make any future decisions much easier to make.

Edited by Repack

I made a post asking about the X-Trail as a possible option to the Pathfinder :hide: . I use mine for work, so it is not a real option right now but paying $60+ per tank hurts. I now try my hardest to get better mileage, and by doing that I got an average of 25.1 MPG going from Merritt to Vanderhoof return last week :aok: . Not bad for a "gas guzzler" (see my post under gas mileage for more details).

:shrug: Tough choice, especially for those of us with higher gas prices (ie Canada).

holy crap 25 mpg???? is that even possible in a pathfinder.. let alone with all those steep ass tranny eating hills in the area? If im lucky i get 700 km's to a tank making the trip from Vancouver to kelowna. mind you im speeding like madman as much as i can.

I made a post asking about the X-Trail as a possible option to the Pathfinder  :hide: .  I use mine for work, so it is not a real option right now but paying $60+ per tank hurts.  I now try my hardest to get better mileage, and by doing that I got an average of 25.1 MPG going from Merritt to Vanderhoof return last week  :aok: .  Not bad for a "gas guzzler" (see my post under gas mileage for more details).

:shrug:  Tough choice, especially for those of us with higher gas prices (ie Canada).

holy crap 25 mpg???? is that even possible in a pathfinder.. let alone with all those steep ass tranny eating hills in the area? If im lucky i get 700 km's to a tank making the trip from Vancouver to kelowna. mind you im speeding like madman as much as i can.

Yep, 25.1 to be exact, over just under 1,400 km. Actually, it is not as hilly as driving the Coq. I got 24 MPG in January driving down from Qusnel, with some AWD.

To save gas, I use the cruise as much as possible, keep to the posted speed limit (as long as I do not hold people up) and be gentle with the gas pedal. The MPG's drops off quick at 110 KM/H (like the Coq) and/or on hills, MPG is more like 20-22 at 110 (The Caribou Highway is 100 KM/H speed limit). I really have to work at it but it CAN be done! And this saves me and my clients money.

Trannie eating hills? That is exactly what my mechanic in Merritt said as well, so the Pathy now has an external trannie cooler and I make very liberal use of the overdrive switch.

But all that being said, I think that my next vehicle will be a 2004 Xterra. Better mpg than an '05 with only slightly less hp.

Well FYI -study- the 04 X's don't get that great gas mileage they have allot less hp then the 05 X and they have a 4sp tranni unless you op for the manual 5spd

04 non-supercharged is I do believe around 190 and whith the supercharger it is 210hp Crazy4sno can correct me as I might be off by 5 or 10hp with the 04 X's.

The new X has a 265hp and a 5spd tranni or 6spd man. So it gets pretty good mileage compared to the previous X's.

So the difference in hp is like around 70hp that's quite allot :blink:

If im lucky i get 700 km's to a tank making the trip from Vancouver to kelowna. mind you im speeding like madman as much as i can.

Ok am I reading right you said you get 700km's per tank I'm thinking typo :type: as this would be about 28-30mpg. Hell even brand new the pathy has only seen 600km's just highway driving on cruise no hills just flat highway and this was short lived. Brand new the average tank was 500km's highway and city.

The speed was set at 109kph. So now the pathy averages 430-450km's per tank have to change some sensors.

My X has seen 600km's per tank but again only straight highway driving mixed it gets 500km's per tank.

These are summer averages winter will be allot Lower we'll be lucky between both of us to get 700km's per both tanks -alcohol-

My drive to work is about a mile. So I wont consider ditching it. If I was making 200+mile trips a month I would ditch it for shure but not now.

Just keep that tach below 2500 and she lasts all month on a half a tank. Now when my girls in town thats another story.

Honestly, considered it. But I figure I drive the most during the summer (off-roading, getting to campgrounds, trail heads, etc) At school it sits unless I need to run errands, come home, or head to the mountains for a weekend(unfortunately, rather rare) so my wallet should stop hurting once i am back in Ohio. Plus gas is cheaper there than Virginia.

05 X gets better gas milage and has more horse then 04.

Repak, how the hell did you save 2h per trip.. i know them volvos have 5 bagers but didn't know about warp speed.. wtf??? :huh:

derogate, canadians speeding like mad??? what you guys talking aboot? 100km/h is not speeding like mad... i drove 110< most of the time there and passed everybody, and i mean everybody! where the hell are the cops up there?? didn't see any in 5 days.. mind you, not that i really needed to see one :D

Edited by mzxtreme

derogate, canadians speeding like mad??? what you guys talking aboot? 100km/h is not speeding like mad... i drove 110< most of the time there and passed everybody, and i mean everybody! where the hell are the cops up there?? didn't see any in 5 days.. mind you, not that i really needed to see one :D

I guess you did not drive in Alberta! :lol: My sister lives in Calgary, came for a visit and was doing about 140 KM/H in her Acura. Seems typical of Albertans.

Also, with our gas prices being higher, I have noticed that speeds on the highway have generally dropped off.