new to the 4x4 world

Hi all,

I have not officialy got my pathfinder yet but it should be within the next coupple of days just waiting for some last minute details to go through.

This is my first 4x4. I have been arround the 4x4 comunity for some time now and I have researced many types of 4x4's as potential rigs. I kinda fell into this deal with this pathfinder it is a 88 xe v6 with a trailmaster 4" suspension lift already installed with a grizzly brush gaurd and 31" BFG AT's it has some rust acutaly quite a bit but i can fix it enough to drive it for the next 2 years that i plan to have it. I am planning on putting 32" BFG MT's or a simmilar type tire on it. It also needs a new clutch. I found one for $185 shipped to me so that is no big deal either. I will be getting this truck for $100 not a bad deal huh?

Let me know what you think and also if you could give me some ideas of more budjet minded mods to do to this truck. I have been looking for some sway bar quick disconnects for it but they seem not to exsist. Any tips that you guys have for me would be greatly appreicated.

thanks

1. Brush guards are useless. They are usually made of light duty tubing and will fold onto the body panels/hood/lights, etc in the event of them being needed in action. Just take the thing off.

2. Take the rear sway bar off, i personally took both front and rear off on my vehicle, and it helped greatly with articulation. However i would't recommend taking the front off right away. It makes the vehicle handle very very differently, or not at all actually.

First mods:

- CB radio

- recovery equipment (recovery straps, hi-lift, shovel, chains, etc)

- rock sliders (they can be fabbed up for cheap)

Cheers.

I will be driving this rig on the road as well as in the woods just about equal use for each. It will be a daily driver in the winter time, and I have to get it to the trails whenever I go as this is my tow vechicle (for cars). Also here the road are the furthest thing from being straight. With that in mind do you think it would still be best if I just remove the sway bar(s)?

Budget swaybar disconnects = wrench.

Congrats on the Pathy and Welcome. :aok:

Yeah, I do that on my 93, it takes like 2min with 2 wrenches to undo one side on the rear. The front bars are worthless, I removed them on my trucks.

welcome!... consider a steering upgrade, and amybe a body lift and throw some 33's on her.. your half way there! and 100 bucks! nice deal. :aok:

What kind of steering upgrade are you talking about, any links would be great. I dont't plan on adding any more lift to it and I am not going bigger than 32s but thanks for the recomendation

A stock steering system on most Nissans wasn't designed with lift in mind. The altered angle of the tie rod assembly puts enormous stress on the stock centerlink.

Stock there is only side to side forces on the centerlink, but because of a lift there is upward force being applied by inner tie rods. That upward force wears out the joints that are between centerlink and pitman as well as idler arms.

It's a well documented issue and it will happen sooner or later. Even if you get a brand new stock centerlink it will be gone in a few wheeling trips.

There are few solutions, starting with homebrewed systems, to overpriced fancy ones.

Good start would be here

http://www.lpperformance.com/Steering.htm

http://purenissan.com/wd21_steering.htm

If you know somebody with a machine shop they should be able to fab up something for you for cheap as well. It's not hard to weld on a section of steel to the stock centerlink and press in some spherical bearings.

Welcome. Great deal. I'm sure you'll love your Pathfinder. I took my swaybars off too. It's nothing you can't get used to. You should consider getting to that rust as one of your first projects. I bet you'll want this truck for a while. Good luck with the mods.

welcome!... consider a steering upgrade, and amybe a body lift and throw some 33's on her.. your half way there! and 100 bucks! nice deal. :aok:

What kind of steering upgrade are you talking about, any links would be great. I dont't plan on adding any more lift to it and I am not going bigger than 32s but thanks for the recomendation

what filthy luker said.. and give it time.. you will want more lift and bigger tires. :beer:

I have heard it many time before you weill always want more lift as you whels more but I am ply going to have this truck for 2 years them I will be moving back to the states and I can only ship one vechicle adn that will be my current daily driver a 2004 VW golf GTI 1.8t that i am still paying on. I am geting the pathfinder as a winter vechicle so I do not have to drive my new VW in the snow and alsi so I can have some fun wheeling while I am here. I was planning on getting a Jepp to wheel when I get back to the states. Most likely it will be a cheroke or comanche 4.0 4x4. Aslo while I am here there is not many place to wheel so the trrain I will be encountering will not be too crazy. I do have another question about the pathfinder though. I read on another fourm that all pathfinders hava lsd rear dif is that true of is my model one of the ones that does? If it is an optional thing how can I tell if I have a lsd rear or not? thanks

lsd should have an orange sticker on it.. some pathys came with open diffs.

you could container that truck too.. not sure why you're saying you can't.. hmm

there are places to wheel in deutchland from what i have seen in pictures.. it's like couple of grand for the container and i am sure both vehicles and all your junk can fit in one...