Off-road Kit

Ale

I'd be interested to know what sort of supplies experienced off-road enthusiasts take with them whenever they go into the bush. I'll get the ball rolling with the items I take, with the caveat that I'm fairly new to this. COmments or additional suggestions welcomed!

* Spare Tire (duh!)

* toolbox with a broad selection of tools and the Hanes manual for my vehicle.

* Hi-lift jack

* large can of Fix-A-Flat

* An electric lantern (fresh charge before the trip)

* LED Flashlight w/ spare batteries

* Several road flares

* roll of duct tape

* coil of electrical wire

* coil of heavy nylon rope

* gas-powered chainsaw

* jerry can with extra gas

* a large container of engine oil

* first aid kit

* Lighter

* Compass & topographical map of the area

* collapsible shovel

* chainsaw

* a really large tarp

* Enough spare food/water for a couple of days

* Cell phone

* 2 blankets

* A small tent & sleeping bag

Any other suggestions? :)

-AL

You might want to add

c.b's or frs radios

hand winch

tire chains (depending on muskeg or heavy snow)

tow strap

question you have chainsaw and gas powered chainsaw I'm under the assumption you cary an electric as well :huh:

Other then that you are far the most prepred day wheeler that I know of.

When I go out for some local afternoon wheelin I bring me and my tow strap and cell as there is towers locally.

:beer:

Hey Ale, just how deep into jungle you planning on going ?? :P I'd ditch the chainsaws (both of them), and the engine oil (other than a quart). I'd add FIRE EXTINGUISHERS (mount 2 small automotive ones in your truck somewhere), a tire plug kit, a midweight axe, a tire pump (high volume is nice), change of clothes/shoes, couple of tow straps and a come-along IF you know how to use it safely. That'll see you through about anything. I'm sure others will have an item or two...

Oh, almost forgot... BEER !! :beer:

B

I'm also from the "really prepared and rarely suffering" tribe...

Three main categories: Vehicle repair, personal comfort and navigation, and personal repair/survival

For tire repairs, I carry a couple old fashioned plug kits and a compact compressor. I have found them more reliable than fix a flat, and you can repair multiple tires and re-inflate as often as necessary.

No winch yet, so my main recovery tool is the Hi-Lift jack with shackles, chains, straps, ropes, etc so I can use it as a manual winch. Hi-Lift offers a $50 "winch" kit , but I made up my own for less.

I agree with most of what you said. Some other vehicle stuff:

- Quicksteel type putty epoxy for patching holes in metal things.

- Radiator and fuel tank epoxy

- Spare V belt for water pump/alternator (only one you REALLY need!)

- Heavy gloves

- Zip ties and bailing wire

- Several hose clamps, best quality duct tape, and small pieces of hose (slit, wrap, and clamp) to patch ruptured/cut hoses.

- compact multimeter

- large folding bow saw instead of chainsaw (takes longer, but lighter)

PC/Nav:

- hat

- sunscreen, bug juice

- GPS

- perhaps controversial, but I also carry self defense hand gun and train with it. Too many meth heads in the hills around here.... The mountain lions and rattlesnakes don't bother me much at all. But an inbred-abused-as-a-child-freak on wire? NOT predictable. I almost had to use it once... that was an extremely unpleasant situation - a complete nightmare I hope to never go through again.

- Whisky, cigars

I keep a personal survival kit in a knapsack in case I choose to abandon ship. Usually NOT a good idea, but sometimes I end up in places not originally on the itinerary I left behind. Which means much less chance of help.

- Paper and pen to leave a note in the truck telling S&R which way I was going and what I was wearing.

- very comprehensive FA kit, as much training as I can get, and a wilderness FA book. Never needed it for me...

- couple survival blankets (tiny, really versatile)

- plastic garbage bags (water protection)

- Waterproof matches, vaseline soaked cotton balls (most reliable fire starters)

- bottle of water, purification tablets

- energy bars

- compass, signal mirror, whistle, knife, small hatchet, cable saw

Toss in the topos or GPS (and batteries), the LED flashlight, and whatever else might come in handy and I'm ready for a reasonable pleasant (or at least survivable) stroll out...

haha wow. maybe one day i'll bring all that stuff yall mentioned. i just usually bring a shovel, a come along, 2 chains, a nylon strap, my cb with a 8 foot whip, cell phone, and plenty of fluids for the pathy to keep moving. also, i usually go with a friend that has a truck or suv that is as capable as i am. hopefully by the end of the summer, i'll have a winch.

Edited by gabod7

Sure Mr P, you are welcome to come along, as long as you are as well prepared... :P

Darn it mws, I was going to mention bringing an Oh Mighty Hand Cannon myself, but figured that if you lean that direction, it's a no brainer anyway... Personally, I prefer 12 gauge pump short barrel shotgun; light game shot for survival, 00 buck for nasty critters (2 or 4 legs) and slugs for evil damage at 50-100 yards. I always have the .357 derringer in a pocket incase of (other peoples) foolishness.

B

You might want to add

c.b's or frs radios

hand winch

tire chains (depending on muskeg or heavy snow)

tow strap

question you have chainsaw and gas powered chainsaw I'm under the assumption you cary an electric as well :huh:

Other then that you are far the most prepred day wheeler that I know of.

When I go out for some local afternoon wheelin I bring me and my tow strap and cell as there is towers locally.

:beer:

Whoops, no I just jotted the chainsaw down twice - I just have a gas one.

AL

Don't worry Bernard, I carry at least enough tools to fix most things even around town. When I'm out on the trail I'm usually camping, so there is already clothes, food, drink, etc. nearby. Oh, and cb & cell phone. Guess it just depends on how hard core/deep in/ alone you care to get. To each their own. Nobody I can think of has ever died from being over prepared, so kudos to those that goes the extra step or 10. :aok:

Al,

The only thing I would add is a good wool blanket, in case you need to spend the night in the truck :bed: (especially in BC) or need to deal with some one in shock.

I am not sure you need the chainsaw :confused: , a good axe and ropes/chains to pull with should work (not nuts about carrying fuel inside the passenger area of any vehicle, ok if its on the roof or out back). You are very well equipped, even I do not carry that much with me and I work in the bush. May want to re-think some of the other items but if you have the room, go for it.

Good to see you have a map and a compass :aok: . Make sure you know how to use them. GPS is great until the batteries die or the satellites are not clear enough (common under dense tree canopy). I use GPS for my work but rely on my compass and a good map (and air photos if you can get them).

Will

Al,

The only thing I would add is a good wool blanket, in case you need to spend the night in the truck :bed: (especially in BC) or need to deal with some one in shock.

I am not sure you need the chainsaw :confused: , a good axe and ropes/chains to pull with should work (not nuts about carrying fuel inside the passenger area of any vehicle, ok if its on the roof or out back). You are very well equipped, even I do not carry that much with me and I work in the bush. May want to re-think some of the other items but if you have the room, go for it.

Good to see you have a map and a compass :aok: . Make sure you know how to use them. GPS is great until the batteries die or the satellites are not clear enough (common under dense tree canopy). I use GPS for my work but rely on my compass and a good map (and air photos if you can get them).

Will

Dense tree canopy blocking my signal? No problem... I have a chainsaw remember? ;)

Seriously though. I don't have fuel in the chainsaw while its in the vehile and the jerry can is kept outside. Loading all the gear isn't really an issue cause I have most of it in a couple of plastic bins. I just toss them in the back and go.

Thanks for the suggestions

AL

What about spare parts that are known to go out on the trail like CVs, CLs, TRs, bearings, hubs,T-bars? :shrug:

what are we, jeepers? ... sorry, had to... :D

so no single guys added condoms to the list??

Very little use for those on the trail...

Out of all the folks on this board, yourself and Slick appear to be the only ladies we are likely to encounter on the trail... and you're both spoken for! :sniff:

I've still got that one in my wallet from 1996. B)

Wow :-) You guys make me look pathetic :-) So far my truck and I carry:

A) A shovel

2) A leatherman

3) A Cell Phone

Theres also a small chance of:

4) My 12 Gauge

Of course the list is growing, but my pathy and I are still getting used to each other, so we don't go out to far into the wilds.

The items below I almost alway's have in the truck...

• A tool box
  • Small easy to carry bag of tools
  • water, oil, PS and Brake fluid
  • spare water pump/alt v belt
  • come along and a few recovery straps
  • tie wraps and light rope
  • two blankets (one old wool military issue)
  • first aid kit
  • vacuum sealed and compacted TP ;)
  • few other things that escape me right now

When I make a "pre"planned trip I toss some other items in aswell.

Edited by RedPath88

As a general rule I always carry oil, tow straps, assorted parts, duct tape, water, pb blaster, rags, spare tire, tools, smokes, cell phone and a good selection of cd's....hehehe

for off road trips I add a bottle of jack!

I've seen a number of references to a "come along" what exactly is that? Is it just a tow rope, or is it something more?

Thanks,

AL

A "come-along" is a device like if you have wratchet activated tie downs... you hook it onto something.. and get to "wratcheting" (I am NOT having a good time describing this)... it is cable operated unlike a tie down, and is very strong. You see them all the time with people hauling cars/trucks on trailers.. HELP!!!!!!! maybe I'll just go take a pic of one of ours and post it....

This is a come along, also called a hand puller. Its a spool with a ratchet and release mechanism, integral lever, 2 hooks and cables. This one is 4 ton rated for $25... Not sure I'd trust it; I payed double for mine (its a 1 or 2 ton, cant remember)...

B

Think of it as a poor man's winch... :P (but more versatile)

post-1-1121034601.jpg

Edited by Precise1