Off-road Kit

Ale

Think of it as a poor man's winch...  :P (but more versatile)

I agree, they can be used for many things...

• Vehicle Recover
  • In place of a car dolly's wimpy strap winch
  • Engine hoist in a pinch - actually it was just used to reposition an engine properly on the mounts.. but still
  • Even used it to remove 1800pr (and smaller count as well) com cable from a conduit

I have seen those "4ton" cheapy units at Harbor Freight before.. mine is aging and I have been considering replacing it. But I am almost afraid to pick up one of them.. last thing I need is to have it fail when I need it most.

Probably will just spend the little more on one like my current.

Anyone have or even have on of the HF models... if so, how are they?

my list looks pretty sedate to most.

usual items:

shovel

snatch strap

equaliser strap

4 shackels

CB radio

mobile phone

usually go with my best mate and between us we have got a bit more gear together inlcuding:

tirfor hand winch

snatch blocks

high lift jack

drag chain

carry a few mechanical spares specific to each truck. for me that is going to mean carrying more tie rods whilst my mate seems to have a problem keeping his power steering hoses connected, and of course we have the tools we need to make some road side repairs if need be.

we always carry plenty of drinking quality water incase it is needed for the trucks or ourselves.

thats about it really, a good friend you can rely on and who will help you out seems to be the best off-road gear you can take in my opinion!

Hi-Lift

Collapsable military trench shovel

Change of clothes

basic tools

bailing wire

4 Fire Extinguishers (2-5lb and 210lb...this is SoCal, so gotta watch the brush fires)

Glock 25 with 3 clips

4-4" straps

4 shackles

No CB yet

Work Nextel

Cell phone

good walking shoes

Sunscreen (No wool blanket or tire chains needed here)

I carry this as well: it is called a Pulaski and is a forest fire fighting hand tool. Excellent for grubing out rocks, mud, sticks, ect.

Entire unit:

Pulaski.jpg

Head (cuts with both sides):

PulaskiHead.jpg

...how much do they run?  Do you know if you can get one with a fiberglass handle?

$14.52 CDN. I imagine you should be able to get them anywhere that forest fire fighting tools are sold. Should be easy to find in Washington State and Oregon. I got mine from Century Vallen. When working in the woods in BC, it is one of the required tools we have to carry so I have used them a lot.

Try here for another source (price is quite a bit more but appears to have a fiberglass handle). Click on pulaski axe or scroll down.