[emoji31][emoji30] Noooooooo!

onespiritbrain

8e357ca36b266f1e92c6ade457378833.jpg

372af3cdf1b609ed655155e9f473ab16.jpg

He was in front of me and traffic stopped suddenly and I got too close to his car which made him angry. Then he swerved out of the lane and hit his brakes until he was beside me, then he sped up and tried to swerve back into my lane and I couldn't stop quick enough so he hit me... then he told the cop that he was just trying to merge and I sped up on purpose and hit him...

The cops ruled it no fault on both parties... so I'll have to fix mine myself... I am very sad.

70adfe7fa086f74ad20e3d8b6fd615f1.jpg

fea43ad56943888ea643370c44b89ad0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

If it's no fault just put it through insurance and get it repaired. Doesn't look too bad.

Looks like he needs all the power that 750 has to haul his fat ass around.

Edited by adamzan
  • Like 3

Yeah, sucks, but doesn't look too bad. Pass through insurance, take the money, replace the fender yourself, get it painted, spend the rest on a steel bumper that'll do more than scuff some turd's bumper.

Then hunt him down and winch his parked car into a street.

• Like 4

From what Ive gathered, Georgia is not a "no-fault" state so I am left to try to prove to his insurance company that he was at fault. I do not have full coverage so I cannot file it on my own insurance.

If it's no fault just put it through insurance and get it repaired. Doesn't look too bad.

Looks like he needs all the power that 750 has to haul his fat ass around.

:lol:

As others have said, take advantage of whatever you can for insurance, and take the opportunity to turn that winch mount into a full bumper! If I got into a fender bender like that I know it would just be some spray paint and nobody would every know. At least his plan didn't work out, it would really suck if you got shafted with the blame.

• Like 1

I had an accident which damaged the same area last winter (which led to my bumper) (although this was my fault and it was a tree, not a BMW), and I found that unless your either very lucky or have a lot of patience, things won't line up quite the way they used to. I didn't feel like paying enough to make it perfect so you can tell my fender wasn't always the right color (was tan from a junkyard QX4 then had professionally painted; didn't have old paint stripped) and the trim under the headlight is a little off, but saving money on the repair means a cooler bumper. :)

• Like 1

I'll keep an eye out for that license plate next time I'm in GA. I'd love to rearrange the bodywork on that BMW POS. Maybe cut the CVs. And wheel spokes. And inject some water in the gas tank. Ugh if someone ever hit my R50 and tried to blame it on me I'd be spending the night in jail.

• Like 1

The simplest way is use an awl...in the sidewall...ALL the sidewalls. Tire places WON'T fix ANYTHING to do w/sidewalls. Haha, the feeling one experiences is MOST gratifying!

SIDE NOTE: It is my firm belief, that when you a new BMW, it comes with a special course that explains HOW to drive ur new Bimmer like a "Complete #@%¥in' a $ $ h 0 l e". Well, it seems like it up here, anywho.

Edited by Bunchie
  • Like 1

Geico called me yesterday to let me know they have decided that the evidence shows I am NOT liable! Yay! Justice prevails!

That guy also has Geico so an automatic claim was generated against him and I will most likely win the repairs to my vehicle. Yay!

This is a lesson for everyone; take pictures at the scene of the accident and take thorough notes on exactly what happened.

These are the pictures that successfully defended my claim:

a59c29f54b21487d39572a1ce2efcf7a.jpg049562bcfbdc82cd7a704610c10c68b9.jpg49e61d9328971c5b2b98d854a364008d.jpg614eabcb6530b361a775b466cce125ca.jpg3fef3aaae2cadc8641da52579a46e94d.jpg

Edited by onespiritbrain
  • Like 3

It makes me happy to see that it looks as if you'll be coming out on top of this one. A very similar thing happened to me on my first day of college last year. I slowed down for traffic and a bmw (funny it's always a bmw) flew past me and sideswiped me as I was changing lanes. Since I was young and the driver of the bmw was older than me the cop never gave me a chance to tell my side of the story, or even get out of my car to take photos or look at the damage to my vehicle, and the incident report came out that we were moving the same speed and I turned right into the side of his car, which was not the case. ): After many hours and many phone calls with both insurance companies, they ended up sticking with the police report despite my efforts, and I was help responsible for $6300 worth of damage to the guys fancy bimmer.

• Like 1

Well Geico called me today to tell me that, just like they decided I wasn't liable, they have also decided the BMW guy is not liable...

This guys adjuster knows he caused the wreck and was very apologetic about their decision. He also told me that they have a literal "round table" that, if I call my adjuster again and am adamant about my position, they will put all the evidence on for both stories and he, my adjuster, and the supervisor will decide one of us to be liable.

The honest truth about me is that I have acted like WAAAAAY more of a crazed roadrager on at least 3 or 4 other occasions that did not end in a crash. I wasn't on his level at all and more than anything his roadrage surprised me but it could have been different as I am capable of acting ridiculous on the road..

So I don't really want to peruse him. I want this experience to stick with me as a permanent reminder that acting crazy on the road can't happen anymore.. acting crazy on the road can end in damaged vehicles, or worse..

And so I will be making these body repairs myself. Time to scout the local pull a parts!

• Like 2

Nice that you learned, many people wouldn't.

Getting a ticket 15 years ago for reckless driving, which is a felony, cured me. Luckily, I pled it down to careless driving, which is a misdemeanor. Learned the lesson though.

Good luck with the body work.

• Like 1

Like TownDawgR50 said, DashCams can be usefull. I found a highly rated one for only $80.

There are worse stories to tell. A handful of years ago I was the target of an insurance scam. The guy simply slammed on his brakes in the middle of a road. I was driving my 1993 Maxima SE and the antilocks allowed me to steer to the side with only a palm sized scuff below the midline of the right side of his Jetta bumper. I told State Farm the whole thing was suspicous and convinced them to take photos before I had the car repaired as the minor damage to my Maxima should have shown it was no big deal. (I was too stupid to take pictures of his car at the time). A month before the statuate of limitations he filed a suit against me and against another driver whom he had an accident with a year later. They started at about $900,000 in damages. It took almost 2 years with lawyers, depositions and anxiety before it was settled. They pushed the trial date back twice and he ultimately settled with my insurance for $50K and the other car from the other accient for $25K. There were many times I sat there and couldn't believe it was happening. As I sat in a deposition I realized that everyone involved in me didn't really care that this kind of BS happened and that they either made a living from it or passed the cost on to the customer. When my deposition shot holes in his story, they just came back & changed the location of the accident by several hundred feet. I couldn't believe it but my lawyer said it wasn't even worth fighting as there was not way to prove it. I was told that photos of damages are often not allowed in court but I do think that the photos of the site of the accident would have helped in this instance.

Since then, I have witnessed an accident where a guy just turn left into a car ahead of me and even ended up rolling his truck. I offered my name to the victim and police as a witness. Later the guy who hit her tried to completely change his story. I offered photos of where everything was from sittng in my driver's seat. The victim later called to thank me as the photos clearly disproved his modified story and his insurance company accepted liability.

A long story short, I figured an $80 dash cam was a good prophylactic investment!

As for your bumper. I've been waiting a year and a half after a fender bender (I took plenty of pictures at this one) to find a good offroad bumper for my R50. I may have a lead on a guy in Vancouver BC who would like to use my rig as a model to generate a new bumper for our truck OR another NPORA member is considering making one as well.

Wow. That sounds absolutely horrible.. I still feel anxious when I think about that guy pursuing me.. I can not imagine how terrible that must have been for you.

Thank you for sharing.

I am interested in an off-road bumper also.

Sorry to hear about your frustrations. Great job with the pictures and documentation. Just an observation on why the insurance company ruled the way they did from the perspective of a professional driver...

It isn't enough to simply not hit stuff. All drivers have an obligation to actively avoid accidents. That said, they likely looked at your side of the equation and concluded that had you backed out of it when he started driving irratically the accident likely wouldn't have happened. In other words, they made the determination that you did not do everything possible to avoid the accident. I'm not saying you were driving like a jerk, just that you may not have been driving to actively avoid an incident.

I can tell you that if you had been driving a commercial vehicle and gave me the same report I would find the accident to be preventable, which is to say that you as a driver could have taken action to prevent it.

I don't mention this to be a jerk or anything like that but rather to give a little insight into what the insurance companies look at.

Sorry to hear about your frustrations. Great job with the pictures and documentation. Just an observation on why the insurance company ruled the way they did from the perspective of a professional driver...

It isn't enough to simply not hit stuff. All drivers have an obligation to actively avoid accidents. That said, they likely looked at your side of the equation and concluded that had you backed out of it when he started driving irratically the accident likely wouldn't have happened. In other words, they made the determination that you did not do everything possible to avoid the accident. I'm not saying you were driving like a jerk, just that you may not have been driving to actively avoid an incident.

I can tell you that if you had been driving a commercial vehicle and gave me the same report I would find the accident to be preventable, which is to say that you as a driver could have taken action to prevent it.

I don't mention this to be a jerk or anything like that but rather to give a little insight into what the insurance companies look at.

Yeah maybe I need to practice my defensive driving. Although I tried everything I knew to do to avoid him crashing into me. Mind that this all happened inside 50 yards in congested traffic so backing out of it would have consisted of stopping in the middle of the road; there was no getting away from him.

He did however try to make peace with me as soon as we pulled over to the side.. with a sandwich or maybe a biscuit or something that he tried to hand me but I angrily rejected his offer. Had I sucked it up and forgave him immediately he probably would have told the truth.

• 2 weeks later...

similar things happen around here all the time. Only the jerk offs will get in the "right turn Lane" skip about a block of traffic and then try to cut in. I record my drives every single day with a free app called AutoGuard, got a universal phone mount have it on my windshield just under my rear view. Even if someone wants to merge you are not obligated to make room for them. If there is no room for them to get in, they should wait, not ram into your care. so the "NO FAULT" is BS. KY is a no fault state too. Basically its a get out of tedious paper work law for the officer, he figures insurance will sort it out. in the end a guy just trying to make it through a light gets shafted because some jack ass wanted to cut him off. soooo VIDEO DONT LIE.

Every accident i have ever been in, even if the person was like ohhh totally my fault before the cops got there, after the cops get there their story changes and they lie. So i never go anywhere without my app on. no more BS no more court, no more "no witness" . Now there is always a witness. ;P

Like many other folks have said.

Junk yard fender and light cover, after market bumper, fabricated or bought and bam better than ever. I am very sorry this happened to you, believe me when i say i have been there i hate it for you. People need to learn driving like D**** Heads is bad for your teeth. They would have learned during my last "accident" but they wouldn't get out of the car.

Driving is a privilege that only 8 percent of the entire world enjoys. People need to stop acting like you owe them something and should bow down to their wishes. Merge if there is no room stop. dont pass in the turning lane. Dont brake in the drive lane then switch to the turning lane. "STUPID" drives me nuts. Put your phone down and drive. that about sums it up lol.

AGAIN sorry. it sucks man.

Pat

• Like 2