Suggestions for a new paint scheme....

Howdy, as some of you know I have been working of my Pathfinder for the last two years and I am thinking about what to do for the paint scheme when I finish the body work ( in the next 18 months or so ). It started out in Rio / Rapist Red and was repainted a GM shade of red (i'ts current color). Since I've replaced the hood and both front outer fenders with new ones that have no paint and there are currently rusty bits elsewhere I thought I might have it repainted after bodywork.

SO: I'm looking for ideas from the core group of Pathy owners about paint schemes that they like! Share ideas and throw stuff out there!

I am going to paint it myself (first full vehicle) but I'm not sure I want a 1 or 2 color scheme.... I had the idea of 3, 4 or 5 (Martini racing style) different stripes but I can't really figure out whether that would look okay or not. So I'm looking for some ideas and thought I would ask the collective brain here for ideas!

I can't do the safari zebra stripes.... there is already a YJ painted that way around here!!

If you want to go with a solid color my first choice would be silver. Nissan had the '89 2 door in a really nice frost silver. Second choice would be charcoal and third option would be the green I have...lol.

The other options would be to go 2 tone. Black top and silver bottom or Red and Silver.

The Desert Runner idea is cool. I've seen it done but not sure how your wife would like driving in it, or maybe that's the idea...lol.

Check out all the new plastidip colors...I'm sure there is something that you will like and give you a unique look.

The Desert Runner look is nice... not likely to get me shot in certain parts of _this_ city unlike a few other paint jobs I've seen today. I would have to rename it the Shuttle Runner / Snowboard Runner though.... no deserts around here!

I had thought of re-doing it in red, and then thought red and charcoal on the bottom but neither really grabbed my interest. I would like to do something different and attractive without being offensive or garish....a fine line to walk!

I've always been a fan of the silver + black two-tone - there aren't many of those around, so that would set yours apart.

Just please promise us you won't do anything like this: :lmao:

BDAFCC1C-53C9-4DFB-8DB2-A835072AB859_1.j

• Like 1

One nice thing about white or black, touchups are easy. I bought a black paint pen to touch up my '93 where the PO slammed the door on the seatbelt a bazillion times and it looks fairly good IMO.

I've entertained the occasional thought of a two-tone, white above the body line and maybe a light blue below.

I do like the zebra print. A family friend had a VW bus like that when I was a kid. One day he went to jack it up to change a tire or something and the jack punched right through the floor.

That 90's bowling alley paintjob is something else, though.

Edited by Slartibartfast

I'm going to paint mine this summer. OD green, with a gloss or semi-gloss clear. I have owned many vehicles that were painted olive-drab, and they look nice when wet. Also goes well with a big black arb bumper and rockrails.

AstroTurf... hmmm.. I have seen that done. Not sure about how easy it will be to wax each strand though.... ( aerodynamics are important after all )

I have leanings towards something like this, matte black with red:

2c4eefbb2373fd8df5d7aa0cdf2620d2.jpg

Or easier repaint, red body with matte black stripe?

Edited by SpecialWarr

Camo!

+1.

Thinking about doing this myself. I've seen fairly decent results with just rattle can jobs but some of the Realtree wraps are just outstanding, esp Winter camo !

I had a matter black Stumpjumper back some years ago that I got very dirty... and never got it clean again. I just assumed that it was the grey clay that is around here, not the paint itself!

Bushnut, is your current machine matte black?

JackStraw1: I do like the camo as an idea but my wife will have me shot for painting it that color.

I also Pitched the zebra stripes, straight black, straight white and the Desert Runner scheme... none seemed to garner anything other than, scoffs, derision and "the look"...... I think I'll pitch the matte black stripe on red body and see what that gets for a reaction on Monday!

• 5 months later...

Well, It looks like the wife and I agree that a kinda low-gloss black with a 20" red (metal-flake?) stripe from front to back is probably going to be the paint job after the body is welded up and tweaked at the end of next spring. Thanks for the input everyone!