newer Cars that will one day be "Classics"?

bushnut

I had a good conversation the other day with a buddy....what newer car would you pick to become a Classic in 25+ years time? I'd love to here your thoughts. these days everything looks the same to me. but I guess thats the price you pay for wind tunnel design.

so time line criteria......vehicles built 2010 and newer...anything goes...brand or model pictures if possible. If you'd like to defend you pick please give a reason why.

my picks are R51as well as the Xterra and the Toyota 4runner, (maybe FJ) as the last of the true off road capable utility (not luxury) SUVs.

Jeeze that's a toughy...the first car I sold was a '72 Duster for $25 bucks. I see them going for $100,000 restored now. I know nothing about new stuff (after 2010) but I'd guess the same as 25-40 years ago...Camaros, Vettes, Chargers, Challengers etc. I hear some people even like Mustangs? Then there is the imports to consider.

Every car will have a little following with a community of people who covet them. As for collector car classic value (just considering something 'classic' don't count as here in PA 'legally' as long as it's 15 years old you can put a classic plate on it, a 98 Ford Contour is not the first thing that comes to mind when you say "classic"). The standard ones as said, retro-muscle and high tag stuff. Things like Raptors and set up SS package Chevys (not the ones that are a couple badges and a set of wheels). The current Wranglers will be popular with those who can't afford what's out then. I personally think the PTLoser is going to make a hipster comeback, it was popular off the bat, ended up basically unchanged it's whole lifespan, got overplayed to the point everyone basically hated it, I think EVERY one was badged a 'Special Edition', it was just a Neon driveline. Hipsters love crap people with normal functioning brains are tired of, listen to that garbage monotone put the rope around your neck crap they call music they put in every commercial now (I'm looking at you apple)!

I am voting for the Nissan GT-R too. The most technologically advanced vehicle for sale for use on the public roads. It is built in a hermetically sealed room by hand for heaven's sake and is supercar fast wit the looks of a coupe.....

It's a shame that now a days you can not order a new car the way you want like in the old days. The thing that makes the old muscle cars especially valuable is how some had all the options where others may have options deleted, there fore making the car one of a few made that particular way.

I remember going with my parents to order their new 78 thunderbird and how my dad picked out the options he wanted than you would wait like 6-8 weeks for the car to be built and delivered to the dealer.

Now you get what the dealer has or can find from another dealer and you get a vehicle that is the same as 30K ( or a lot more) others.

Not very valuable when 30K cars are made the same.

Today's limited number production vehicles will be tomorrows collectibles

You can still pick what you want, it's been a few years but when my cousin bought his dually, e wanted specific stuff. It helped the service writer there wanted his trade in but he gave 0 compromise and had to wait to get it. All about shopping for a dealer, not just the car

i think the scion frs and subaru brz will be classics in 20 yrs. its the first affordable rwd sports car in a while and people are probably going to want to get their hands on it later too

I think for smart, innovative and stylish cars that are actually competing with Japanese automakers, the Ford Focus and Fusion (1st gen both) will be classics, and I also third the GT-R as well. Also the Mazda Miata even though it's built on a 25 year old platform, it was a well designed platform from the ground up, specifically for that car with a well balanced FR design in planning, and is still being built today. That chassis wasn't used on any other vehicle, none of the Volkswagens / Audi's can say that, nor can even the mighty 3000 GT from years back which was built on a Diamante platform.

I almost forgot about the two last generations of Corvette. My favorite Vette ever, of all time, with the most beautiful and elegant lines, the Z06..I love love love this car, and the new Stingray. Infact, here lately there's been a very aggressive resurgence of fantastic muscle cars from The Big 3 at a time geo-politically that couldn't be any more diametrically opposed to loud, brash gas guzzling AMERICAN muscle cars. The Chargers, Challengers, Mustangs and Camaros of this current generation are beautiful, extremely powerful and smart with the best fuel economies ever achieved from this class. The Charger has finally kicked the Interceptor Crown Vic off the Police pursuit pedestal. Not to mention the Ford Edge as well.

When I started writing this I didn't know it was going to become a soliloquy on how we've got stables and stables full of great cars being made that could all become classics or remain relevant in one way or another at a more strange time in our history with the price of oil and the Left's obsession with making us drive around in bubble cars that no one wants.

Apologies for breaking the rules...hard to keep the lid on this one..

Edited by gv280z

I think Nunya was on to something with the PT Cruizer. people will collet that but not the Neon.

As for hipsters I think they'll be into ironically driving mini vans but still not getting any joy out of them.

Super cars will always be collectable, what I what to see are the sleepers, the things that real people today can afford that will one day be a show room piece. kinda like the 510 or 1st gen Mini.

my votes are with the current civic, as well as the Fiat 500, also a couple of the Mitsubishi line (the names escape me) have a design that will look good for years to come.

On a side note...one that will not make it is the convertible Murano that I saw today...It looked like a hot tub on wheels.

Edited by bushnut

2002 Gen Sentra SE-R / Spec V

02sentra_se-r.jpg

Why did they move away from this? That really pisses me off...Nissan had a good thing going here and they had to mess with it. I would kill to have one of these in my stable.

Even the SE-R non Spec-V model, this was a great looking, well engineered sporty car...ns2002sentraser03.jpg

Edited by gv280z

Middle aged people with big money want the cars they wanted or had as kids.

Whether those cars hold up long enough to become collectible is another question entirely.

This is a big factor! And kids usually want big HP cars, so the obvious Murcialago etc aside, I think some of the classics of tomorrow will be based on some common factors such as limited production numbers, enthusiast following, performance records and above average good looks. Based on that my list includes:

1 - Nissan GT-R, without a doubt, a super car killer, it is already a legendary vehicle and therefore as a spot. Besides it comes from the Skyline cult heritage...

Elegant-Black-Nissan-GTR-Modified-HD.jpg

2 - Audi B7 RS 4 - V8, FSI, 420HP stock, Quattro, amazing sounding stock exhaust note, let alone modified, goose bump material, wide-body and the only car in its class to be and I quote Jeremy Clarkson, who LOOOOVES BMW M3's, "dare I say it, better than an M3"

Audi-RS4-B7-Movit-Ceramic-Braking-System

3 - Audi R8 - definitely on the expensive side of this selection, but I think this car speaks for itself in its design, quality, performance and appeal. V8 and V10 and V12 TDI le mans....

Audi-R8-Spyder-V10-2013-Fotos-01.jpg

4 - New generation chevy camaro SS - Reason being, it went back to the 60's/70's muscle car design with a modern twist and technology and it brings back to burly muscle car look. It's predecessor became a classic, so maybe this one will too...

Camaro-SS-D2FORGED-CV2-Wheels-031-980x65

I think some of the Audis will become classics. They are beautiful and excellantly engineered machines. Guess that means my family is keeping our 2010 A6 with a 6 speed manual. 5% of Audis inported to the US are a mnaual. Ours is a mnaual with light colored interior.

As for others. I think the 1999-2003 Ford Superduty will be a classic. I know its not post 2010 but these trucks still bring a premium, especially with a diesel and a manual tranny. They will last 25 years too.

Another will be the GTR of course. It has always been a classic and the R35 will be no different.

I think the modern muscle cars will be passed up. Their prime time was long ago.

I hope my old 86 D21 is considered a classic not only due to its age but what it is.

by unique design I might add the Cube... aka "the toaster"

think of cars that just by their outline you know what they are...like a Cadillac El dorado, or a chevy bell air, or an el camino.

though i'm afraid that by that reasoning we will be smothered in the "cute" factor.

Edited by bushnut

25 or 30 years ago we had a Renauld "le Car" that we called the "toaster". I would take it over a Cube. That Cube thing makes me embarassed to own a Nissan.

Let's see.. paper thin sheet metal which will rust to dust in no time, heavy use of biodegradable plastics, extensive use of increasingly complex electronic everything whose capacitors and other parts will be dead as well as the programmers - who programmed it all with proprietary code. Honestly, I'd be surprised if most of today's cars survive long enough to become classics.

• Like 2