Cracked Sideview mirrors

Inyourface1650

I don't think there are any WD21 heated mirrors.

At least in my search I never found any. I've seen people buy power mirrors for other cars and make them heated, that could be a route worth looking into if you drive enough.

I was gonna try it on my Pathy before I scrapped it.

Mine are heated. The heaters aren't much to write home about (you can't cook bacon on them) but they warm up a little when I hit the defroster.

I got a new one from a part-out on here for around $20 IIRC, and took the old one apart just to see what it was made of. They're not really built to be serviced. Most of it came apart alright, except for one big locking clip sort of deal that wouldn't let go. I found the heating pad inside, silicone-glued to the back of the glass. I don't think removing the old mirror assembly and putting the new (old) one on took more than an hour.

I've never heard of the mirrors cracking in the cold. Maybe they had ice behind them?

Good time to do it! ;)

It was cold last week... Not the coldest I or the pathy have been in. But cold. And BOTH of my side view mirrors cracked.

Do I just replace the glass or replace the whole units? Anyone done it before? Mine are SE Power, I'd love heated ones.

MIke

Yes, someone has but I can't recall who. Maybe Leo94. :D

At least in my search I never found any. I've seen people buy power mirrors for other cars and make them heated, that could be a route worth looking into if you drive enough.

Quite a few heated mirrors out there, both of my 1995 XEs had them. Quite handy!

Funny story Is I had no idea until one frosty morning when I turned on the rear defroster while it warmed up and saw the mirrors steaming. Surprised the hell out of me when they were warm to the touch! :lol:

B

• Like 1

I love love love my heated mirrors. The heater vents in the dash just don't throw enough heat at the window to defrost the mirrors like most cars and mine definitely get hot to touch. I always cringe when I go wheelin and something gets close to the mirror cause they're hard to find in the junkyard, mostly because the late model WD's aren't there as often.

The only indication that a side mirror is heated is by looking at the wiring for the mirror, it will have an extra plug.

I've never heard of the mirrors cracking in the cold. Maybe they had ice behind them?

Me Neither. Both were cracked one morning last week. One vertically, one Horiztonally. At least its getting warm enough to work on the truck!

93, 94, 95 models had a heated/power mirror option.

Sounds like a number of you have done this swap - Is the wiring in the doors the same? or would my non heated SE be missing a harness.

Mike

There are three ways you can go about doing this:

1.Replace the whole housing (Easy)
2.Replace the mirror glass the easy way (Break off the remaining glass and purchase a new mirror glass from ebay or your local parts store and just stick it on)
3.Replace the mirror glass the hard way (Take apart the whole housing like I did and will most likely be needed to change a heated mirror glass if you want to keep the heating function).

If I can find the pictures ill see if I can do a write up based on memory or change my mirror glass which needs to be change and do a write up based on that.

If 86.5 - 92 trucks didn't have them, they wouldn't be wired, right?

That would be a reasonable assumption, although if that option was available in other countries it still might be wired for them. For that year range, I'd pull the door pannel and check first, but I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to wire them in regardless.

B

Nissan seemed to wire vehicles for every option back then, making upgrades easy. I'm pretty sure the wiring will be plug and play.

I didn't do the swap, both of mine were purchased with them.

B

Yeah, 93-95 should be prewired already.

I've never even heard of that!

I was disappointed when I got my 2001 Subaru and it didn't have heated mirrors like my 1995 Pathfinder, I looked in the Soob's owners manual and no mention along with turning the rear defroster did not heat up the glass, but when I actually needed the mirrors defogged, just having the heater control switch to defrost threw heat at the interior beauty piece that covered the mounting bolts and you could watch the glass defrost from the inside out.

that is a good point, they shouldnt be since it wasnt an option yet.

I'm probably going to the junkyard tomorrow so I'll take a peak at an early truck if there is one and see.

Edited by silverton

My fully loaded '88 isn't wired for them, found that out when I broke my driver's side one. I have a heated mirror from a '93 on it now. But, its worked for heated seats and has an empty fuse slot for it...

My fully loaded '88 isn't wired for them, found that out when I broke my driver's side one. I have a heated mirror from a '93 on it now. But, its worked for heated seats and has an empty fuse slot for it...

Wait. Heated seats? Tell me more. I'm an AZ dude, in an AZ pathy, in Colorado. I'll take every electrical warming device I can get in this thing.

Edited by Inyourface1650