Cracked Sideview mirrors

Inyourface1650

I have heated mirrors on WhiteOwl, he ain't pre wired for them and I haven't really cared enough TO wire them in. Probaly should do that... Meh, effort I can place on something pointless

I understand, but didn't take quite that long to figure out; maybe only 1.5 years... :lol:

Living in SoCal gives you a pass card though, when is the last time you have seen frost?

B

We're kind of sheltered up close to the hills, it;s been about 3 years since we;ve had frost here.

I think the lowest temp so far this year was about 35 F

so went junking. Plenty of Heated Chrome mirrors about. I don't do chrome. My shiny MB alloy wheels are plenty of bling. So I ended up with a heated driver side mirror and a non heated passenger(black...er faded plastic that was formerly black)...

I'm guessing the driver one wont work until I replace the passenger (circuit wont be complete?) but we'll see!

I'll install tomorrow.

Also found some what i think were heated leather seats but they were absolutely shredded. I saw some unusual wires underneath them though. was there a heated seat switch or did those come on with defrost as well? the dash and console were already yanked.

Edited by Inyourface1650

so went junking. Plenty of Heated Chrome mirrors about. I don't do chrome. My shiny MB alloy wheels are plenty of bling. So I ended up with a heated driver side mirror and a non heated passenger(black...er faded plastic that was formerly black)...

I'm guessing the driver one wont work until I replace the passenger (circuit wont be complete?) but we'll see!

I'll install tomorrow.

Also found some what i think were heated leather seats but they were absolutely shredded. I saw some unusual wires underneath them though. was there a heated seat switch or did those come on with defrost as well? the dash and console were already yanked.

One heated mirror will work without the other.

And switches were in the center console near the ebrake. One for each seat, if equipped. You can take the heating element out of the leather seats and install them in your cloth seats. That's what I plan to do if I ever find a set and feel motivated enough to snag the set up.

So. I swapped mirrors today and completely failed to take pictures. Took me under an hour. However my existing mirrors were heated.

My thoughts on the cracking - the evening I came back I had the defrost on and it was -XXF out, turned the truck off, they got cold too fast and cracked the glass.

• Like 1

So. I swapped mirrors today and completely failed to take pictures. Took me under an hour. However my existing mirrors were heated.

My thoughts on the cracking - the evening I came back I had the defrost on and it was -XXF out, turned the truck off, they got cold too fast and cracked the glass.

That sounds very possible.

On a side note I checked all the big auto parts houses, all newly made heated mirrors look to be chrome.