Look what I found in my transmission

/>

Make sure to get a Voodoo doll and talk to a witch doctor. We all know automatics are Black Magic.

Hahah amen! I would never dare to try this, but I wish you the best of luck!

Spoke with the witch doctor today, and they actually ship a voodoo doll with the shift kit which showed up today. I will keep you guys updated as I make progress. hoping to have the transmission rebuilt and ready to install over the weekend. still need to order the rear main seal, transfer case in and out seals, spin on filter kit, oil filter relocation kit, and some Amsoil ATF.

I got the valve body almost completed today, I just need to torque all of the bolts. I broke a drill bit off in the upper valve body while drilling one of the holes for the shift kit but it was a minor set back. All of the valves were in good shape and every thing went fairly smooth. The instructions that come with the shift kit are very clear and easy to follow and the diagrams for bolt holes, tube brackets, oil passageways etc. was much better than that provided in the FSM. Here is some photos of the chaos.

It begins

DSCN1783_zps82cc8181.jpg

Upper valve body completely disassembled ready to drill the required hole for the shift kit, clean lube and reassemble.

DSCN1790_zpsb9841968.jpg

Ready to locate and enlarge some holes in the separator plate for the kit.

DSCN1791_zpsb4c2e5ed.jpg

• 3 months later...

So after 4 months or so I finally have it rebuilt and installed and I must have done something right because it actually works. The shift kit was definitely a good idea, the shifts are more solid and feel consistent through the gears.

I highly recommend to NOT use Amsoil. Two of my buddies, along with myself are running it, and when cold, the transmission kicks you in the back of the head on up shifts, and once warmed up, the shifts are softer than uhm... well, something really really really soft.

Only reason I haven't switched back to a conventional transmission fluid is because the damn jug of Amsoil cost me $100!

Also, next time you undertake something like this, look in to swapping out the factory Pathfinder automatic for an 01-04 Xterra automatic. They are much stronger and less prone to failure.

Edited by silverton

I did look into the xterra swap but could not find one for a reasonable price except at a pull and pay and I would have overhauled it anyways hate to take a risk on a junk yard trans. I did not go with amsoil as I could not afford it at this time but I am going to on the next service il let you know if I have any adverse reaction. before my trans took a crap some shifts were hard, and some were mushy but after the overhaul and shift kit it is all very consistent. And while it was apart I noticed that the reverse clutch pack is a real weak point in this transmission, only 2 friction disks.

I did look into the xterra swap but could not find one for a reasonable price except at a pull and pay and I would have overhauled it anyways hate to take a risk on a junk yard trans. I did not go with amsoil as I could not afford it at this time but I am going to on the next service il let you know if I have any adverse reaction. before my trans took a crap some shifts were hard, and some were mushy but after the overhaul and shift kit it is all very consistent. And while it was apart I noticed that the reverse clutch pack is a real weak point in this transmission, only 2 friction disks.

Take it from me and two others. Don't run amsoil.

And reverse is the primary fail point of the RE in the WD21.