Look what I found in my transmission

So after hundreds of dollars in parts and many hours in labor overhauling the Inferior Front Suspension, She was driving great and handling well. Drove it for about 3 weeks and then all of the sudden it did not want to shift out of first gear and there was some noises that transmissions should not make. And here is what I have found

DSCN1778_zps0c66b3c2.jpg

The smaller piece was in the pan, but not after it bounced around a bit and damaged some other components. It broke off of the brake band.

DSCN1777_zps349a2482.jpg

Well lets just hope some of the automatic transmissions class I took a few years back stuck, If I can find the parts I need for a resonable price im going to try my hand at a rebuild. So if anyone has a toasted re4ro1a in their garage shoot me a pm.

I wish you had a manual. i have one sitting in my dads house that needs a rebuild. that my weakness on cars is trans. Its like magic to me how they work. i will be watching this to see how if you do rebuild it. i always have time to learn new things.

They are not to bad to work on, there are just a lot of parts that have to end up in the right spot. As long as I dont need any special tools for installing seals it should be alright.

Have you ever thought about converting it to manual? It seems like you are keen on rebuilding the auto but this might be a good time to swap! Anyways that's just my input I ended up busting 2 autos in my 95 path before I did the swap to standard.

Thanks for the offer but the factory service manual pinned in the garage is more than sufficient. It covers everything in depth

Ok, just wanted to offer. Good luck and let us know if there is something you need...

B

The manual swap has crossed my mind, right now it is just going to depend on what parts for this will cost or if I find a donor vehicle. I need the reverse clutch assembly housing, and front sun gear to get this one back on the road. If i find a wrecked manual trans donor vehicle I would hop on that as well. None of the trans shops or scrapyards I have gotten in touch with have had anything I need yet but I still have quite a few calls to make.

I just rebuilt my trans about 2k ago, search my posts if you want to see it. The rebuild kit is cheap but as I'm sure you've seen in the manual, other critical parts aren't so cheap. I have never priced the reverse housing or the sun gears but I'll bet that the best route would be a donor trans from junkyard. Obviously a complete takedown of your trans is in order with a lot of emphasis on the valve body's and debris. One of the biggest pains that you have seen (since you have your trans out already) is taking these massively heavy transmissions out of the truck!! Good luck and FWIW, you don't need a lot of special tools aside from clutch spring compressors (I used c-clamps and brute force), but if you follow the manual, it will tell you if high tolerance components need to be replaced as well as runout/end play checks needed.

I just found this place in TX called JP Transmission Recycling and all they do is tear down junk transmissions and sell good hard parts out of them, the people are very knowledgeable and helpful, they will even ship COD. I found the parts I need for 35 a piece plus shipping. So for under a bill I should have every thing I need minus an overhaul kit to get this back on the road, which is good because I really did not want to pull a trans at a junk yard. I am also thinking of installing a shift kit while I have this beast apart, any thoughts? Here is their website http://www.jptransmission.com

Yeah, a shift kit would be a good investment if you've got the funds. The stock pattern seems to be a hard 1st to 2nd with a soft 2 to 3 and a "normal" 3 to 4. On my particular trans, the soft 2 to 3 ended up cooking 3rd clutch. I have wanted to stiffen up the 2 to 3 shift since my rebuild but my motorcycle and job have taken precedence...

The FSM has a matrix that shows which clutch (and when the brake band) is locked in any given scenario, this answered a lot of questions for me. The later trannys were improved upon but there are shift kits/improvement kits that can bring our "old" gearboxes up to speed. I went with just a rebuild due to the low cost and hope to use it for a good while, I have an okay aux cooler as well as a temp gauge with alarm for when I'm pushing my trans.

JP just shipped my parts today $69 dollars out the door and they were not sure of which front sun gear I needed so he just sent them both for no extra charge. I have decided on going ahead with the shift kit, and if funds allow I will also install an inline spin on filter kit.

You can rig up a spin on filter kit for about $30 other than fabbing a mounting bracket so I would highly recommend it!

Jegs is the cheapest source IIRC...

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/29350-automatic-transmission-inline-filter-kits/?hl=%2Btranny+%2Bfilter

B

Precisely where I found the idea, :laugh::laugh:

I just found this place in TX called JP Transmission Recycling and all they do is tear down junk transmissions and sell good hard parts out of them, the people are very knowledgeable and helpful, they will even ship COD. I found the parts I need for 35 a piece plus shipping. So for under a bill I should have every thing I need minus an overhaul kit to get this back on the road, which is good because I really did not want to pull a trans at a junk yard. I am also thinking of installing a shift kit while I have this beast apart, any thoughts? Here is their website http://www.jptransmission.com

We have used them a few times in the past here at the shop and not had any issues.

• 4 weeks later...