Hey you Cali peeps ever been here?

SilverPath

Sorry, I guess I cut the rest of my message off.

That's Salton Sea, but there's lots of abandoned buildings like that all over the California desert.

Salton Sea (as you gathered) just has the distinction of being so large. I've never been,

but my friends have many times, they all say it's just as cool as the pics and video like you showed.

Man...I am the only one that thinks California isn't that horrible, even if I don't agree....

I wonder what politics has to do with visiting the attractions of a state? Cali has a lot going for it...

The whole SoCal desert, the dunes at the ocean, Lake Tahoe and the Sierras, the rugged north coast, redwoods, Death Valley etc. Come and visit, just bring NIB high ccapacity magazines to barter with... :D

B

• Like 2

I went out there with my parents a couple years ago. Weird place. It smelled awful, the sea itself was this weird iridescent brown, you could see the skeletons of boats sticking out of it, and the shore was literally covered with heaps of bleached bones. Lots of bird bones too, in fact I brought some home (still haven't figured out what to do with them.) I guess it's the answer to the question of 'what happens when you build a town around a drainage pond.' Pretty cool though, if you could get past the smell.

That presenter's a little overdramatic though. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

I wonder what politics has to do with visiting the attractions of a state? Cali has a lot going for it...

The whole SoCal desert, the dunes at the ocean, Lake Tahoe and the Sierras, the rugged north coast, redwoods, Death Valley etc. Come and visit, just bring NIB high ccapacity magazines to barter with... :D

B

Oh it has nothing to do with visiting, its just a reason why I don't want to live there!, Plus y'all have too many people there :lol:

And barter with magazines you can.

This is one of the best states as far as it has everything. Beach, mountains, desert, valleys. Too bad the loonies are running things.

Bombay Beach is the most famous area, but it's degrading fast. A lot of the stuff in these documentaries has gone now. last time I went there most of the "landmark" structures had gone (salt is VERY corrosive). This whole area is fascinating, we go to Anza Borrego a lot as you can see in our desert trip posts (Karmann, me & others), that's right by Salton Sea. There's also "Salvation Mountain", Joshua Tree, Ocotillo Wells off road area & tons of other cool places.

Oh it has nothing to do with visiting, its just a reason why I don't want to live there!, Plus y'all have too many people there :lol:

Ok, makes sense in context now. :D Yeah, there are a lot of people, but many of them nest like rats. If you stay away from those areas you can have some breathing room, if not be outright alone.

Not like I'm trying to convince anyone to move here. Like you said, it's already crowded, so stay in your own state!! :lol:

:itsallgood:

B

• Like 1

Damn!! You know that stunk!

I was at Bahia De Los Angeles down in Baja California on the sea of Cortez 1 week after a hurricane rolled through. It had washed entire schools of bait fish up past the high tide mark, so a week later it stunk to high heaven and the flies!! :ohno01:

There was no being lord of them what so ever...

B

Drove past there twice but never stopped. Aside from a couple drives E-W, I stuck to the coastal areas while I lived out there.

It is amazing how much open space there is in CA, like B said, the population there congests itself into 3 main areas. There are places out there you can walk for 5 days and never see a road or anything else made by man. So different here in the mid-west, no matter where you are here, pick a direction and you'll find a road in a few hours at most.

Back in the late 60s a group of us from the dealership used to go out there for a weekend of fishing but things have really changed since then. Now we just drive by and never stop

where else can you play in the desert, play in the snow in the mountains. and go to the beach all in the same day