Custom Paint Job On An Intake Cover

MY1PATH

I Took the dirty corroded peeling intake cover off of my Infiniti M30.

th_1Before.jpg

cleaned it up and sanded off the "V6 3000" because it may or may not be going on a 3300 in the future.

th_2cleaned.jpg

Painted it Red

th_3red.jpg

Painted the center Semi Gloss Black

th_4black.jpg

Polished the tops of the fins and letters, This is where it looked its best!

th_5polish.jpg

Clear coated over the whole thing to enhance shine protect the polished aluminum. The picture robs some detail but the solvent based Clear made slight impressions wherever there was a pit or micro pore in the polished casting. If I had to do it again I would use an epoxy based paint system to get better results over the polished aluminum casting.

th_6Afterclear.jpg

Edited by MY1PATH

Good job! :aok:

I'm planning to sand the 3.0 off my intake before I install it too. So where you putting this cover? I thought you were using a pathfinder intake.

James

Edited by JamesRich

Did you cook it to speed up the drying process?

No I cooked it after washing it to get all the water/ soap/ solvent out of the porous aluminum casting.

I WOULD NOT cook VHT without a ventilated heater (and actual dust controlled convection heating booth made for drying paint) because the Volatile out gas content is too high to be safe.(in other words if you heat this stuff in a household oven it will release toxic vapors that at are harmful to your health.)

I did however use the range hood as sufficient ventilation for room temperature cure because outside is too cold for paint to dry.

looks pretty good :aok:

i assume this fits the pathfinder intake

It does not, unless you have a car style manifold like the one found in Kingmans pathy, z31, m30, SOME Maximas , s12's etc...

Looks good, I did similiar on my Sentra valve cover:

before:

ff605f.jpg

after:

s42e08.jpg

grey wheel paint, with clear coat, polished the letters before paint than taped them off, than the clear, did the exhaust mainifold shield as well

used allen head bolts with the red anodized bolt caps, they have matching covers for the caps too but I did not put them on.