Crazy things the previous owner did...

ChatWithaNinja

PO used wrecking yard struts & shocks that were totally @!*%e & left an Indian "Bollywood movie music" cd jammed in the sound system. Also, the speakers had dried out so much the cone wasn't attached to the surround of the speaker at all. No wonder I had no bass!!!! Steering pipes leaked over steering rack rubber mounts & dissolved them so the rack was just floating free, sway bar/drag links were totally shot & used 3 235/70/15 tires with 1 245/75/15 tire. Not that big a deal I guess, but the standard tire is 265/70/15.

Edited by theexbrit

One of the rubber ones came out while cornering...knew exactly what it was...the metal ones were still on the springs when I tossed them...they sale these things at advance and autozone...its like their ricer wheel spacers....don't do it

Scary thing is those style metal ones are meant for the FRONT of a coil sprung car. Yea... That's a great piece of mind when knowing there in the front of something your driving

On my 95 there wasn't much done by the PO. But my 94 that I have now, the guy told me he had the manifold studs fixed at a shop. I looked and I can see bolts in there instead of studs, and some of them I don't see the grade stamped like you do with metric bolts but rather the three lines which indicate a grade 5 standard size bolt :headwall:

They also welded the rear bumper brackets to the frame because of the body lift, and poorly installed a 7 way trailer harness.

• 2 weeks later...

:rofl:

That is amazing!! I might have one to compete though...

If I can find the photos, I'll post them. In my old 1965 VW Bug Baja, the PO had attached the two front seats to the seat rails with hose clamps. Yes, the worm gear band clamp type... :doh:

B

• 2 weeks later...

Recently I was trying to replace lights in the instrument cluster panel. When I removed the panel then I found a half smoked cigarette behind steering wheel column.

Unccpathfinder...

Did you buy that from some fool in TN?!?!?

The PO or PO's that I got mine from had all kinds of weird wiring shinanigans going on.... There was a switch and green light bulb above the mirror where the map lights are, with wire leading to nowhere. Another set of switches under the dash that led to the battery with no fuse, and one end cut and dangling... What I assume to be 2 sets of jumper cables split and black taped together under the carpet to the back for an amplifier? And the best part... it had TRAILER BRAKES!!! WTF... There was not even a hitch on this truck when I bought it... but there was a brake box under the dash. The windshield had the family name "Gutierrez" in old english vinyl letters...

When I was finished stripping all of this out I had quite a pile of wire and other crap.

Edited by tmoore4512

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I mentioned that my Pathfinder had a few bullet holes in it when I introduced myself here- finally got around to taking some pictures. PO messed up the dash pretty bad as well. Every now and then I find another "fix". :scratchhead:

2z7rgyf.jpg

Or somebody tried to change out the starter motor, got pissed off, and let it know what he thought of it. I wonder what kind of damage the bullets did to the engine bay/etc? The gas tank door one in particular can't have been pretty.

No damage to the engine bay as far as I know. Everything is fine except what was damaged by a fire from my power steering pressure hose bursting...that's a story for a another thread though.

If anyone knows what the little black box in the last picture is that would be nice to know...also, where does it go?

Edited by bulletsforringo

I have a good one. They used tape to cover the holes in the body then bondo and paint. When I what removing the fender flares half the fender came off with it because it stuck. Most of it is fixed for now. The head unit was taped in the dash.

That little black box is not the data recorder from when you crash...it is however your ECU and is supposed to be under one of the seats. In my 94 it's under the driver, I don't know about the 91. I guess the position doesn't really matter, It could be in your glove box or the center console or screwed to the ceiling. At least that way you'd have to flood the entire vehicle to damage it! The previous owner must have had a really bad ongoing problem, so he relocated it to where he could observe the error code light in real time as he was experiencing whatever was plagueging the truck, and then he'd had quick access to reset it.

The ECU should be under the pass. seat not the drivers seat as you said, I have a 94 also and that is where it is. There are other components under the driver seat that include:

from the 1994 FSM:

xxahl.jpg

• Like 1