Plastic headlight restoration

ahardb0dy

So I was working on my step daughters Kia Spectra and had to wait to get some parts so I decided to see if I could do anything about the very crappy looking headlights, here are the before and after pics:

Pass. headlight before, the pic actually looks better than the headlight looked in person:

107qedl.jpg

drivers side after wet sanding & polish, I used the following grits, 220,400,600,800,1500 than Mothers plastic polish, alternating sanding directions after each grit:

wmlfg2.jpg

next day had to run up to auto parts store so I picked up some 2000 grit as I noticed I could still see the sanding lines from the 1500 grit

Pass side after sanding with 2000 grit before polish:

34yofih.jpg

Pass. side final result after 2000 grit and polish:

2lwr87m.jpg

Drivers side final result after 2000 grit and plastic polish:

11vku1s.jpg

looks better than new !!

Very nice. The difference is amazing with light output too. You should have done a before and after of the beam on the garage wall! I did my moms Hyundai Santa Fe recently, but didn't put anywhere near as much work as you did. Still came out looking much better though!

Guess I don't have the pictures anymore... oh well, I certainly do like glass headlights better, but they still end up getting pitted and rock chipped.

Paint was already ruined, I sanded some of the paint on top of the bumper to make it look the way it does, but I did take the paint off in the rounded areas below the headlights.

I tried using just the plastic polish on another car and it looks good right after but than it totally dries and looks exactly the same. Only way I see the plastic staying clear is with wet sanding.

No idea on the power steering fluid, was not what I was working on the car for. The engine was running crappy and wouldn't start, than got it to start and run but with MAF sensor plugged in engine would stall, I replaced fuel filter, cleaned throttle body, added a 20 oz. bottle of techron to the fuel, drove it to store to have codes checked, car stalled every time RPM's dropped to idle, stalled about 10 times on way to auto parts store. I had codes scanned and came up with 4 codes, MAF sensor, misfire cylinder 1, misfire cylinder 4, IAT sensor, When I got back home and did some research online found the plug gap should be about 0.30 and if gap is larger will trigger the misfire codes, pulled the plugs which all had a gap of 0.43, installed 4 new NGK V- groove plugs gapped at 0.30 and car ran a lot better, started faster only stalled a couple times on the way to store to have codes re-checked, came up with one code this time, MAF sensor.

Step daughters boy friend picked up a new MAF sensor and air filter and I installed them, disconnected battery to clear check engine light, engine runs a lot better now, idles no problem, does not stall anymore, no check engine light, did not have codes re-checked.

Good job, you obviously have more patience than I do. I do the lenses on the wife's Matrix every couple years, but just to functionality. I make optics for a living so it's not the most appealing chore... :shrug:

B

I figured it was the safe thing to do while waiting for parts, my grand daughter(5) rides in this car and my step daughter is expecting a second child in October.

• 11 months later...

drivers side after wet sanding & polish, I used the following grits, 220,400,600,800,1500 than Mothers plastic polish, alternating sanding directions after each grit:

Now that you have completely destroyed the protective UV layer...

A bottle of Carnu-B wax will make plastic lenses look brand new as well as it chemically eats oxidation. Also it won't destroy the lense, keep it in mine next time. And it smells good. :aok:

Many, if not all of todays plastic lens headlamps have a layer/coat of UV protectant on the outside to help prevent UV damage to the plastic. Ever seen how plastic can cloud/dull and become brittle when left in the sun for a loooooong time?

I have been looking into restoring my cars headlights (will likely happen when/if install I angel eyes) and have found that most people just sand if off and move on. I've seen a few people talk about shops that can re-coat them after restoration, but I don't know of any real examples of it having been done. But then, I have not looked that deeply into it yet.

Good job, you obviously have more patience than I do. I do the lenses on the wife's Matrix every couple years, but just to functionality. I make optics for a living so it's not the most appealing chore... :shrug:
B

Painters have the worst looking homes (my dad, all my childhood :lol: ) plumbers have constantly leaking pipes and B has the worst vision of all NPORA! :lmao:

Has anyone tried applying a clear vinyl film after sanding? That way it would get beat up instead of the plastic (which would hopefully be sealed from the elements, preventing most oxidation)

Never tried it but it sounds like it might work...

after i do a headlight restoration i just spray clear on it even after the polish there may be super fineite scrathes that are present in the lense the clear will fill that in and permanetly seal the headlights.

this has been working out on my buddies f250 i did a couple weeks ago.

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?52839-HOW-TO-Adding-a-UV-clear-coat-to-protect-your-Headlights!

I have been looking into restoring my cars headlights (will likely happen when/if install I angel eyes) and have found that most people just sand if off and move on. I've seen a few people talk about shops that can re-coat them after restoration, but I don't know of any real examples of it having been done. But then, I have not looked that deeply into it yet.

Painters have the worst looking homes (my dad, all my childhood :lol: ) plumbers have constantly leaking pipes and B has the worst vision of all NPORA! :lmao:

I coat the lenses with a UV protectant plastic spray like you would the dash, just make sure whatever you use is exterior rated. Not sure if it helps, but it doesn't hurt and looks good too.

You forgot 'mechanics drive clunkers...', and yeah, the old eye sight is slowly dimming. :shrug:

B

I used a RainX kit on my Frontier, it has 3 sanding grits, a polish compound, and a final clear/protective coating. It worked OK, but not great. It could be user error and I didn't sand enough, or polish enough, who knows. I tried toothpaste and another commercial lens polish on my old van in the past and both looked good for a day or 2, then crap again. I did my Frontier back in October, and it still looks good, so at least the RainX lasts well.

I did a set of Subaru headlights a while back with toothpaste. Looked good until I washed the toothpaste off. I suspect it was filling in the scratches and pits, so some kind of wax would probably help. It was still an improvement, though, those headlights were sketchy.

I used a RainX kit on my Frontier, it has 3 sanding grits, a polish compound, and a final clear/protective coating. It worked OK, but not great. It could be user error and I didn't sand enough, or polish enough, who knows. I tried toothpaste and another commercial lens polish on my old van in the past and both looked good for a day or 2, then crap again. I did my Frontier back in October, and it still looks good, so at least the RainX lasts well.

Yeah, I have the Rain-X kit too. It's okay .. I mean, I have to scrub the headlights two or three times a year but, it does work.

• 1 month later...

I have used the Sylvania headlamp restoration kit on a 99 Chrysler T&C after reading reviews of other kits. Nearly a year later, the headlamps still look great and no yellowing. It was easy to do, too.

The most common complaint I had read about most other kits is that the effect was somewhat temporary. Indeed, I used a cheap kit on another vehicle once and after a few months it was starting to look bad again.

Easy enough to find the Sylvania kit. Here's an Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00429NKWK

So I have been reading up on this and a lot of people like the 3M kit (w/ drill attachment) over others.

Quick rundown of what others have done...

-clean between steps with alcohol as required

-take your time and make sure that you get an even/consistent sanded surface with each grit.

*300grit if heavily pitted

500 grit - Comes with 3M kit

-no matter which you start with (300/500), make sure there is no shine left anywhere on the sanded surface.

1000 grit - Comes with 3M kit

3000 grit - Comes with 3M kit

Polishing Pad with Rubbing Compound - Comes with 3M kit

According to those who have done it, they should be very clear now, but not real shiny. And this is where the last step comes into play.

-clean with alcohol

Apply a coat of Mineral Spirits and Minwax Helmsman Clear Gloss Spar Urethane (50/50 mix ratio) applied with multi-folded blue hand towels (any auto parts store has them) in even full length passes across headlight until the entire surface is evenly coated.

This final step is said to restore the shine, add a layer scratch protection that also contains UV protectant.

Again, I have not done this... yet. But I have the materials (still need to pick up the 3M kit) to restore the headlights on my car. After seeing just how many have used this technique and the results posted around the web, this is the process I will be using.

I believe the Mothers plastic polish has a UV protectant in it. Also after years of driving and washing, how much of the original UV coating do you think is actually on these headlights? Obviously it doesn't last forever since the plastic turns yellow ??

My only issue with the lens polishes is that they require re-polishing to maintain the effects and UV properties. Compared to the urethane coating that would remain intact far longer.

I am sure it varies make to make and model to model, depending on the exact method and quality of the UV coating used. But I suspect that the properties of the UV resistance breaking down is more of a factor that the actual coating wearing off.

As an example, the following headlamp assembly is from a 2005 and it shows the UV coating cascading down as the owner sands it off.

DSC01492.jpg

I also suspect that with most modern assemblies the clouding of the lenses is more likely caused by scratches, chips and similar damage than by the UV coating wearing off.

• 5 months later...

While I was on vacation up in NY I did two cars headlights using the 3M manual kit, the one without the drill attachment. I'm sure the kit that uses a drill would have been faster but I did not have access to one. Here are the before and after pics of both cars headlights:

2000 something Hyundai Sonata:

before:

wrkvwz.jpg

After:

161nf9y.jpg

Chrysler Sebring:

before;

2ih9u1e.jpg

After:

x4mz45.jpg

before:

1zdriqg.jpg

after:

e9i44i.jpg

In these new pics I used my I-phone, the headlights are clearer than the pics look.