Towing with fullsize spare

So I have a 31" tire mounted on my rear mounted tire carrier. From the pin on the hitch to the outside of the tire is about 18 inches. I ordered a 13 inch ball mount but I'm still worried that my spare will hit the trailer jack. Have any of you had to deal with this problem? What was your fix? My trailer is brand new and I really don't want to have to relocate the jack on it. The jack on the trailer is only 8 inches from the center of the ball. If the ball mount I ordered works it's going to be an extra tight fit.

Wouldnt this be where a drop down hitch is necessary? ive never really towed, but it seems like it may help..

Sort of like this:

http://www.hitchcorner.com/ball_mounts.htm#drop_down

I think some you can have, for say an adjustable height with the ball..but i cant seem to find it..hope this helps!!

Remember I don't have any type of lift at all. A 2 inch drop will level my trailer. Anything lower would be way to low. Like I said I ordered a 13 inch ball mount. That was the longest one I could find. I hope it works cause outside of that it's looking like I'm going to have to relocate the trailer jack.

:wtf:

It probably wouldn't be amazingly difficult to relocate the tire up either... just build something that bolts onto the carrier studs, then install studs into that thing for the tire to bolt onto. But probably more hassle than you want.

I have a 31X10.5 spare on my 91, which has a regular hitch from CT and on my set up there is not enough (vertical) space between the bottom of the spare and the top of the ball to secure a coupling onto the ball without opening the tire carrier at some point. In most cases I just swing the carrier out of the way and connect and then close the carrier.

On my boat trailer,the bow roller/winch- angle forward on the tongue and prevent the spare from closing if I swing it all the way open to connect. Even this is a minor inconvenience, I just swing the carrier open a little instead of all the way, back up, and proceed as normal and close it up once connected.

Any other trailer (utility/yard/snowmobile) has let me swing the carrier open and connect as normal, as long as I remember to open the carrier 1/4-/1/3 of the way when I am backing up. Tongue jacks etc have never presented a problem.

There are a lot of different configurations available for hitches, but I have never found it enough of a problem to merit changing any hard ware, worse case scenario I guess you could take the spare off and toss it in the trailer.

Hope this helps!

I have a 31X10.5 spare on my 91, which has a regular hitch from CT and on my set up there is not enough (vertical) space between the bottom of the spare and the top of the ball to secure a coupling onto the ball without opening the tire carrier at some point. In most cases I just swing the carrier out of the way and connect and then close the carrier.

On my boat trailer,the bow roller/winch- angle forward on the tongue and prevent the spare from closing if I swing it all the way open to connect. Even this is a minor inconvenience, I just swing the carrier open a little instead of all the way, back up, and proceed as normal and close it up once connected.

Any other trailer (utility/yard/snowmobile) has let me swing the carrier open and connect as normal, as long as I remember to open the carrier 1/4-/1/3 of the way when I am backing up. Tongue jacks etc have never presented a problem.

There are a lot of different configurations available for hitches, but I have never found it enough of a problem to merit changing any hard ware, worse case scenario I guess you could take the spare off and toss it in the trailer.

Hope this helps!

I guess I'll just have to wait and see when I get my ball mount in the mail. I'll post pics and more info if it ends out being an issue where I have to modify something.

I towed my 20 foot trailer with a tongue jack right behind the bulldog hitch. The jack is close to the spare but it never hit. I'm not sure how long my ball mount is it's but it's not excessively long. You should be fine.

James

my ball mount is pretty long, I haven't measured, but it has two pin holes in it for two different length settings. the one that puts the ball the farthest out and a 1970s travel trailer with a tongue jack, I had to remove my spare tire, and it's only a 31x10.50 on a Lego.

Trailer should have a long enough tongue...I've got a 33 on the back of my truck and its almost 2' from the hatch...towed an enclosed trailer from SC to Utah... so I guess look at the trailer before you tow but never seen this as an issue

So I got my ball mount in the mail today. It worked. The trailer jack is far enough away where I can tow it. It's still pretty tight. I'll have to be really careful not to turn too tight. I'm still going to move it back though. I'll be taking the trailer with me when I go to get the rear bumper made and the rock sliders and have the guy help me mover the jack back just for peace of mind.

Anyway here is a pick of my dirty ass pathy with the trailer hooked to it. Ready to hit the road. One step closer to my mover to Syracuse NY.

185507_10150272600993087_732603086_7586187_7666357_n.jpg

Edited by The_Magicians_Eye