CEL light on...again.

NissanNismoZ

• 1 month later...

Okay..so i bought a multimeter..where do i start?

I tried checking for voltage from the MAF plug..but i get nothing.. (i could be doing something wrong) I'm pushing the pin in the pins on the maf plug and grounding the other one on the engine..and hoping for voltage..is that right?

If so..how do i check the maf with the plug plugged in? coz i dont see how you can check the maf, running..

Thanks! i do know the ground i added only has .02 ohms resistance..so im assuming that's alright.. but..any ideas??

Im assuming itll be the samev way to check my idle switch.. if those come up alright or something wrong, ill check the injectors for resistance?

EDIT

Shoved prong down inside MAF connector..and grounded the other prong..i can get around 1.0-2.5v from the maf when revving it..so its putting out voltage..so..it shouldnt be sending out a code..right?

Checked all injectors..except 4 and 6.. all read 13.8-14.0 ohms resistance

i know this doesnt help, but ill add the voltages of 4 and 6 when i can figure out how to reach them.. #4 was the injector i replaced before buying it..

Edited by NissanNismoZ

Check pins 16 & 17 at the ECM for the proper voltage. It could be an issue with the wiring in between the MAF and ECM. Just to add to your frustration, by the nature of an intermittent electrical problem it probably isn't doing it when you're testing it. The only thing I can suggest is to test at the ECM and then drive around watching the voltage to see if it will cut out.

When my MAF was bad it wasn't "always" bad. It picked and chose when it wanted to work.

• 1 month later...

Check pins 16 & 17 at the ECM for the proper voltage. It could be an issue with the wiring in between the MAF and ECM. Just to add to your frustration, by the nature of an intermittent electrical problem it probably isn't doing it when you're testing it. The only thing I can suggest is to test at the ECM and then drive around watching the voltage to see if it will cut out.

When my MAF was bad it wasn't "always" bad. It picked and chose when it wanted to work.

Okay..now that i've gotten a few of my exterior (easier) things fixed, im back to tracking these down.

How do i count these at the plug?

I added a new ground to my MAF sensor and..somehow that screwed up my security system..

Thanks! I just dont get how, on long trips (over 40 miles, or so) the CEL goes off and stays off.

I even went through the extent of leaving it disconnected over night..still shows the same codes, so im going to have to tear into the dirty part and get specific..

But..one thing i dont understand.. if it has ALL these codes.. what makes the light even come on? surely they cant just all stop malfunctioning at once..can they?

My codes still stand at:

12 Air Flow Meter/Mass Air Flow Sensor.

51 Injector Circuit.

45 Injector Leak.

34 Knock Sensor.

23 Idle Switch.

Edited by NissanNismoZ

Check the voltage at the MAF while the engine is running. You need to back probe the connector on the MAF. To do this you very carefully wiggle the leads of your meter under the weather sealed connector pins. I've got an R50 so I can't really show you with a picture. It has three wires. Voltage supply, voltage return and ground. You want to check the supply and return individually with your meter set on VDC.

Spent 10$ on a MAF from a paths pathy..well... put it in, drove it until the CEL came on (only about a mile) checked the codes, and still throwing the same codes..so im guessing this means im looking into even deeper troubles..

Spent 10$ on a MAF from a paths pathy..well... put it in, drove it until the CEL came on (only about a mile) checked the codes, and still throwing the same codes..so im guessing this means im looking into even deeper troubles..

I'm thinking you need to pull the passenger seat put your multimeter to the pins on the ECU and see if you can find a discrepency between whats coming out of your sensors and whats going back to the ecu. It doens't sound like a problem with the maf sensor itself to me.

Okay..let me change that a bit.. so i found out how to clear my codes (i thought you had to disco the battery, then reconnect and drive..)

so i clear them, start it up, go on a 30 mile drive, driving it extremely hard (nothing over 4k rpm though)

and.. no codes! the CEL doesnt even come on when i first turn the key..maybe the new MAF fixed it?

Will try what you said if the light comes on again..but until then..thanks everyone!!! :)

I should have known that was way too easy.. CEL is back... -.- so..

I'm going to try to check the pins on the ECU, as mentioned..but..i dont know how you count them??

Even after the (over 40 miles now) of no CEL, it comes back, first thing when i start it up today.. Same codes as before..im leaning toward it really being the same problems..or..it being a bad ECU. (too expensive, so going to do diagnostics for now..)

Thanks everyone!

To go back a few posts... you said the light goes out after you've been driving a while. I assume that this driving is highway, and at speed... suggests to me that the problem either occurs during acceleration (but not when holding speed) or before the car has fully warmed up.

Of course, I have no idea what that would point to.

Also, is the engine acting up when the CEL's on? My understanding is that when the MAF goes out, the engine sputters and coughs black smoke and generally lets you know that something is horribly awry. If the only symptom is the light coming on, maybe something else is acting up and posting your various codes.

And while I'm pretending I know what the hell I'm talking about... any chance you've got a bad seal on the gas cap? My friend freaked out and thought her Pontiac was breaking down because the CEL came on, turned out she just hadn't screwed the cap in. Having somehow never forgotten my cap, I don't know if Nissans do the same thing.

Hmm..honestly the engine drives the same..i notice zero change in performance from when its running all day without a CEL and when it has a CEL..that's why im so confused..

Ill check all my connections at the ECU when im home.. coz its bothering me..even though im leaning toward a ground somewhere..

Knock sensor... don't worry about it yet. That code pops up whenever there's another code for the most part.

I was going to say the same thing.

A malfunction causing the engine running super rough will casue a Knock sensor code to go off as well.

However, looking at all these codes, hwat codes you are getting all at once, which are really unrelated, and your mentioning a pinched wire(s) I am wondering if you have perhaps an engine harness problem where the whole harness is grounding signal out signal intermittantly and confusing the ECU abd causing the CEL to go on....

Edited by Alkorahil

Hmm..honestly the engine drives the same..i notice zero change in performance from when its running all day without a CEL and when it has a CEL..that's why im so confused..

Ill check all my connections at the ECU when im home.. coz its bothering me..even though im leaning toward a ground somewhere..

IIRC the pinout on the ecu harness is as you look at the harness from the front. So you would actually disconnect the harness from the ecm and count your pins from the front of it.

Okay..so after an hour of looking through the FSM..i found out it was in the electrical foldout..and not the electrical section..heh.

(You know what they say about assuming.....) So i'm supposing ill be pulling the seat tomorrow and checking to see what pins 16 & 17 say

actually..i remember when i first started fixing the pathy (before i bought it) the ECU was laying there unbolted and unplugged...)

last i remember there were a lot of extra plugs under there...are those just extras or something? I'll post more specific information on that tomorrow with a picture..

and im also no longer saying "my CEL is gone" until i get 500 miles of no CEL! it keeps getting my hopes up for no reason...

Woo! Okay..i did it.. Here's the information i got:

Pin 16 (Idle) .07v

Pin 16 (2000 RPM) .10v

Pin 17 (Idle) 13.17v

Pin 17 (2000 RPM) 12.75v

What exactly are pin 16 and 17?

16 seemed to act like the MAF (increases on throttle)

17 acted..odd. the harder i pushed on the pedal, the voltage went down??

Thanks everyone..i really appreciate the help!!!

In further news, someone recently told me about my rear speaker wires running beside the ECU could be causing interference and causing a CEL?

It is odd that after having the radio off for a while, the CEL went off. BUT. im not saying this is the fix until i hit another 1000 miles with no CEL.

Does anyone else agree this could cause interference? Or is the ECU too shielded for that?

Thanks!

In further news, someone recently told me about my rear speaker wires running beside the ECU could be causing interference and causing a CEL?

Your ECU is designed by engineers who know what shielding is. While not impossible I find this extremely unlikely. If anything the ECU would cause interference in your speaker signal.