off-road package?

87SEdan

imag0087.jpg

I know this is another question that has been been done to death before, but I have to ask. What are the options the off road models had. I've looked for the red sticker on the back axle and didn't see one but due to age it could have fallen off. My next hunch is the cluster I have, I've seen 2 different kinds. Is this the off road cluster? I'm confused

nope thats just the late 80's cluster before they switiched over to the Not-as-cool cluster.

My 89 came with the "sport package" wich included flares, mudflaps, 31" tires, full size spare, american racing alloy wheels, lsd and few other goodies...

But really there was no rhyme or reason to the configureations. the luxury models be downgraded if the customer was poor and the base models could be upgraded if the customer wanted more options.

I've looked for the red sticker on the back axle and didn't see one but due to age it could have fallen off.

As has been (recently) said, that LSD sticker on the rear axle is proably one of the toughest parts of these trucks, they never fall off! SO sadly (or depending on your locker plans happily) odds are you got an open diff... not a 100% guarantee as there IS a chance someone pealed it at some point within the past 24 years though :lol:

That's the '87-only gauge cluster. '88-'89 didn't have the sub fuel gauge or the oil pressure gauge (stupid!!!!)

Hey hey, we got a light!

Dude, that had nothing to do with the gauge cluster... Or even mention gauges anywhere in it :shrug:

Dude, this is what he asked:

"What are the options the off road models had"

so for his year, if that is what he was asking about (87), we know there was no "off road" package but a power package and a Sports package, I was just going to post the options for his year but decided to post all of them, you will notice an off road package was available above page 10/11 from July 93

Edited by ahardb0dy

It's been proven time and time again the "package" means absolutely 0, especially on wd21s, and read the last line of the original post (well before "I'm confused" obviously). Don't take it personal, I'm just in a disagreeing mood, and using it where it's valid.

It's been proven time and time again the "package" means absolutely 0, especially on wd21s, and read the last line of the original post (well before "I'm confused" obviously). Don't take it personal, I'm just in a disagreeing mood, and using it where it's valid.

not taking it personal, the gauge part of his question was already answered, I was just providing more details to someone who is new on the forum.

If you want to disagree with someone, go disagree with someone else !! LOL

Edited by ahardb0dy

As has been (recently) said, that LSD sticker on the rear axle is proably one of the toughest parts of these trucks, they never fall off! SO sadly (or depending on your locker plans happily) odds are you got an open diff... not a 100% guarantee as there IS a chance someone pealed it at some point within the past 24 years though :lol:

Hey hey, we got a light!

We have an oil pressure light too. The gage is so slow without the light the motor would run for at least a minute before we would know it didn't have oil pressure.

James

My 88 doesn't have sub fuel, or a sticker on the axle. Pretty sure I have LSD due to I would get stuck much more often if not...lol it's an XE... While we are on this sort of topic what the heck does th "sport/touring" button next to the E-Brake DO???? always wondered

My 88 doesn't have sub fuel, or a sticker on the axle. Pretty sure I have LSD due to I would get stuck much more often if not...lol it's an XE... While we are on this sort of topic what the heck does th "sport/touring" button next to the E-Brake DO???? always wondered

electronically adjustable shocks, that switch changes the stiffness.

electronically adjustable shocks, that switch changes the stiffness.

I love that button on mine, it used too make my fogs come on...

I have a kick ass little red button under the steering wheel cubby for my shocks (my truck is a old torn apart whore though)

I've never seen a dual fuel gauge on an '88+ SE. Ever.

I miss my oil pressure gauge. Was nice knowing exactly where everything was at. James, have you replaced the sender unit? On mine it was quick as can be and responsive even with 250K miles.

I also must be a rarity with my missing LSD sticker. And yes, it has LSD. Trust me.

I've never seen a dual fuel gauge on an '88+ SE. Ever.

I miss my oil pressure gauge. Was nice knowing exactly where everything was at. James, have you replaced the sender unit? On mine it was quick as can be and responsive even with 250K miles.

I also must be a rarity with my missing LSD sticker. And yes, it has LSD. Trust me.

Yes, the first thing I did was put a manual gauge on it to make sure. Then installed a new sending unit. I kept the old one because the new one works the same.

All the gauges are slow so I figured that was just how they work. The fuel gauge takes a couple of minutes until it finally levels off.

James

Edited by JamesRich

I don't know what i was thinking...I have an SE. I went out yesterday to look for the fabled sticker and found only the white sticker backing remnants. I probaly wire wheeled the sticker off during maintenance and cleaning.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...