off-road package?

87SEdan

All the switches on the console... so you've got (best case) fog lights, alarm, shock adjuster, rear hatch popper, and heated seat controls. If it doesn't have heated seats or fogs the holes will be covered with black plastic blanking plates.

There's a lot of things this could be. I'm sure there's a fuse somewhere that deals with them. Also, try pulling your console (not too tough, open the top, pull the rubber sheet out of the bottom, and undo the two screws; then there are a couple more screws up by the shifter) and see if they're even plugged in. IIRC there are a couple in-line fuses under the driver's seat, pretty sure they're for the ABS or the alarm though.

I've never properly tested my alarm, because I don't have the keyfob to turn it off. But everything else (fogs, hatch, suspension) works. When I got it some noob had tried to rewire the fogs, so my dad had to re-do the wiring to them. Yours may have the same problem. (Do the lights in the suspension and fogs switch light up?)

Also keep in mind, the suspension isn't a huge difference. I can sort of tell what mode mine's in, but with 16 year old shocks, there's only so much it's going to do. Never mind, wasn't testing properly.

Edited by Slartibartfast

Will the dual gas gauge cluster even work on a 88/89, is there a plug for the oil gauge and second gas gauge?

Tom

Just a small thing about the secondary fuel gauge:

All models that used the square dash, with the exception of the rounded gauges one, have a sub fuel gauge hookup. The later models that have the little fuel light actually have variable voltage output to the light and the light comes on when the voltage is right. The light starts real dim and then turns bright as you run out of gas. :lol:

However, the secondary gauge is pretty much useless because running your fuel pump that low will probably kill it. The oil light is also more than enough for the average user. The good thing about having the gauge is you can monitor the needle bounce up and down on engine revs but VGs don't have funny oil problems except maybe on Z cars which are remedied with huge oil pans.

Someone please chime in on the oil light vs oil gauge deal because I don't know if the oil gauge is actually even a real gauge or just a switch that triggers with low oil pressure. I know on some cars the oil gauge was just a switch that was replaced with only a light later on. I was wondering if Nissan did the same or used a true gauge and later replaced it with only a light.

If Nissan used a true gauge then that sender should still output a voltage range good enough for a gauge but the electronic chip or whatever is inside the cluster or ECU converts it into a GOOD or BAD idiot light. In that case a retro-fit to a real gauge is also possible just like with the sub fuel gauge.

Edited by Tungsten

I've got a 94 with the "sports package" but the only problem i have is that the shock adjuster and all the other switches on the console are not responsive any help?

Better to post in the 90-95 section. If you have a fog light switch, check your bulbs, and your fuse is behind the battery.

'Also keep in mind, the suspension isn't a huge difference. I can sort of tell what mode mine's in, but with 16 year old shocks, there's only so much it's going to do. "

I can say in my 94 if I have the shocks in the comfort position (is that what it's called I forget), anyway, in the non sport position if I press down on the rear of the truck it will move quite a bit, or if I rock the truck from the side it moves a lot, in the sport position you can hardly press down on the rear or get the truck to rock side to side, so 16 years old or not these shocks are working !!

(Do the lights in the suspension and fogs switch light up?)

Also keep in mind, the suspension isn't a huge difference. I can sort of tell what mode mine's in, but with 16 year old shocks, there's only so much it's going to do. Never mind, wasn't testing properly.

My fog light switch lights up when the fogs are on. My suspension switch doesnt, but as stated above, my shocks are probably the originals, and though they dont work great, In sport mode it rides pretty rigid, and comfort is very soft.

When I first bought my 94 I didn't think the adjustable shocks worked cause the switch didn't light up but after doing the rocking test I knew they worked so I figured the light in the switch was out, I picked up a bulb from radio shack and replaced the stock bulb and it works now, the bulb is real easy to replace since the legs coming off the bulb just pass thru a small piece of rubber inside the switch so no soldering needed, just remove the old bulb and feed the 2 wire legs thru the rubber the same way the stock bulb was in there and re-assemble the switch shouldn't take more than a few minutes, the bulb is cheap too. I think this is the bulb I used:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103780&retainProdsInSession=1

$1.99 for 2

When I first bought my 94 I didn't think the adjustable shocks worked cause the switch didn't light up but after doing the rocking test I knew they worked so I figured the light in the switch was out, I picked up a bulb from radio shack and replaced the stock bulb and it works now, the bulb is real easy to replace since the legs coming off the bulb just pass thru a small piece of rubber inside the switch so no soldering needed, just remove the old bulb and feed the 2 wire legs thru the rubber the same way the stock bulb was in there and re-assemble the switch shouldn't take more than a few minutes, the bulb is cheap too. I think this is the bulb I used:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103780&retainProdsInSession=1

$1.99 for 2

I dont plan on having these shocks much longer, its good to know there is a light in there though.