R50 Jdm Headlight Install Thread

shift220

I was the lucky guy to get these headlights from tekazgtr1984. I got them in on Wednesday and had them fitted in a couple hours. Did 80% of the wiring today (only clean up / wire loom left!). Should be able to finish them up in the next day or two. On to the pictures..

IMG_1858.jpg

First thing I noticed was how much larger these units were. The ballast, igniter and leveler motor are all mounted on the back of the headlight. Hmm...

So the first step was to get the old headlights out. This requires removing the grille. Five little plastic clips are removed using a flat-head. Four are located in a rectangle within the grille opening. The fifth is tucked away behind the nissan emblem right in the middle.

IMG_1859.JPG

After you remove the side markers, there is a 10mm bolt on either side

IMG_1862.JPG

IMG_1863.JPG

The headlight is held in with four 10mm nuts. One of which is conveniently located behind the window washer fluid container and radiator overflow.

IMG_1865.JPG

IMG_1866.JPG

IMG_1868.JPG

Here is a picture comparing the old halogen headlight to the new JDM.

IMG_1869.JPG

...something doesn't look like it'll fit...

IMG_1871.JPG

...oh, now it will P...

IMG_1872.JPG

You lucky dog! Sucks you had to do some cutting but I would gladly to fit those babies as well! I am looking forward to seeing those bad boys lit up!

Are you going to use the little city lights or are you going to leave them out of the equation?

Those headlights are oem with projector units like that?? Very nice looking didnt know that was an option. Id definitely clean up the top right side of that hole though

They are currently setup like this:

DRL: City Lights

Low Beam: HID

High Beam: Halogens + City Lights

I will explain the high beams when I finish up the install and put up pics (hopefully tonight, maybe tomorrow morning!)

I won't have the auto-leveling working just yet. I might try to figure it out in the summer when I can give it some down time.

The leveling system on those lights is a little tricky. They aren't auto-leveling. You control their position with a switch. Hopefully you have the wires and plug for the leveling motor. It's been a while since I installed mine, but I recall that there are 4 positions.

The leveling circuit doesn't work like the leveling systems on newer R50 models with projectors, such as the QX4. The QX4 headlamp leveling system uses resistors (in the leveling switch) to provide a signal to the leveling motor circuit, while these lamps use a 4-position switch to provide +12v to one (or more) of the terminals. I'd need to take a look at my wiring diagram to be sure, though.

Edited by XPLORx4

The leveling system on those lights is a little tricky. They aren't auto-leveling. You control their position with a switch. Hopefully you have the wires and plug for the leveling motor. It's been a while since I installed mine, but I recall that there are 4 positions.

The leveling circuit doesn't work like the leveling systems on newer R50 models with projectors, such as the QX4. The QX4 headlamp leveling system uses resistors (in the leveling switch) to provide a signal to the leveling motor circuit, while these lamps use a 4-position switch to provide +12v to one (or more) of the terminals. I'd need to take a look at my wiring diagram to be sure, though.

That would be great if you could let me know. Then I could at least run wires for an easier install later. I did some research and it figured it was similar to others using resistance.

I do have the plugs and wires (6-pin plugs).

Thanks!

continuing with the install..

I used three relays to trigger each set of lights: city lights, HID (lowbeam) and halogen (highbeam). I ran 18 gauge to the city lights and 12 gauge to the other two. New grounds were supplied as well.

IMG_1880.JPG

IMG_1881.JPG

IMG_1882.JPG

you can see the wiring gets pretty messy when your dealing with this many wires

IMG_1886.JPG

sockets wired in...

IMG_1887.JPG

...and loomed up for a clean install

IMG_1890.JPG

IMG_1892.JPG

IMG_1893.JPG

Only so much I could do here with the wiring. It is tucked away in a safe place.

IMG_1894.JPG

..and the finished product! Best pic I could get in the garage. I'll get some nighttime shots tonight.

IMG_1896.JPG

That looks awesome on you rig! The process is the same for the qx4, looking at your pics i'm having flashbacks to when i installed mine. i had to cut the radiator support just like you:

0403001404.jpg

I've got everything hooked up except for the leveling. For the city lights, i just wired them into the corner lights (i wish i did a dedicated switch like you did)

Post some pics with the city lights on!

Edited by FUELER

yeah they do look pimp from the outside, but the biggest thing i love about the JDM HIS headlights is the light output. theres no need for offroad lights when you have these. Even when people who don't know a thing about cars (or dont care) when they hop in my ride at night and i turn the headlights on, they go "WHOA WHAT THE HELL??"

and the light cutoff is so sharp that oncoming drivers dont get blinded

Edited by FUELER

Yup she needs a wash for sure.

It's tough to get a good picture to give these headlights justice. The HID light output is incredible to say the least.

This is with the flash on

IMG_1897.JPG

and more realistically..

IMG_1899.JPG

IMG_1901.JPG

^^ looks really sick with only the city lights on. The little bulbs light up the housing but nothing else. It looks like a pair of cat eyes in the dark.

HID Lowbeams:

IMG_1907.JPG

(no flash)

IMG_1903.JPG

Highbeams:

IMG_1904.JPG

wait did you say that your city lights only come on with the high beams?

Yup. I tried to use the DRL circuit to activate the relay but it wouldn't work. For some reason the voltage is slightly lower through that circuit (compared to any other one @ ~14.1v) and it doesn't seem to be a clean DC. The relay would cycle really quickly when I activated the DRLs. I'm guessing the DRL module senses the load and can change the voltage (for example if one bulb burns out?) Anyway, I used the +12v highbeam wire that is activated for the DRL to flip the city light relay. As a consequence, the city lights also come on when the highbeams are activated. No biggie for me.