What did you do to your Pathfinder today?

RedRider3141

O2 sensor is new as well... checking for vacuum leaks is a good idea.

Should I unplug the AAC valve (controls idle) when spraying propane or whatever around to find leaks?

Edited by sewebster

I thought that was a symptom of vapor lock?

I don't think so! If you leave your gas cap off, your fuel will evaporate away, I had this happen on one of my old cars, gas goes away quick when it's not sealed!

B: NICE!

just layin in a jar? not cool... so much nicer ways of doein it :headwall:

used the 4runner for my running today so far so I did nothing to WhiteOwl today besides almost door ding him

Someone didn't want to put time into it, break the tire down - 'spin' it on the wheel -remount. See if it takes less weight. They do weights on both sides as well? I'd hate to see what te inside lip looks like if so...

Started the day at 10am with no tranny or motor and drove home at 6pm. Oddly enough only issue was my pass. side headlight wont work just low beam is out even with a new bulb. Hmmmm.

Got both steering spindles dismounted over the weekend, as well as all the ball joints and front shocks.

Now searching for an impact wrench to undo the stubborn bolts that are leftover, order some UCA spindles, and throw her back together. Might do the brakes while I've got her broken down this far too.

Filled er up again.... this time I got 16 MPG after driving mountain highways with 4 people and gear (and like 3 miles of easy 4lo). So that's way better than my 9 mpg city... maybe a fluke. Probably I'd get a few more MPG if I was driving by myself on a flat highway... so maybe I'm good. Just need to avoid driving in the city! But I knew that already...

Filled er up again.... this time I got 16 MPG after driving mountain highways with 4 people and gear (and like 3 miles of easy 4lo). So that's way better than my 9 mpg city... maybe a fluke. Probably I'd get a few more MPG if I was driving by myself on a flat highway... so maybe I'm good. Just need to avoid driving in the city! But I knew that already...

You sure there's nothing binding in the drive train or brake system?

Think I just found the root cause of my crappy idle and vacuum leak type miss. The whole IACV. Messing with the screw doesn't do much anymore and when I tapped the unit with a hammer the intake quieted down a lot and the idle smoothed out and a few seconds later it started to drop again, then miss a little more.

DSCN0674.jpg

You sure there's nothing binding in the drive train or brake system?

Well, I just re-did the brakes (new calipers, rotors, pads all 4 wheels). But maybe jacking it up and making sure everything spins freely is an easy check. The parking brakes seem like maybe they stick a bit when I first get going... (it's the little internal drum inside the rear rotor).

Drivetrain... I know the transmission is screwed, lots of noise in 3rd and 5th. Maybe this is affecting things. What else would be binding? My auto hubs seem to lock and unlock ok. My driveshafts have no play in them... but the ujoints are probably pretty old. I sortof assume that there will be play if they need service but maybe I should get them done preventatively...

Think I just found the root cause of my crappy idle and vacuum leak type miss. The whole IACV. Messing with the screw doesn't do much anymore and when I tapped the unit with a hammer the intake quieted down a lot and the idle smoothed out and a few seconds later it started to drop again, then miss a little more.

Looks way different on the TBI engine. I'm not sure I'd interpret the screw not doing much as a problem though. The ECU should try to control the idle at the probably speed regardless of the screw setting. Basically the computer will fight against you turning the screw to get to 750. But the valve (aac valve on MPFI) could be sticking so it can't control the idle air properly?

Looks way different on the TBI engine. I'm not sure I'd interpret the screw not doing much as a problem though. The ECU should try to control the idle at the probably speed regardless of the screw setting. Basically the computer will fight against you turning the screw to get to 750. But the valve (aac valve on MPFI) could be sticking so it can't control the idle air properly?

Ohh no no, it's not anything Pathfinder. '84 Z31. Link to build thread here. I have removed the computer controlled idle stuff (not wired in) and it has been manually set to exactly 1000RPM. The computer has zero control over any idle function, and I haven't had an issue with it till a month or so ago when it would randomly start idling poor after sitting at a stop light or whatever for a little bit. I believe the unit is leaking internally causing the poor idle and vacuum leak issue. Before, I could control the idle up to 1500RPM or down to 500RPM - steady with no miss or stumble.

Whenever it starts to idle poor a smack with the hammer fixes it for a bit. So I'll source a new one somewhere and throw it in. I'm digging around on the Z car forums and I'm not the only one that's had a leak develop in the IACV.

Edited by Kingman