Body Lift

texasmuddbug

About 99% of those of us with a lift have.

Exactly, its about the only show in town unless you build your own. I have about 6 - 7 years on mine, no problems so far and it makes oil changes much easier, its just the obvious increased center of gravity to think about.

Do I need the radiator drop down bracket?

Not necessarily, there ARE ways around it, i.e. cutting up some rad hoses and removing part of the fan shroud which may reduce your cooling abilities if you are in a very hot climate...

Pretty sure I got one from 4x4parts.com laying around in my garage somewhere, if you're looking to save a buck

Not necessarily, there ARE ways around it, i.e. cutting up some rad hoses and removing part of the fan shroud which may reduce your cooling abilities if you are in a very hot climate...

Pretty sure I got one from 4x4parts.com laying around in my garage somewhere, if you're looking to save a buck

It won't affect the cooling much if at all. I didn't relocate my rad and all I had to do to the shroud was cut 1 inch on each side of it off and it has never rubbed.

Also I drove across the US (including texas, utah, nevada, california) and part of Canada this past summer (various members on the forum can attest to this) and I never had any overheating issues at all and I had the a/c on like 80% of the time lol.

when we did the 3" body lift on my 87 Hardbody, we used the radiator lowering bracket on the bottom and they gave brackets to lower the top but the installer I worked with found that you could just flip the upper Nissan radiator mounts upside down and they lined up with the dropped radiator.

Just to throw it in, I have a 95 Pathy with a 2" lift with no radiator drop and only the fan shroud bottom 1/3 clip removed. It cools like stock, no problems what so ever.

I've been driving Nissan trucks for over 15 years and I have never had a cooling issue ever. Well, the radiator cap lip broke on me once so I couldn't secure the cap, but never from overheating, even in the deserts of Baja in July. From what I can tell, Nissan designs the cooling system so the thermostat will meter temperature and not have the cooling system run at max capacity unless you drive into an active volcano...

B

Sweet, thanks for all the advice. I think I'll do it without the drop down bracket. It gets into the 100's in the summer here but judging from everyone else experience that shouldn't be a problem. Hopefully by the end of February I'll have the kit in hand.

if you just take a die grinder and cut off the lower radiator supports and take the top radiator brakets and flip them upside down the radiator will fit perfectly with the 3 inch body lift. i was going to make some lower brackets but i never got around to it and its been fine for about 2 years now lol

• 1 month later...

What's involved with doing a body lift? Is the best way to do this is a big block of timber and a floor jack? I see the kit mentioned here is for the early p-finders but mine is a 91 so the website says I need a more expensive kit (special grade 8 bolts for the later model). Whats the difference? IIRC the 90+ needs longer bolts in the back somewhere but it's entirely possible that I'm just talking out of my ass. I wanted to rock a set of tire chains for high mountain roads but with the saggingness of my rear springs and my 31" tires there's not enough clearance.

everything should be grade 10.8 no matter the lift...i've put one on my 87 and one on my gf's 95...hte lift for the 95 isnt available yet but i did some modifications to make it work...hopefully Steevo from RROR will soon have a 3" BL for the 4 doors off the shelf...but anywho i used hte same kit for both my 87 and 95 (4013 i think) theres a good bit of work involved...def a weekend project by yourslef