Lunar Eclipse

Precise1

Well, not being a pagan, it means nothing to me that this lunar eclipse fell on the winter solstice but it does mean something that it happened precisely on the day that my new 500mm fixed magnification mirror lens arrived. Translated, that means I didn't sleep enough last night.

Here are some pictures for you, taken over the span of 3 hours. Yes, this is harder than it seems and no, I didn't take these pictures wiith my cell phone...

071.jpg

Moon119.jpg

Moon132.jpg

Moon142.jpg

Moon151.jpg

158.jpg

Moon233.jpg

If you think it is blurry, this last picture had a shutter speed of 10 seconds, so I blame the earth for spinning.

B

I got lucky, one storm was rolling out and another rolling in so these pictures were literally timed and taken through gaps in the clouds.

I'm glad everyone likes them, I had to try...

B

Well, not being a pagan, it means nothing to me that this lunar eclipse fell on the winter solstice but it does mean something that it happened precisely on the day that my new 500mm fixed magnification mirror lens arrived. Translated, that means I didn't sleep enough last night.

If you think it is blurry, this last picture had a shutter speed of 10 seconds, so I blame the earth for spinning.

B

Good grief! Hell of a time to get a lens like that.

Nice shots B - and on the 10 second exposure, cmon now, it's common knowledge that the universe spins around us. I blame the universe.

Ya lost me there Harbie, I don't get what time has to do with it. :shrug:

Actually, it was a good time for a deal. Fixed 500mm F6.3 lens and a T-mount adapter

for $150 delivered. :aok:

Manual only so it's not for wimps though. You saw the pictures it can take...

056.jpg

B

Edited by Precise1
Corrected

Here is a time lapse video. Those are some good shots B!

Damn!! That is really what it looked like, only smaller.

Well, I can't compete with superior equipment!! His are about the same magnification but far sharper, even though the focus does change which surprised me.

Evil omens!

It is the end!

We are doomed!

*snort*

Quiet fool, if they hear you, the Mayans will kill us all!!

Seriously though, people did die over such things.

Whoa!!

Wow, I gotta look into getting fixed lenses! I am getting a 55-200 for xmas that was atleast 200!

True, but the lens you are talking about is much more practical and versatile...

I'll be getting a 2x teleconverter for my camera which will support this lens nicely. Some shots of the were taken at 1000 shutter speed so light won't be an issue.

B

Nice shots B - and on the 10 second exposure, cmon now, it's common knowledge that the universe spins around us. I blame the universe.

Ok, reading it again after work is different. Yes, I had no idea the eclipse was going to happen, didn't time the purchase or any such thing. The fact that it showed up and the weather basically cooperated pretty much made me have to stay up 1/2 the night and give it an honest try. I'm satisfied with a few of the shots and know what I'll do next time.

I blame the universe.

Nice!!

This is my new saying.

It is irrefutable.

B

Manual only though so it's for wimps though. You saw the pictures it can take...

Manual only is for wimps? I don't know many people who can meter and expose a manual photograph anymore...

Ok, reading it again after work is different. Yes, I had no idea the eclipse was going to happen, didn't time the purchase or any such thing. The fact that it showed up and the weather basically cooperated pretty much made me have to stay up 1/2 the night and give it an honest try. I'm satisfied with a few of the shots and know what I'll do next time.

Ha! I was wondering... Nice score though, dare I ask though, what was the intended purpose? By that, did you mean for it to be used for shooting "heavenly bodies" as the case maybe? :D Also, I slept through the eclipse myself, but it must have been rather bright. Was that 10 seconds @ f6.3? or did you stop down some?

Nice!!

This is my new saying.

It is irrefutable.

B

Ha! I concur even.

Edited by Harbinger

Wow, I gotta look into getting fixed lenses! I am getting a 55-200 for xmas that was atleast 200!

Fixed lenses can be rather economical and produce fantastic results. The 55-200 you have is much more efficient for casual shooting however, and I'm guessing it has a similar aperture range to the mirror lens B used for these shots.

For what it's worth - lenses don't come cheap. The Canon 70-200L 2.8 IS lens easily costs double what I paid for my pathy...

Good glass makes the difference though. My fave so far is my Tamron 17-50 2.8, and it cost more than my digital SLR body.

Edited by Harbinger

Manual only is for wimps? I don't know many people who can meter and expose a manual photograph anymore...

Ha! I was wondering... Nice score though, dare I ask though, what was the intended purpose? By that, did you mean for it to be used for shooting "heavenly bodies" as the case maybe? :D Also, I slept through the eclipse myself, but it must have been rather bright. Was that 10 seconds @ f6.3? or did you stop down some?

Ha! I concur even.

Sorry, obviously a typo. I simply cheated by taking a frame and seeing if it had proper exposure and adjusting the shutter speed accordingly, hence the beauty of a DSLR with a LCD screen. I don't have a light meter to use unless I break out the Pentax K1000, the Leica or the Rolleiflex and I'm a bit rusty with those...

The full moon was quite bright with some shots at 1000 shutter speed where as the eclipse of it was very dim, needing the 10 second exposure. No, the lens is a fixed 500mm and fixed f6.3 so no stopping down. All you have to worry about is focus and shutter speed so that makes it easier, right??

The reason I bought the lens was the price, the size and the F-stop. It is dirt cheap, is sub 4" diameter/5" long (>1lb) so carrying it is not an issue and it has a decent aperture. It is a great wild life lens and would do wonders with a 2x tube, but wait to see what hummingbird pictures I score with it as is, a tripod and a remote... ;)

What are you shooting BTW?? Nikon D90 here.

B

• 4 weeks later...

You would ask now after I deleted the pictures from the camera... I was in manual mode and kept changing the shutter speed but it should be around 200ish. The picture would over saturate at anything less than 100. The lens is F6.3 and the moon reflects a lot of light. I took a few shots at 1000 shutter speed!! This is all done with a tripod and remote of course...

B