Transmission Removal

Nismojunky

thanks for all your help

tired the search function and i got hits for transmission noise 20 posts in poho and a bunch of other crap im not waisting 20 hours of my life seaching threw pages of useless crap looking for something. i went threw a few pages and didnt find anything so i post a topic isnt that a point of this fourm if u have a question post it up??? or am i terribly wrong?

There actually isn't a thread on trans swaps here so I'll give you some tips from my experience helping brandon, robb.

-Access the Torque converter bolts through the starter hole. It's tricky but it works.

-Jack up the truck nice and high (or use your mechanics hoist).

-Remove your exhaust, since you have headers remove the headers and Y pipe.

-When you take the torsion bars out be careful and MARK THE SPLINES.

-You don't need to remove the front diff just loosen it.

-Have a friend watch the top few tranny bolts it makes it a lot easier.

-Watch out that tranny is a heavy biatch.

-remove driveshafts and mark the way they go.

-drain the tranny before you start. and unhook all the lines/electrical @!*% and cable.

thanks for all your help

tired the search function and i got hits for transmission noise 20 posts in poho and a bunch of other crap im not waisting 20 hours of my life seaching threw pages of useless crap looking for something. i went threw a few pages and didnt find anything so i post a topic isnt that a point of this fourm if u have a question post it up??? or am i terribly wrong?

Yeah, you are right, I never help at all...

Yeah, the search engine is pretty funky, but I find things with it daily. Sorry if you don't want to waste time, but you want other to do the same??

I'm not crapping on you specifically, but pointing out that the info is here and can be found without too much trouble most of the time.

That said, have you downloaded your FSM yet??

B

I'm gonna throw my 2 cents in here as well because I understand the argument from both the person trying to get the help in here and from the people who have the knowledge and are sick of seeing and answering the same questions over and over again. It doesn't hurt anyone to mention trying the search function, as long as you keep that comment short and sweet, even if you want to be a smart-ass replying because your sick of saying the same thing over and over. I feel you guys, this ain't my first forum club in my 37 years. But the fact of the matter remains, hundreds more newbs are gonna come through here just like me, and some of us are better at "SEARCH" searching than others. And each and everyone of us are the same, WE NEED HELP brother, now, not attitude. If you wanna offer it up but also wanna vent your frustration on answering that question for the millionth time, find a way to separate the two, so we can all help each other out and EVERYONE will want to hang around. And who knows, that newb might show you something down the road that you never thought of, or you might just end up making a friend you can wheel with locally or whatever, etc.etc.etc. Plus you know it's the right thing to do bro....(even if you cringe while typing, lol)(Don't forget when you were a newb, that might help) :friday: (Feel free to flame me now boys, I can take it, I know it's coming :suicide: )

• Like 1

Just realized NismoJunky ain't even a newb man.....is that worse? haha....BTW, I've only received nothing but great help from everyone including Precise1, but moderator or not, we all have to be reminded from time to time that were all human and just want to get along with one another brother. And this club is extremely helpful in maintaining and modifying our rides, and we all should try and maintain coolness and brotherhood.(damn, my soapbox just broke, oh well) :treadmill:

Edited by Specv1973

No worries, I hear what you are saying and needed the reminder. Yeah, I get a bit frustrated with people who expect everything to be repeated just for them when it can probably be found with a little perseverance. Thanks for calling me on it.

Sorry Nismojunky, that wasn't the best approach and I probably would have done better by just passing it by entirely.

That said, I have a lot of things going on right now and have been snapping at people lately. Perhaps it is time for me to take another break from the forums... :shrug:

B

I just dropped the manual tranny in my parts truck, to replace the dead auto in my other one.I didn't loosen the front diff at all and I didn't remove the torsion bar cross member. I took all the bolts out (took the tension off the bars)and just wedged it in a lower position. Pulled the tranny back a little dropped the front and then pushed it forward to drop the back. I did all this with a floor jack, no adapters. I won't lie it was a pain but not impossible, as I had never done anything like this before. I think it was harder getting that clutch pedal out from under the dash. It will all be worth it in the end though. Good luck. Now if I only had time to drop the auto to do that swap.... Any questions just ask.

I just dropped the manual tranny in my parts truck, to replace the dead auto in my other one.I didn't loosen the front diff at all and I didn't remove the torsion bar cross member. I took all the bolts out (took the tension off the bars)and just wedged it in a lower position. Pulled the tranny back a little dropped the front and then pushed it forward to drop the back. I did all this with a floor jack, no adapters. I won't lie it was a pain but not impossible, as I had never done anything like this before. I think it was harder getting that clutch pedal out from under the dash. It will all be worth it in the end though. Good luck. Now if I only had time to drop the auto to do that swap.... Any questions just ask.

Thats exactly how i lowered my trans.. with a floor jack with wheels. loosened up all the lines,bolts and wires. emptied out the fluid and well... lowered it. But yea it is a heavy b*tch. And yea the T-C bolts thru the starter hole. Good luck with that and keep us posted if anything else man. And if you need any other help just ask.

then wont it fall out and break? unless of course you have something holding it up i guess... i would think it would be eaiser on all fours jacked out... like i did. thats just me though. whatever gits er out! :lol:

I really doubt he's just going to let it fall out and onto the ground below :togo:

Without repeating exactly what was already said, they are obviously heavy and although I was able to do it by myself, an extra person would have been helpful. I took it out much the same way as stated above (without dropping the front diff.) Just be prepared to drop the front and/or raise and tilt the engine if you cannot get things aligned properly.

I have found over the 4 transmission swaps I have done (all but the last 2 with different "tricks") that the absolute easiest way to get the transmission bolted back to the motor is this:

Remove the 4 bolts holding the motor mounts to the frame and hoist the motor an inch or two (or all the way out if you want). Bolt the transmission cross-member to the transmission and jack the transmission up into it's place. Bolt the transmission cross-member to the frame. Lower the motor back down, but not all the way. Wiggle the motor until the torque converter nub slides into the back of the crank-shaft. While still wiggling re-bolt the transmission to the motor.

It is a billion times easier to wiggle a hoisted motor than a jacked transmission. The last time I did a transmission re-install, it took less than an hour from the time I bolted the transmission mount to the frame to the time the last bolt was done on the motor.

I am doing a swap for my dad's newly acquired pathy here this next weekend, and I will get some good pics and follow Precise1's SUPER advice and do a write-up. We will turn this site into a wiki yet!

hey are u guys leaving the transfer case on the tranny when removing it?

I've done both each with pros and cons

Remove transfer: Lighter, but you need to remove the shifter and cover to undo the bolts on top.

I would thoroughly recommend removing the torsion bars though either way :aok:

My reverse is gone so im swaping the transmission from my parts truck into my truck any tips on getting these things out and back in again???

You putting a shift kit in the new one?

:aok: Do it.

We added a new feature to support the search function that can help limit unrelated hits when searching :aok:

Search Filter Options

okay we get it out farly easy dropped the tbas and exause starter and unbolted it we had a tranny jack on the hoist so it was much easier and yes there was 2 of us not as bad of a job as i thought, but it was put on hold when we discovered a seeping RMS so we ordered a new one

okay we get it out farly easy dropped the tbas and exause starter and unbolted it we had a tranny jack on the hoist so it was much easier and yes there was 2 of us not as bad of a job as i thought, but it was put on hold when we discovered a seeping RMS so we ordered a new one

IMPORTANT: Make sure that it's only the RMS that's leaking. I only say this because when I did mine a while ago it was the sump gasket that was leaking as well.

Lucky for me I caught it before the engine went back in.

:beer: