Flat Tow Flat Tow

andreus009

I thought with a 5speed just putting it into 5th would work? I would also disengage the front hubs (if you have manuals) and like you said remove the rear shaft..

Also, you will need to remove the negative battery cable, and put a key in the ignition to on, so the steering wheel can turn freely while driving down the road.

All that's needed is putting the transfer case and transmission in neutral, remove the drive shaft is even better.

WRONG!

The rear driveshaft does need disconnected. If it is left connected it can cause problems in the tranny, even if it and the T-case are put in neutral, the shafts inside still spin.

WRONG!

The rear driveshaft does need disconnected. If it is left connected it can cause problems in the tranny, even if it and the T-case are put in neutral, the shafts inside still spin.

:aok: pull the shaft, it only takes a couple minutes. And don't skimp on your safetys

I wouldn't remove the drive shaft!! Disconnect it at the differential and hang it...

Oh, clock the bolt pattern so you bolt it up the same way.

B

Actually hanging it was my plan ;-)

Yeah, clocking is a good idea. Not sure if I've done it every time i pulled the shaft, but will probably do it this time since i remembered to mark it.

Yeah disconnect and hang the drive shaft, make sure you tie it forward (did this once myself) to prevent it from falling out.

As Cuong said above, you don't want it fall out.

*imagines the pathy being pole-vaulted over the tow rig* lol.gif

Actually ended up pulling it back to the round ~ 4" tube that goes between the frame rails over top the differential. First wrapped the tube in some rubber, then heavy duty tie wrapped the drive shaft in place through the holes in the drive shaft flange. The other end was still engaged on the output shaft so it couldn't fall out, but it did have some up and down play on the spline, so I added a strap under the shaft near the transfer case so it would hold it tight in the up position.

Also, with it pulled back like this it leaves a gap between the drift shaft disk and the dust cover over the tcase. Wrapped this area with a trash bag and tie wrapped in place.

• 1 month later...

We flat towed our 87 with 5 speed for about a year before it was stolen never disconnecting anything just putting the transfer case in neutral, averaging about 300 miles a day.

Our 88 auto we have flat towed off and on for 5 years the same way and no problems.

If I remember correctly Nissan recommended after 200 miles starting the engine and running the trans in gear to lube everything, this was before I retired in 93 so they might have changed since then

You don't need to leave the key to on just leave it in the ignition, the wheel only locks when you take the key out.

if the key isnt in the ignition it will lock the steering column...

I just had a hellatious towing experience...roll back got a flat with no spare...we ended up taking the dually shreaded tire off and putting just 1 wheel on so we dropped the pathy off and towed it front wheels up...i pulled the Dshaft rear flange bolts and laid the Dshaft on top of the muffler and used a motorcycle tie down to secure it pulling it fwd...theres not a really good place to do it so i wrapped it around the mufflers inlet pipe and used the muffler as the front anchor point...

what part of NC? I hope to get to gulches in laurnes SC for wheeling soon or to URE before they close for the season

Edited by unccpathfinder

WRONG!

WRONG :lol:

Hell when I towed Dog over 800km I never disconnected the drive shaft, yes the torque converter packed up, but that couldn't have been anything to do with towing.

If it was there would have been damage inside the trans, and it was mint.

Each to their own.