Pathy ou X?

YUKON

OK here is the real way to do it with the 2 vehicles listed, You sale one and buy a WD-21 pathy and use the spare money to do a 3+3 lift tires sliders and bumpers and a lockright. :takebow:

OK on a real note out of the 2 you listed I would use the X because of having a frame. There is also allot more aftermarket support for the x.

I run my 2001 R50 and love it. Yeah it isn't the best machine you could buy to do the job, but mine does it well. I was off-roading with it at stock height for a while and went everywhere that the other guys with lifted trucks were going. I now have my lift and it works well for me.

pathyliftchange.jpg

DSC04224.jpg

DSC04093.jpg

IMG00159-20100613-2035.jpg

Don't know why everyone is saying the 3.3L is better, as most guys aren't stating reasons for it over the 3.5L (except for Simon that mentioned the valve screw thing). I have had no problems with my 3.5L except for blown O2 sensors. Other than that it runs very good and has a lot more power than the 3.3L.

There is more aftermarket support for the xterra than the pathfinder. But anything is doable.

I wouldn't sleep in the truck unless you really need to. There is more then enough room to do so, but there are other options. If you are overly concerned about animals and insects, you can get a roof-tent to sleep in. That way you can keep all your gear in the truck on those long trails.

DSC03842.jpg

Parts for the pathy and xterra are both pretty common. So you should be able to get them at pretty much any Nissan dealership or places like NAPA.

Only difference I could see is that you are likely going to pay more for the xterra than the pathy. You could use that money you save from buying the xterra to put more mods on the pathy.

In the end you will really need to get in both types of trucks and go for a ride to see how you like them and pick the one that you think fits the best.

Edited by Northernpathy
  • Like 1

those tires are loud if your not offroad. They are best suited for mud, snow and other soft terrain but If you want a mud tire that is a little more polite on the street the Nokian Vatiiva MT has been the best tire I ever owned. Mine have served me well on everything but ICE.

Well, thankfully they don't get any of that up there in Canadia... unsure.gif

B

Like swampers would be any better on ice? I'm sure siped Vatiiva would good on ice vs siped swampers would likely still be bad.

But really, stud kits(or 1/4" screws) or chains is what you want if you get allot of ice.

Since you're in Alberta, you're also allowed to have studded tires :aok: . I would get a separate set of winter wheels and studded tires, and a nice set of AT's or MT's for the summer time. If your roads are mostly dry rock and gravel, I would lean toward the AT's. Get 5 of each so you have a full-sized spare and rotate it with the other 4 to keep them evenly worn.

Since when has the VQ35 not been a bulletproof engine? There is one little issue with the butterfly valve screws but first of all if you get a manual like me you don't need to worry about them and second of all I would much rather loctite a couple screws than change a timing belt. The VQ35 is a highly award winning engine that is still used today in the Xterra and Pathfinder (upped displacement to 4.0 but same motor) and in many Nissan cars.

I test drove a couple Xterra and did not like them at all, the ride was much harsher than my lifted pathfinder and they were very clumsy on the street. Also, the cabins were very cheap looking and feeling, a Pathfinder will net you a much nicer cabin. And I am 6'4" and I would be uncomfortable in the back of my pathfinder, I can't imagine being the in the back of an Xterra!

R50 Pathfinders are finally getting some aftermarket support so the future of our parts availability and variety is only going to increase from here, so I think nthe Xterra advantage there will diminish over time...

:my2cents:

• Like 1

I run my 2001 R50 and love it. Yeah it isn't the best machine you could buy to do the job, but mine does it well. I was off-roading with it at stock height for a while and went everywhere that the other guys with lifted trucks were going. I now have my lift and it works well for me.

pathyliftchange.jpg

DSC04224.jpg

DSC04093.jpg

IMG00159-20100613-2035.jpg

Don't know why everyone is saying the 3.3L is better, as most guys aren't stating reasons for it over the 3.5L (except for Simon that mentioned the valve screw thing). I have had no problems with my 3.5L except for blown O2 sensors. Other than that it runs very good and has a lot more power than the 3.3L.

There is more aftermarket support for the xterra than the pathfinder. But anything is doable.

I wouldn't sleep in the truck unless you really need to. There is more then enough room to do so, but there are other options. If you are overly concerned about animals and insects, you can get a roof-tent to sleep in. That way you can keep all your gear in the truck on those long trails.

DSC03842.jpg

Parts for the pathy and xterra are both pretty common. So you should be able to get them at pretty much any Nissan dealership or places like NAPA.

Only difference I could see is that you are likely going to pay more for the xterra than the pathy. You could use that money you save from buying the xterra to put more mods on the pathy.

In the end you will really need to get in both types of trucks and go for a ride to see how you like them and pick the one that you think fits the best.

after thinking for somme time I think i'll get the pathfinder R50 VQ35. It is not going to be just about using it off road, but also driving it for thousands of KM on the highway. NorthernPathy, can you please tell more about your experience with your Pathfinder, your tires?, lift kit? skids? ...? car armoring.

thanks you all for the R50 VQ support.

after thinking for somme time I think i'll get the pathfinder R50 VQ35. It is not going to be just about using it off road, but also driving it for thousands of KM on the highway. NorthernPathy, can you please tell more about your experience with your Pathfinder, your tires?, lift kit? skids? ...? car armoring.

thanks you all for the R50 VQ support.

I think you made a good choice. Like I said before, it ain't perfect, but unless you have ridiculous amounts of money to spend on the perfect truck, you will have to do with what you can get.

I drive my truck as a daily driver and just love it. Is comfortable to drive and can beat a lot of honda civics off the line with the 3.5L, which is always fun to do ;)

All you have to do is look at my page in the "Members Rides" section. I explain most everything there: http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=25920

You can post questions there, or send me a PM.

Edited by Northernpathy

Bah,you folks just dont know how to drive on ice with swampers is all.Yeah they suck but as Pinky stated all M/T's suck.So get Boogers or Trxus's or Iroc's.Iroc's are a great tire on rocks.And from the photos the guy posted it doesnt look bad,a All terrain could do that with out a problem.But if you want the best/most aggressive tire you can buy get boggers or irocs.

As far as road noise?Have you ever heard Mud grapplers,ground hawgs and Pit bull tires?They all sound the same.

Bah,you folks just dont know how to drive on ice with swampers is all.Yeah they suck but as Pinky stated all M/T's suck.So get Boogers or Trxus's or Iroc's.Iroc's are a great tire on rocks.And from the photos the guy posted it doesnt look bad,a All terrain could do that with out a problem.But if you want the best/most aggressive tire you can buy get boggers or irocs.

As far as road noise?Have you ever heard Mud grapplers,ground hawgs and Pit bull tires?They all sound the same.

I normally don't agree with nismothunder but Iroks are great tires, I want a set for my pathfinder but to get them in 33's you have to go up to 17" rims. Maybe down the road when the pathy ends up high enough to run 36" tires ill go with Iroks.

And that has to do with the thread topic how??

B

Because I was picking my nose while reading replies...

I think you are going to make a good choice just make sure all things maintenance related are caught up on and you will be looking at thousands of solid miles from a great vehicle! My Pathfinder has 117k now and I have no noises of any kind...

I guess my reply is coming a bit late and you have already made you decision , but I would still post to reassure you of the good choice you have made .

As you earlier mentioned you are not into off-road so the terrains you will tackle would be mild ones and both vehicles are capable to tackle mild terrains .

The X Terra maybe a better offroader if you are planning to upgrade it because it has a lot more after market support than the R50 .

My experience with the R50 in a trip of 5000 km two way trip from Desert weather to snowy mountains and back was fantastic

The on road performance was great the engine was on for 24 hrs non stop with speed reaching 180 km on the open roads .

The R50 will be much more comfortable on road and handles like a car when ur on asphalt and would surprise you with its off-road capabilities unknown to many .

You could get a 2 inch lift look up the lift options under R50 section ( they are basically OME or A/C lift ) you could get a fairly 2inch lift and slab in 32" BFG A/T tires .

In addition to Northenpathy check out Fleury’s R50 under members ride , he has got a great set up and good under chassis protection and I recommend Pezzy’s set up . All these trucks give you ideas on how to carry necessary items ( hi lift jack / Jerry can/ axe …) without stuffing your trunk which you will need it’s space to sleep in and will allow you have good recovery points .

You may find some calling it caR50 but many don’t know its capabilities I have driven it in various terrains ( sand dunes , rocks , snow , ditches … ) and it took everything the road offered to it and I was driving along with renowned off road oriented SUVs

So good luck on your journey

• Like 1

I guess my reply is coming a bit late and you have already made you decision , but I would still post to reassure you of the good choice you have made .

As you earlier mentioned you are not into off-road so the terrains you will tackle would be mild ones and both vehicles are capable to tackle mild terrains .

The X Terra maybe a better offroader if you are planning to upgrade it because it has a lot more after market support than the R50 .

My experience with the R50 in a trip of 5000 km two way trip from Desert weather to snowy mountains and back was fantastic

The on road performance was great the engine was on for 24 hrs non stop with speed reaching 180 km on the open roads .

The R50 will be much more comfortable on road and handles like a car when ur on asphalt and would surprise you with its off-road capabilities unknown to many .

You could get a 2 inch lift look up the lift options under R50 section ( they are basically OME or A/C lift ) you could get a fairly 2inch lift and slab in 32" BFG A/T tires .

In addition to Northenpathy check out Fleury’s R50 under members ride , he has got a great set up and good under chassis protection and I recommend Pezzy’s set up . All these trucks give you ideas on how to carry necessary items ( hi lift jack / Jerry can/ axe …) without stuffing your trunk which you will need it’s space to sleep in and will allow you have good recovery points .

You may find some calling it caR50 but many don’t know its capabilities I have driven it in various terrains ( sand dunes , rocks , snow , ditches … ) and it took everything the road offered to it and I was driving along with renowned off road oriented SUVs

So good luck on your journey

Thanks Crow. I checked Northern truck, Pezzy's and "le camion de Fleury". On Pezzy's "Members Rides" page she is climbing rocks. Can the R50 do sow just with the original diff or you need a locker and other gearing. I am going to be back in about a month, maybe more. Then i'll go to Montreal(to visit my mom and cars are cheaper then in Edmonton) to get my own R50, this would give me a drive test of 3500km to get back to edmonton.

I can finally stop offroading the Honda.

Thanks again to you all for helping me and sending me links to the Members Rides page. I can't wait To get my Pathy, I'll post pictures and change the ''I Wish i had a pathy'' to R50.

Thanks Crow. I checked Northern truck, Pezzy's and "le camion de Fleury". On Pezzy's "Members Rides" page she is climbing rocks. Can the R50 do sow just with the original diff or you need a locker and other gearing. I am going to be back in about a month, maybe more. Then i'll go to Montreal(to visit my mom and cars are cheaper then in Edmonton) to get my own R50, this would give me a drive test of 3500km to get back to edmonton.

I can finally stop offroading the Honda.

Thanks again to you all for helping me and sending me links to the Members Rides page. I can't wait To get my Pathy, I'll post pictures and change the ''I Wish i had a pathy'' to R50.

Le camion de Fleury is a good name for this R50 it is beautifully modified .

I have done snow and rocks with my R50 and i do run on LSD diffs , and as simon said Pezzy also runs without lockers , off course it is always an great advantage and if you have a locker .

Looking forward to see the new adventurous R50