Why is the inline 6 dieing?

laxman0324

As the topic states. Why is it dieing? Much smoother motor than a V6 not to mention the heavenly sound it makes, and we know that power is no issue with them just by looking at examples of NA and turbo models. Just something I have wondered about.

Longer engine bays= more material= more weight=longer wheel base=more cost?? :shrug:

B

I was thinking about this but I don't think its entirely true with todays technology. Case in point would be Volvo using a transverse I6 in some smaller cars and SUVs and BMW using the I6 in the 1 series. I was hoping the answer wouldn't be that simple so I created this topic to see what ideas came up.

inline 6 cylinders are heavy.

they also do not have the best capability of running at high rpms. todays cars run at higher rpms wich are generally cleaner burning.

i.e. jeep got rid of the 4.0 cause it would not pass the current and future smog regulations..

so now its the 3.7 V6

Why not just keep it in the 280Z it came in? L28DET... amazing.

87, you know that BMW still uses the I6 in their motors that rev to around 7 grand right? They can rev just as high as any other motor, and do it smoother at that. Most in lines were developed for torque, but some weren't, like the BMW 3.0 and Nissan's RB-Series motor. Neither put out strong torque numbers, but they will rev to high hell. RBs have been known to run to 12K RPM.

The main reason is, yes they are long and not cost effective anymore with how many other options there are out there. However, it also depends on the materials used that determines how heavy they are. An all aluminum motor is obviously going to weigh less than a cast-iron one.

They are only disappearing in the consumer automobile market, they are still very alive and well in the industry. Detroit, Catarpillar, International, Cummins, and Mercedes provide the inline motors for just about every semi-truck or industry working truck on the road. However the Mercedes is a complete garbage motor...

Why not just keep it in the 280Z it came in? L28DET... amazing.

because the ealy 80's mpfi was a little buggy

and the 260's dual & tripple carb setups were not so great

but the 240 single carb (since I would start with a clean 240 and swap blocks) had the best fuel delivery of the 3 models.

I seen 260 and 280 guys go to single carbs and be very happy with it. and yes ther is plenty of room for a turbo under those hoods.

I miss my supra...

My hybrid 6M 3.0 liter motor I swapped in (Stock 7M-GTE bottom end, stock 5M head)

100_2551.jpg

sexy noises now

this one is worth watching it all ;)

Never got around to getting it to the dyno, but I guess about 160hp and 200+ torque to the wheels, and these are estimates from playing around with other cars that had dyno sheets.

Edited by silverton

Audi has always liked it's straight 5s. Only thing cooler than that is the Mercedes 5cyl diesel.

european motors are much more high tech than ours.

Pretty much.

If any motor design should die, it should be the archaic and insanely inefficient Harley motors...

Yep. Always disliked them and do so even more now that the 3 near my house are basically straight piped.

I don't want to hear you (or see you), you pathetic attention whores!!

American icon my arse, more like embarassing dinosaur smothered with insecurity or ego. :ar15:

B

Thanks for the great input guys!

And on the note of I5's, GARBAGE!. I was test driving a Volvo C30 with the T5 motor and the dealer told me they use a 5 cylinder to get the mileage of a 4 cylinder and the performance of a 6 cylinder. Idiot, it's more like performance of a 4 cylinder with the mileage of a 6 cylinder.

Most of my 2 cents on this have been covered but I've got a few points that nobody mentioned.

Yes packaging space and weight plus transverse or longitudinal placement in the chassis is what started the big switch especially for front wheel drive.

Balance shaft technology is what gave manufacturers the ability to make a v6 almost as smooth as an inline 6, 5cyl and big over-square 4 bangers too.

For manufacturers that sell v-8 and v-6 engines it's easier to convert a v-8 engine line to produce v-6s or vice versa depending on market demand than to switch an inline engine plant over to make v-8s.

I know this has mostly been said by others but I'm going to say weight, packaging, strength, and efficiency. Straight sixes are plagued by crankshaft twisting since their cranks are so long. The crank has to be stronger/heavier for a given amount of torque applied in a straight six than a V6. More main bearings are also required. A straight six block is also much heavier than a V6 block of equal displacement. V6s are lighter, stronger, more efficient, and generally have higher torque per cc than straight sixes of equal bore & stroke. The reason straight sixes seem to be smoother is their terribly high rotational mass when compared to all other engine designs. As for the 'straight six sound' if you make what amounts to 180 degree headers for a V6 it will sound *exactly* like a straight six. I personally prefer the sound of a V6 but that shouldn't be a surprise to anyone here. I've owned far more I6s than V6s but I much prefer the latter and wholeheartedly believe automotive I6s will soon be a thing of the past. The Skyline's I6 has been replaced by a V6, need I say more?

Yep. Always disliked them and do so even more now that the 3 near my house are basically straight piped.

I don't want to hear you (or see you), you pathetic attention whores!!

American icon my arse, more like embarassing dinosaur smothered with insecurity or ego. :ar15:

B

Harlys are ok(your talking about there v-twins right) and they get pretty good milage when tuned right(50).But yeah,I find that cafe racers and rice rocket riders are genrally more apt to talk about there rides.The new age Harly people are uptight yuppie ass's for the most part who ride around with cell phones clipped to there Dennis Kirk(ahell hole to work for btw) knock off leater chaps.

Straight 6 engines are ok in my book,as the hobit mugger said v6 usally make more power per cc and run smoother but straight 6s has a very distintis idle to them and can make balls of torqe off idle(talking about ford 300's here)I've driven a few of the fomo i6's(my grandms had a 92 f150 5 speed) and it was gutless in the higher rpm but down low it had some balls.(the 2.93 gears didnt help)

I know this has mostly been said by others but .... A straight six block is also much heavier than a V6 block of equal displacement.... I personally prefer the sound of a V6 but that shouldn't be a surprise to anyone here.... The Skyline's I6 has been replaced by a V6, need I say more?

-the earlier Z-car i6's were only 7 lbs heavier than our V's(nissan4u.com)

-I do agree with the sound. I like hearing two Geo Metros doing battle under my hood.

Skyline's i6 was only replaced for the 1 reason everyone is kai-boshing the design; V6's are more space-efficient, and give the car a better overall wieght balance