quick exaust questions?

I think the round glass packs like chery bombs sound terrible but oval case glass pack mufflers like a 2.25"magnaflow sound great on these rigs.

But as stated, opinons do vary.

Edited by MY1PATH

Keep in mind these trucks are geared pretty low, so you'll be at about 3,000 RPMs on the highway and what sounds good romping around offroad or on local streets can turn into a mind-numbing drone on the highway. I've got headers, a Flowmaster 50 series and 2.5" from the cat back and its bearable. I wouldn't want it any louder for sure.

I have ran flowmasters for years on bigger motors and love them. Magnaflow is great too, but both companies are not cheap.

Jones muffler's makes an EXACT copy of the 40 series FM, and its $39 on ebay. They also make glass packs and other muffler designs as well.

I am not sure what I am going to do just yet. I know both my cats are clogged up, and my stock exhaust is rusted and clinging to the truck with what little life it has left...

Was thinking about the 60 delta flow, but have not found a you tube vid, or a truck with one that sounded halfway decent...

As already stated: Form your own opinion.

I have a thrush or red hot(?) glass pack(round type,true glass pack,others are turbo style) on mine with true 2inch pipe from the manifolds back.Its like a 28 incher and is not loud at all.It idled very nice and had a very decent tone through out its rpm range.Its loud evuff to know the exhaust isnt stock but isnt headach causing.Theres sevral Youtube clips of the same glass pack on a hardbody(I think the guy has a cracked y-pipe though).So you could look them up.If you cant decide how loud you want it,there is a muffler that allows you to run open exhaust.Its called a WARLOCK.It will be near silent when you have it closed and and its open it shoots right out.

These truck are loud when they have open exhaust though,you wouldnt think a lot of noise would come out of them,but it does.

Edited by nismothunder

My exhaust is 2 1/4" off the factory 'y' pipe, the cat has been deleted and feeds into a $40 Napa muffler with a turn down before the rear axle

sounds pretty good to me :)

perhaps not as deep as a Flowmaster, but the larger, shorter pipes makes it throatier, especially without the cat, and it's quiet enough as a daily driver and the whole setup was pretty cheap

>_> MIND YOU, at this moment, some of the welds broke during some crazy wheeling and the muffler is just barrrrrly hanging on... and my truck kinda sounds like a diesel right now... and scares little children when i bury the gas pedal...

SO, even more important than the parts you buy

make sure you go to a GOOD exhaust shop. Might end up paying a few extra bucks for the labour (not a big difference though) but definitely worth it so it doesn't all fall apart on you >_>

I have a cherry bomb on mine and love the way it sounds. I got one that is just about 20 inches long. It's pretty tame til laid into the go pedal, but I don't notice too much of a drone on the freeway.

I'm re-using off the shelf aftermarket 2.00" piping with a Flowmaster 60 and a Magnaflow catalytic converter. It sounds pretty good, no drone at all when at 3000 rpm, and will probably last a long time. Just a quick word of warning, watch that pipe bend around the transmission cross member support. I had to trim mine as it caused the pipe to bang on it repeatedly and it made me think the headers were hitting the frame somewhere. It also triggered the knock sensor and robbed all my power.

Edited by Tungsten

I am not sure what I am going to do just yet. I know both my cats are clogged up, and my stock exhaust is rusted and clinging to the truck with what little life it has left...

Was thinking about the 60 delta flow, but have not found a you tube vid, or a truck with one that sounded halfway decent...

You have dual cats?? Pictures please... :D

I have the Delta Flow 60, but no good way of recording it. See the other thread for a discription...

B

Okay, so I went out and took some quick pictures...it is REALLY difficult to take pictures with this dang camera...I was trying to capture both at the same time in the same picture...just didnt work out that way...lol

cat1.jpg

cat2.jpg

cat3.jpg

cat4.jpg

I hope you can see what I am talking about...when I get it on the lift, to actually do the exhaust...(If that ever happens) I will get a better picture.

I was told that it was a resonator, then further research advised it was in fact a "pre cat" nice...

That last picture you can sort of see the end of the pre cat, as well as the actual cat...?

Edited by tmoore4512

that is weird as the Nissan FAST program for any year does not show a pre-cat, pic below:

2j281o9.jpg

On my old 87 Hardbody, I originally had one of the original flowmasters, no series number black case, it sounded good but the case cracked than went to a Supertrrap tunable muffler which was a pain in the as-!!, finally had 2.25" stainless pipe bent from the muffler back and had a stainless Borla muffler installed, I liked how that one sounded. I also ran the truck with and without a cat converter, and had a aftermarket high flow cat on it when I got rid of it.

Edited by ahardb0dy

I have a 2.25" magnaflow high flow cat and a 2.25" flowmaster 40 series muffler with a 4" truck tip and it sounds great. Now i am starting to have problems with my manifold warping though :( so i need to fix that. its sounded mean before my manifold warped. I also have a cold air intake so u can hear the sucking noise and the nice exhuast sound.

Edited by edicer2

Hey man, where did you score that FAST software? Looks like a handy tool!

It is stamped Nissan, and has the same welds and amount of rust as the cat behind it and the muffler...I would assume it was factory.

Cali laws, maybe...but when I lived on the WC, most of the time it would be listed in the registration. I need to carfax it...

The dang exhaust is not too bad with nothing but a straight pipe surprisingly. Not that I would want to leave it like that, but just thought I would share...haha

when I looked that up in FAST I did not specify cal or federal models so that diagram should be all the pathfinders, the other thing that I was noticing is the fact that the pre-cat is welded to the normal cat, I would think if that was factory installed there would be a flange between the 2, even though it says Nissan on it does not mean it came on that truck from the factory. Just checked all other V6 engine model cars/trucks, only one I see that has a pre cat is the 350Z, also checked the Japanese version pathfinders no pre-cat either