Speaker Setup

Tungsten

I'm looking to upgrade the factory speaker system with more speakers. I have a 1991 with two door speakers and two rear pod speakers near the quarter panels. I was thinking about adding the pillar tweeters and rear headliner speakers on top of this system to get a total of 8 speakers. Or maybe I can swap the rear pods with subwoofers. Did anyone ever attempt this?

I'm looking to upgrade the factory speaker system with more speakers. I have a 1991 with two door speakers and two rear pod speakers near the quarter panels. I was thinking about adding the pillar tweeters and rear headliner speakers on top of this system to get a total of 8 speakers. Or maybe I can swap the rear pods with subwoofers. Did anyone ever attempt this?

find you a good junkyard...get the A pilar trim and those tweeters behind...go find a truck that has the rear speakers in the headliner...get the headliner and the brkt to mount them...isolote it pretty good b/c i didnt and mine will rattle from time to time but i'm still not running the headliner and probably won't for a long time...my 87 didnt have either so now I have 6 6x9s and 4 tweeters 2 in the doors, 2 rear headliner and 2 below my triangle windows...

Here is a pic where you can see part of the rear brkt

DSCN3429.jpg

Heres the driverside tweeter(hard to see):

DSCN2825.jpg

This is passenger side...u can see it a lil better in this one:

DSCN2849.jpg

do those little tweeters even make a difference? What do you have to do to get to the rear speakers? do the grilles come off or do you have to take down the headliner?

The rear speaker size is 5 x 7? the front doors also?

Yeah they do make a difference, there is a big difference in the sound with them I find. They are very good tweeters for oem. The factory system isn't bad but if you have an aftermarket deck make sure to do this bypass mod for the amps:

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=24612

It is easy and allows you to go back to stock anytime.

getting the headliner, speaker bracket and the roof support that the bracket mounts on from the JY is easy and should only cost you about $40 if not less.

when you add the tweeters you should order some bass removers (capacitors?) from crutchfield or wherever and add them in line with the wires.

I think putting subs where the boxes were would be a good idea.

Edited by beastpath

I built my own fibreglass tweeter pods for my a-pillars. I hot glued a piece of PVC pipe onto the a-pillar, stretched fabric over the PVC and coated it with fibreglass resin. Sand/bondo/sand/bondo/sand/paint... Here is what mine look like.

Tweetpods003.jpg

Tweetpods002.jpg

Tweetpods001.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 92 pathy with those pods i the back and I know that thoses are 6x9's but what are the front ones in the doors, I think I read somewhere on here that they are 5 1/4 but i want to be sure. Thanks

Ilovemypathy, that gives me an idea about making a gauge pod for the A pillar...as I am officially out of space for anything...and nobody makes one for the pathfinder...of our year anyway...

Pillars are a pretty poor place to put tweeters since they are so directional and project a really small cone of sound. You have a '91 right? The square dashes have a perfect spot for tweeters, right on each end of the dash board. The end flat spot on the driver's side next to the gauge cluster (2x2 pad) about and the same flat spot on the other end. (Circled in red). Basically that will direct the sound at the bottom part of the windshield and reflect it directly back at the passengers and fill the cabin with highs. Moving the tweeters from the factory location on the pillars to here makes a huge difference.

SDC11202.jpg

We used Philips dome tweaters and they are about 2" in diameter and maybe 1/2" tall and come with a black or silver grill. They fit perfectly and the only hole required to drill was one big enough for 18 gauge speaker wire.

Just a side note though, try and get tweeters that have a vibrating crystal dome element instead of voice coils. They draw virtually no power so they can be spliced in on the same circuit as another speaker and won't affect anything at all in the deck.

• 3 weeks later...

FYI

The 2010 Nissan Xterra, which is the redesigned version of our WD21, has the tweeters in the dashboard instead of on the pillars.

2009-nissan-xterra-5-800x600.jpg

Look right above the steering wheel...

• 2 months later...

I don't know if I want HF directly into my ear...

I had a talk with a sound engineer the other day and here is what I got out of it:

1. The Japanese tin can does not sound good from factory and has to be covered in Dynamat from the inside.

2. Regarding the whole rear pods vs. rear headliner thing, the rear speaker pods are much better because the speakers are boxed instead of sharing a bracket in the roof. Also, bigger speakers are always better.

3. The head unit must have a sub-woofer output.

4. The sub-woofer must have a built in amplifier or be connected to an external amplifier.

5. A low cut for the speakers is desired but not necessary at low volume levels. That will send the low frequency to the sub-woofer and the higher frequencies to the speakers.

6. A good set of at least 4 speakers is a must have. If desired, it is possible to add tweeters and an additional crossover.

7. For louder sound, all channels need to have amplifiers. It may be necessary to replace factory speaker wiring with better speaker wire.

Edited by Tungsten

Link doesn't work, but I'm assuming that's torch down roofing material. I've got the @!*% everywhere, made a huge difference in highway noise and the bass stays in the cabin.