Fuel consumption

Slashjt

regear is actually pretty easy, first figure if you have 4.3 or 4.6 gears. it will say on the door jam. most manuals had 4.3 gears so regearing is as simple as finding a auto and swapping gears. that what i did and now im getting near stock mpg with 33's.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude, cut the guy a break. 12 mpg is not normal even with 32s on.

He said he didn't want to regear because it cost too much money. which should've been something he thought about so he wouldn't have this problem.

I know it's not normal and we've offered the solution lol.

I'll offer my experience.

With my 2 WD21's I noticed a huge difference between how the 5 Speed handled the lifts/bigger tires, as compared to the Auto. My gas mileage did not change, at all, (after adjusting mileage for the tire size difference) in my old MT equipped truck. On the Auto equipped rig, the gas mileage was dismal with the added weight of the lifts/armour/bumpers/tires. It seems to me, that the Auto, or maybe the torque converter, loses too much power, with all the added drag, thus lowering gas mileage considerably.

Considering that you have a Manual, I'd suggest changing out your O2, as previously mentioned, and your coolant temperature sensor.

Is your truck warming up to proper operating temperature? Maybe your thermostat is stuck open?

Edited by Simon

With my 2 WD21's I noticed a huge difference between how the 5 Speed handled the lifts/bigger tires, as compared to the Auto. My gas mileage did not change, at all, (after adjusting mileage for the tire size difference) in my old MT equipped truck. On the Auto equipped rig, the gas mileage was dismal with the added weight of the lifts/armour/bumpers/tires. It seems to me, that the Auto, or maybe the torque converter, loses too much power, with all the added drag, thus lowering gas mileage considerably.

Considering that you have a Manual, I'd suggest changing out your O2, as previously mentioned, and your coolant temperature sensor.

Is your truck warming up to proper operating temperature? Maybe your thermostat is stuck open?

Thanks for the answers

Regarding re-gearing, is not as simple and cheap to find the gears in Chile as in the U.S. (and I actually didn't think about it because the truck runs even better than with stock tires, and nobody re-gears pathy's here, my friend is getting 18.8mpg without re-gearing).

The temperature rises until a little below 1/4 of the gauge (from 0) and stays there. The thermostat and coolant (good one) are brand new.

Edited by Slashjt

I have had similar experiences and completely agree.

:goodpost:

B

I have had similar experiences and completely agree.

:goodpost:

B

That just supports my theory that my truck has something not working as it should.

Anyway, just like (almost)everybody said, I'm going to change the o2 sensor and probably the coolant temperature sensor.

I'll let you know how that works for me.

Thanks for your time, experience and answers.

So...

I changed the coolant temp bulb (US$10), the o2 Sensor (US$93) and other stuff. (everything Nissan Original, OEM)

Right away, I knew the temp bulb was busted, now the temp gets a little below half. That could have been giving me crappy mileage.

The o2 sensor was THE ORIGINAL, never changed.. so I guess that in 15 years, the damn thing was probably not working as it should.

I'll have the consumption results in a few days. Thanks for your time!

thought id post this in here, as first time kinda monitoring my milage.

picture odom states kilometers.

gauge is just below half and ive gone 233 km/144 miles

soooooo..... is my milage being decent so far? without doing math calculation, and feeling the weight of my wallet have last fill up, it seems pretty bad.

2z5rdzc.jpg

Well you need to state what kind of driving that was. City? Highway? Fast? Slow? Beat the @!*% out of it acceleration or granny style?

Even in all city driving I don't get that low of mileage though.

Well you need to state what kind of driving that was. City? Highway? Fast? Slow? Beat the @!*% out of it acceleration or granny style?

Even in all city driving I don't get that low of mileage though.

:/

mix, first about 100km was traveling avg 100km/h

and the other 133 km would be general 50/50 mix and this is BABY DRIVING travelling in 5th gear as much as i possibly could....

Edited by zelix

:/

mix, first about 100km was traveling avg 100km/h

and the other 133 km would be general 50/50 mix and this is BABY DRIVING travelling in 5th gear as much as i possibly could....

it's kinda crappy... 5.5 - 5.8 km/lt (12.8 - 13.x MPG) very similar to what i'm getting. With a normal 5 speed manual pathy with even 32 tires you should be getting 16 - 19 mpg. (6.5 - 8 km/lt)

Read the complete post and begin doing your homework. Scan de ECU, check the temp, o2 sensor etc.

Is your pathy manual? auto? big tires? if it is automatic with bigger tires than 31 it's normal to have that kind of mileage. Also, If you put bigger tires, the odometer will not be reading right (ex. from 235/70/R15 to 32x11.5x15 the odometer reads 12.8% LESS than normal)

Good Luck!!! I'm posting my results as soon as I get some miles on it.

BTW: My truck has a digital odometer... weird! and fuel in Chile is VERY expensive....

1 liter = USD$1.21

1 Gallon = USD$4.60

Edited by Slashjt

With 31s, my last fuel up was 15.6mpg, and that was with a wheeling trip. Today, I just got back home from another wheeling trip, with a lot of motor idling, 150'ish miles and it just dropped being half tank.

With the old 235/75's I was getting 16-17mpg. 235/75's equate out to 29x9.25 on 15 inch rims. So I have noticed next to no loss of mileage, and this is on an automatic.

So...

I changed the coolant temp bulb (US$10), the o2 Sensor (US$93) and other stuff. (everything Nissan Original, OEM)

Right away, I knew the temp bulb was busted, now the temp gets a little below half. That could have been giving me crappy mileage.

The o2 sensor was THE ORIGINAL, never changed.. so I guess that in 15 years, the damn thing was probably not working as it should.

I'll have the consumption results in a few days. Thanks for your time!

Which coolant temperature sensor did you change? Was it the Yellow one, or the other one? The yellow one is for the ECU, which could affect mileage. The other is just for the gauge.

Which coolant temperature sensor did you change? Was it the Yellow one, or the other one? The yellow one is for the ECU, which could affect mileage. The other is just for the gauge.

The little one.. that's just for the gauge...

FAIL..

I'll change the other one soon.

re-check the timeing.

the smallest bump can cause bad fuel economy

I will

it's kinda crappy... 5.5 - 5.8 km/lt (12.8 - 13.x MPG) very similar to what i'm getting. With a normal 5 speed manual pathy with even 32 tires you should be getting 16 - 19 mpg. (6.5 - 8 km/lt)

Read the complete post and begin doing your homework. Scan de ECU, check the temp, o2 sensor etc.

Is your pathy manual? auto? big tires? if it is automatic with bigger tires than 31 it's normal to have that kind of mileage. Also, If you put bigger tires, the odometer will not be reading right (ex. from 235/70/R15 to 32x11.5x15 the odometer reads 12.8% LESS than normal)

Good Luck!!! I'm posting my results as soon as I get some miles on it.

BTW: My truck has a digital odometer... weird! and fuel in Chile is VERY expensive....

1 liter = USD$1.21

1 Gallon = USD$4.60

so yeh my ecu has been giving me the check engine for months, finally got around to diognosing it myself, got code "33" for heated oxygen sensor, is this the same as the 02 sensor we say on the forums?

if so then im pretty sure that would be causing my fuel economic problem, now i need to know how to fix it... is there any guides on changing the 02 sensor?

yep, "heated oxygen sensor" is the same 02 sensor.

i dont think there is a how to, but all you have to do is unscrew it from the exhaust, and then detach it from all the wire holders on the tranny. follow the wire up and unplug it from the harness - and then do the opposite in installing the new one.

use some anti-seize on the threads of the new 02 sensor, and I think the torque is 14-17ft lbs.

alright sounds.... like a piece of cake :P hopefully the o2 sensor wont be a bugger to take off, all seized up

it's very easy... it takes like 2 minutes to take the thing off and a little more to install the new one

Good News: The fuel consumption is better now, but still not 100% normal. I'm doing 6.7km/lt or 15.7mpg, far better than 12.9mpg. I still have to change the coolant temperature sensor, hope to get to 17mpg!!

• 2 months later...

Ok.. i'm about to go nuts.

I'm getting exactly 11.17MPG city !!!! that's just freaking INSANE! :thumbsdown::deadhorse:

Gases are perfect, no fuel leaks, etc (plus all the other things I said in this topic)

BUT.. I'm getting exactly 23MPG highway (@60mph) wich is.. kinda normal... right?

Any ideas?

PS: those numbers are filling it up, driving about 150 - 200km and filling again and adding 12.8% to the trip odometer.

23mpg sounds about right for a highway rating on these.

but 11mpg city is horrible. I'm in a TBI with a bad O2 sensor and I'm getting 14mpg. and I drive it like it was stolen.

So what could cause normal consumption on the highway but HORRIBLE consumption on the city???

my driving? slow starts, normally shifting about 1500 - 2000rpm, smooth on the gas, foot of gas as soon as I see a red light, etc..

Shift higher man, you're lugging the engine too much and it struggling to build up speed. When I drove a 5 speed pathy I shifted around 2500-3000 and it got 16-18mpg city driving.

Shift higher man, you're lugging the engine too much and it struggling to build up speed. When I drove a 5 speed pathy I shifted around 2500-3000 and it got 16-18mpg city driving.

Some friends in chile said the same thing today. I'll drive 200k trying that.

Edited by Slashjt