Oil Filter

how do u guys change the oil filter?? its in such a ridiculous spot. i just had to stick my hand in there and blindly find the threading to screw it back on. i tried checking it out from under the car but it was even worse i couldnt see it at all. well yeah i was just wondering, any helpful tips would be rad

no tips, I never had trouble with it. those with body lifts say you can reach thru the wheel well.

consider yourself lucky;

I did one on a ford where it was on the bottom but just above the front Diff. If you can see it you can't reach it and if you can reach it you can't see it so the job is done 100% by feel while you reach between the dif and crossmember with one hand. It was a pain!

I had a hell of a time threading on a new oil filter when I changed the oil on mine. Sat there for a good half hour spinning it from the top trying to catch a thread! I even tried to put the old one back on to make sure it was just me and that I hadn't grabbed the wrong oil filter, and I couldn't even get the old one back on.

I read somewhere on here that it's much easier through the wheel well, I took the tire off, and there was a slit in the inner fender lining where it looked like someone had gone through there before to put the filter on. Once I got in there, voila, I was able to thread it.

Drink beer. Remove wheel. Drink beer. Reach in. Unscrew the filter by hand or a filter wrench. Pull old filter out. Spill oil everywhere. Curse loudly. Drink beer. Put new filter on. Fill with oil through rocker cover. Drink beer.

Edited by Kingman
  • Like 1

Drink beer. Remove wheel. Drink beer. Reach in. Unscrew the filter by hand or a filter wrench. Pull old filter out. Spill oil everywhere. Curse loudly. Drink beer. Put new filter on. Fill with oil through rocker cover. Drink beer.

don't forget, between sips, to to wet the gasket with some oil and maybe pour a few ounces into the filter,(but not so much that you pour it back on your sarter)

EDIT, james you meant Drink Just_Cuz_12.gif right?

lol

Edited by MY1PATH

No need to take the wheel off or go through the fender well. When you put the new filter in angle the end of the filter down a bit and it goes on no problem. Even before my body lift I had no issues. The filter isn't exactly at a 90 degree angle.

Edited by adamzan

don't forget, between sips, to to wet the gasket with some oil and maybe pour a few ounces into the filter,(but not so much that you pour it back on your sarter)

EDIT, james you meant Drink Just_Cuz_12.gif right?

lol

Well, actually, let me edit further. Drink A beer between steps. Not sippage of the beer. :aok:

Coffee sounds good...

no tips, I never had trouble with it. those with body lifts say you can reach thru the wheel well.

consider yourself lucky;

I did one on a ford where it was on the bottom but just above the front Diff. If you can see it you can't reach it and if you can reach it you can't see it so the job is done 100% by feel while you reach between the dif and crossmember with one hand. It was a pain!

My f150 is like that,such a pain,I almost always get oil on I face while doing this.The Satur is a pain too if you dont have a lift,its all the way in back by the surpentin belts...

how do u guys change the oil filter?? its in such a ridiculous spot. i just had to stick my hand in there and blindly find the threading to screw it back on. i tried checking it out from under the car but it was even worse i couldnt see it at all. well yeah i was just wondering, any helpful tips would be rad

well, since mine has a 3" body lift and that pesky cover is no longer there,

I sit in a chair about 10 feet away and see how many extensions it takes with my nifty Mac socket on the end to reach the filter to screw it off, without leaving my chair =)

(well not actually, but I'm thinkin I'm going to try it this weekend >_>)

http://www.mactools.com/product/tabid/120/p-319637-of63600a.aspx

:)

Going through the fenderwell without a body lift, watch you don't slit your wrists on the inner fender edge.

HeHe Then not only are you bleeding and still not done with the oil change, but you look like a :gay: little emo kid!