Really Bad Mpg

ahardb0dy

Hello all, yesterday I finally put my 94 pathfinder on the road, stopped and got gas, 87 octane $20m about 8 gallons,the gas gauge was just below the 3/4 mark, today I drove it to work and back 72 miles round trip and the gas gauge is now below a 1/4. The engine I had put in (old engine was shot) was a JDM VG30E,m truck has a auto trans with O/D and 31" tires. Anyway, mechanic said the spark plugs looked good although I don't know what brand they are, most likely NGK's, I haven't done anything yet as far as a tune up but I drove aprox. 90 miles on 8 gallons and have the same amount of gas as before I put in the 8 gallons, that works out to 11.25 MPG does this sound a bit low to anyone else even with not doing a tune up??? My 87 Hardbody 4x4 with 33's, TB, no over drive auto trans and 4.62 gears was getting about 10 MPG. So what kind of mileage should I expect to see with this truck anyway?? I thought by getting rid of our V8 Titan I would be saving money on gas being the pathfinder is a V6 but HOLY Cr-P!!

So I'll probably get a new set of NGK plugs, air filter, fuel filter, put some Mobil One in, I have a factory oil filter already, PCV, I'll price the O2 sensor (s??) and if I can get one reasonable I'll replace that as well, I need to check the rear end fluid and possibly change it to some synthetic, ( what do you recommend since it is LSD), anything else I forgot to list??

Thanks

Yeah do a tune up (plugs,wires,cap,rotor,o2 sensor, fuel filter, air filter, and pcv) and you should be ok unless there is something really wrong. Also since the motor was swapped make sure all the vacuum and egr lines and stuff are all hooked up right. I run synthetic and I found it did help the mileage quite a bit. I get 18-20mpg on my "average" tank. I have seen it creep up to 23 or maybe higher on the highway but it's been a while since I did a whole tank highway trip.

Oh ya try to keep the rev's under 3.5k and don't go much faster than 110km/h on the highway.

Edited by adamzan

I think we can all argee that our fuel gauges are no where near correct. The best way to figure out your gauge and fuel mileage, it to fill the tank, and drive until its empty. Keep a 5 gallon fuel can on hand(full, unless you like to walk). Several people have ran thier tank down to as close as 20 gallon fillup! The low fuel light should come on with about 4 gallons to spare(if yours works). I have seen your other threads and you may have some other issues that are hindering your fuel mileage.

how much will a leak in the exhaust, a dirty MAF sensor and throttle body effect the MPG? Picked up a 5 Qt jug of Mobil 1 tonight from walmart for like $23, and replaced the air filter, the one that was in there was very dirty. Going to clean the TB and MAF sensor tomorrow.

I think we can all argee that our fuel gauges are no where near correct. The best way to figure out your gauge and fuel mileage, it to fill the tank, and drive until its empty. Keep a 5 gallon fuel can on hand(full, unless you like to walk). Several people have ran thier tank down to as close as 20 gallon fillup! The low fuel light should come on with about 4 gallons to spare(if yours works). I have seen your other threads and you may have some other issues that are hindering your fuel mileage.

I check my consumption by filing up & recording the kms, running it to about 1/8 tank then filling up and comparing the fill litres to the difference in km.

I'm not so sure running your tank dry is a good thing. Besides, who wants to walk (as you said). :-)

I've noticed a HUGE difference in fuel consumption depending on the speed... and it's consistent on both our Pathys.

If I keep the speed around 80-90-100 km/hr and make sure it has shifted down I get great fuel economy (for a 4x4).

As soon as I cross the 100-110 km/hr barrier it sucks fuel like crazy.

120+ km/hr down the highway..... forget it, you may as well be throwing $'s out the window every few minutes. HA!

So when travelling any distance I take the scenic route. Nice drive, less traffic and saves me $$$$.

I have noticed that when my wife drives it she doesn't notice if it has shifted down or not. Many times even at lower speeds it is revving in the higher gear.

From my delivery truck days I learned to accelerate and then ease off of the gas to let it shift down.

If this is the case for anyone else, if you are driving at a speed just before the shift point it would be costing you a lot of fuel.

Manual transmission would solve this.

Then you could shift early and idle everywhere you go. Just wouldn't get there fast. :D

.I got 16-19 on average with one 23 mpg on a long highway trip going 65...Mine was in good tune and every thing.The worse I ever got was 9,but to be fair that was in winter and I played around in a blizzard(really,I couldnt see 10 feet in front of me,6 inchs of snow on the road in 5 hours)If your doing a lot of city driving then yeah,I can see getting 10 mpg...but only if you punch it a lot.My 95 xe has 4.6 gears and its a auto.How you tell is there is a little tag on the p-side fender...it tells you engine,tranny and gears...the gear will be some like this...HG-4.3=4.37 HG.4.6 = 4.67 gears.But I'm not sure on the letter before the number,but it will have 4.3 or 4.6 on it...

Yeah i noticed our tanks are only rated for about 18.5 gallons but a numbers of times i can almost get 21 gallons in it.

well drove the pathfinder last night to walmart and back than drove it all over the place today, have a total of 170 miles driven so far since I put $20 in the other night, gas gauge has just finally dropped below the 1/4 mark. I think this gas gauge is similar to how the one was in my 87 hardbody, it tends to fall quick from full but than stays around a 1/4 for a long time. No idea how much gas was in the tank when I put the $20 in but it was around a 1/4. Will figure out the MPG next time I fill it up. I replaced the air filter already and am about to change the oil (still has the oil in it from when I bought it from Japan!!), I bought some Mobil one and have Nissan oil filter, also will replace the fuel filter and pcv and I'm going to pull the TB off to clean it real good as well. Than I will just have to find an O2 sensor.

I wouldn't buy the exact fit, I always get the universal (without the plug) O2 sensor for my Sentra but that one is only a one wire about $17. Just wanted to see who has the O2 sensor for the least amount. Rockauto has it for $46 plus shipping I would guess

Make sure the thread on the O2 sensor is 12X1.25. I bought a universal from Rockauto and it was an 18x1.5. I'm pretty sure no tap exists in that size and no muffler shops carry a bung for it either.

I guess the MPG can't be too bad, I've been driving all over with the gauge just above the "E" it finally went into the white today, no fuel light has come on yet but I am carrying a 2 gallon can of gas with me just in case. Oh, so far since I put $20 in to it and the gas gauge was just above the 3/4 mark I have driven 215 miles!!

lol $40 and my truck laughed at me and said "eh I might give you 3/4 of a tank"

I paid $47 today to put 16.8 gallons in my pathfinder