Road Rage?!

OldSlowReliable

Riding my motorcycle today, some 20ish kid w/his gf decide to give me crap...its a road I drive down all the time, 35mph and a school zone, two lanes but fairly wide.

I've ridden down the road a few times so far on the bike, and every time someone tailgates me trying to go 50, but I'm not about to lose my license for them, so I just sit in my lane (no passing zone) and make it very clear I don't want them to share my lane and pass me (still a new rider really)

Well, this car is about 4 feet from my rear tire, and its freakin me out a little, so I flash my brake light (not actually engaging the brake) and he doesn't budge. I see him starting to creep into the right side of the lane, so I adjust to be perfectly centered, all the sudden he starts swerving back and forth and getting closer and closer, so I throw some brake to slow down and avoid something going on at 40mph+

I cut my ride short and turn onto a side road that is still 35 and wide, and I get real slow in the turn (still learning) and try to accelerate hard to get some space. I'm going 45 in a 35, and he tailgates me, swerving past me his mirror being about 6" from my thigh, as I look with wide eyes into the car at his gf just sitting there as if nothing is going on....I slam on the brakes and swerve out of the way, only to have him follow me over to the curb then get in front of me...

He finally goes about 30mph and I keep my distance, he slams on the brakes and turns left, both my tires lock up (scary as hell) but I kept it on the road, and I see him pull into an apartment spot and walk in....

WTF!

I guess it didn't really sink in when the instructors told us "cars will not respect you on the road", I thought everyone acted like I did, and respected motorcycles for the danger that the riders are subjected to but I guess not...

Oh yeah, cops refused to even file a report.

I was REALLY pissed off after that, really made him know I knew where he lived, circled the lot as he was walking into his building, and made a big ruccus to make him see me watching him.....

I'm kinda surprised that it actually made me madder to know it didn't even bug him (he just walked into the building like he wasn't at fault) vs being terrified to ride it again...

I am plotting revenge though, I kinda want to stick a TON of those "share the road" stickers all over his car (it could use the paint job)

Something my uncle told me before I got the bike "its not your skills you should be concerned about, its all the other dumba**es who could care less"

Everyone needs to take the MSF test imho

Just let it go, its not worth it.

X2.

Should have pulled over and let them pass... I don't think an argument with a bigger vehicle is really worth it. Especially when they are secured inside sheet metal and you are not.

Seriously what did you think circling his house/complex on a motorbike was going to do? Obviously he didn't care and I'm sure that gesture made him chuckle even more. Not to be offensive, but I'm sure his thoughts were "oh, look at the big tough guy on the motorcycle...so scary..."

Stuff like that isn't even worth an ounce of anger, it is what it is and nothing can be done to really change it. Just let it go and be the better person...

I can also tell you that sticking anything on a persons car like that will not be a good idea. If he catches wind of where you might live, which usually it'll piss a person off to find a ton of stuff on their car, you WILL have damaged vehicles.

Edited by Kingman

I'll say this from 25 years of riding on the street.

1) You are wearing full gear, right?? MOTORCYCLE pants, jacket, boots and FULL face helmet?? If not, go park the bike until you do. If you need to collect real gear at steal prices, check out newenough.com and their close out section, it's the only place I have bought gear for 10 years.

2) Any time you are faced with an aggressive/threatening driver, stay calm!! Do your best to get to the side so they can pass, they can't harm you then. If you can not pull over, turn off or whatnot, use your bike and speed away. A ticket is way cheaper than an accident without the pain. Besides, if you are worked up or scared, the cop very well might believe you so make sure to point out the car if you can.

If you can not pull over, avoid, evade or speed away, you need to work on your riding skills until you you can. Seriously.

3) If you do manage to get them to pass, back off or just get into another lane, get in a position to follow them from a safe distance and do so as long as you wish or is convenient. Odds are they will pull over and stop soon though. When they do, calmly pull over also, but where they can not easily back into you and wait until they exit the vehicle. Get off of your bike, walk over and repeatedly strike/kick the driver until they are not an immediate threat, return to your bike and ride off in the opposite direction. Wearing full gear you are fairly impervious and unidentifyable and the small bike plate is hard to read. This is done for everyone's safety, it is a teaching tool.

I have had drivers do weird crap over the years, sometimes for no reason that I know of so I had to assume they though I was someone else. :shrug:

I have had drivers 'play' with me because they thought they were 'safe'. This makes me very angry and I have proved them wrong a few times by various means. If you are interested, PM me and I'll explain some basics.

The key vulnerabilities of a bike are the lack of mass, traction and protection. The key benefits of a bike are superior braking, acceleration, manuverability and size. You can overcome the first with the last by far IF you keep a cool head and have some skill. I've owned everything from a 78 Suzuki GS550E to a 94 Honda XR650L to a 2001 Honda CBR1100XX and they all had different riding styles, strengths and weaknesses. You have to know how to ride your bike (no not track level, that is different) and remain cool and focused. Do not play someone elses game, either avoid it or leave it.

It sounds like you did the best you could, and that wasn't bad other than letting the person rattle you. Motorcycles have a much smaller window of error so you have to stay focused, save the scared for when you stop. I've had trouble with kick stands before due to shaky legs... ;)

Too much to say on this so I'll leave it with stay calm, wear gear, avoid one way or another and if possible, deliver a swift and merciless thumping.

B

X2...seriously what did you think circling his house/complex on a motorbike was going to do? Obviously he didn't care and I'm sure that gesture made him chuckle even more. Not to be offensive, but I'm sure his thoughts were "oh, look at the big tough guy on the motorcycle...so scary..."

Stuff like that isn't even worth an ounce of anger, it is what it is and nothing can be done to really change it. Just let it go and be the better person...

I can also tell you that sticking anything on a persons car like that will not be a good idea. If he catches wind of where you might live, which usually it'll piss a person off to find a ton of stuff on their car, you WILL have damaged vehicles.

Lol, I think I said it wrong, I can't go on the main road that it was heading to, so I needed to turn around and had to circle in the lot next to his parking spot to turn around regardless, lol.

I'll probably never see him again, but I wish I had just stopped and been like "dude, cmon....."

I've had trouble with kick stands before due to shaky legs...

x2 on the proper gear - I wear full gear even in AZ summers, it saved my skin from road rash once when I hit some gravel and lost traction (not going super fast, but enough to give me some bruises and cut up some leather.)

And I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets shaky every once in a while :D

I'll say this from 25 years of riding on the street.

1) You are wearing full gear, right?? MOTORCYCLE pants, jacket, boots and FULL face helmet?? If not, go park the bike until you do. If you need to collect real gear at steal prices, check out newenough.com and their close out section, it's the only place I have bought gear for 10 years.

Oh yeah, I've had all my gear since taking the class, you can't get your safety certificate w/o it around here, plus I have alot of family that rides with good influence

2) Any time you are faced with an aggressive/threatening driver, stay calm!! Do your best to get to the side so they can pass, they can't harm you then. If you can not pull over, turn off or whatnot, use your bike and speed away. A ticket is way cheaper than an accident without the pain. Besides, if you are worked up or scared, the cop very well might believe you so make sure to point out the car if you can.

If you can not pull over, avoid, evade or speed away, you need to work on your riding skills until you you can. Seriously.

Thanks for the info, I'll admit it would have been a good idea to pull into the school or something, but I was kinda trying to figure out where I should turn of as not to hit a major road, and was a little worried about stopping/slowing down, cause I would have to wait in the lane to turn and didn't want to stop infront of him :\

3) If you do manage to get them to pass, back off or just get into another lane, get in a position to follow them from a safe distance and do so as long as you wish or is convenient. Odds are they will pull over and stop soon though. When they do, calmly pull over also, but where they can not easily back into you and wait until they exit the vehicle. Get off of your bike, walk over and repeatedly strike/kick the driver until they are not an immediate threat, return to your bike and ride off in the opposite direction. Wearing full gear you are fairly impervious and unidentifyable and the small bike plate is hard to read. This is done for everyone's safety, it is a teaching tool.

I like this the most!

I have had drivers do weird crap over the years, sometimes for no reason that I know of so I had to assume they though I was someone else. :shrug:

I have had drivers 'play' with me because they thought they were 'safe'. This makes me very angry and I have proved them wrong a few times by various means. If you are interested, PM me and I'll explain some basics.

The key vulnerabilities of a bike are the lack of mass, traction and protection. The key benefits of a bike are superior braking, acceleration, manuverability and size. You can overcome the first with the last by far IF you keep a cool head and have some skill. I've owned everything from a 78 Suzuki GS550E to a 94 Honda XR650L to a 2001 Honda CBR1100XX and they all had different riding styles, strengths and weaknesses. You have to know how to ride your bike (no not track level, that is different) and remain cool and focused. Do not play someone elses game, either avoid it or leave it.

It sounds like you did the best you could, and that wasn't bad other than letting the person rattle you. Motorcycles have a much smaller window of error so you have to stay focused, save the scared for when you stop. I've had trouble with kick stands before due to shaky legs... ;)

Too much to say on this so I'll leave it with stay calm, wear gear, avoid one way or another and if possible, deliver a swift and merciless thumping.

B

Lol, thanks for the info and laughs B....this was one occasions where I regretted a 250's power...hehe

Just goofing around Bud, don't waste brain cells on it.

Serious about the link for gear though, I have regularly bought items for 25-50% of retail and it is quality.

As for educating drivers, it has it's place and usually starts with 'So, you still want to try to kill me??'. Not like it is casual, but I suppose I shouldn't recommend it...

Bikes are great fun, just watch out for everyone. They are trying to kill you...

B

B

Nothing like a good head butt with a full face helmet on! I think I did see this procedure all the way in the back of the safety course handbook.

You could also get a CCP. A couple of 40 cals through the radiator or the windshield would get them to back off. You will have to learn to aim with the mirror.

Thats why I skipped the 250 beginner bike and went for the 1800. On a strait road I can run up ahead far enough to turn around and come back so I can shoot over the handle bars.

All joking aside the best thing is to just swallow the lump get out of the way and let the ahole pass.

James

Why I am just fine on 4 wheels, to many idiots and assholes on the road.

:yeahthat: and I don't trust me on something with power.

Bounce an alley apple or too off his car maby? Seriously he proably got more humor watching you circle than anything, knowing he got to you.

Nothing like a good head butt with a full face helmet on! I think I did see this procedure all the way in the back of the safety course handbook.

You could also get a CCP. A couple of 40 cals through the radiator or the windshield would get them to back off. You will have to learn to aim with the mirror.

Hell 9mm will do that and its less balance upsetting.

anyway I know the feeling man,

on 2 wheels nobody sees you and everyone is out to get you.

Just keep that in mind at all times.

Luckily I haven't had any issues on my xt500 yet...

but I can tell you plenty o times where I was in danger before I had an engine attched to my wheels.

Edited by MY1PATH

He finally goes about 30mph and I keep my distance, he slams on the brakes and turns left, both my tires lock up (scary as hell) but I kept it on the road, and I see him pull into an apartment spot and walk in....

WTF!

I guess it didn't really sink in when the instructors told us "cars will not respect you on the road", I thought everyone acted like I did, and respected motorcycles for the danger that the riders are subjected to but I guess not...

Oh yeah, cops refused to even file a report.

Oh yeah...well you know where he lives...part the bike a block away,walk to the apartment in the middle of the night and throw a brick at his windsheild...thats what I'd do at least...

Here in AZ we are allowed to carry firearms out in the open. I have a leg holster that works great when riding on or off road. That may be one reason that I never had a problem like yours when riding here in Phoenix. Not that guns are the answer, but there are a lot fewer questions when you carry openly.

I always try to be aware of motorcycles around here. One time when my steering was worn bad my truck would drift out of lanes around curves and I almost hit a motorcycle and I felt so bad about it.

Edited by adamzan

Oh yeah...well you know where he lives...part the bike a block away,walk to the apartment in the middle of the night and throw a brick at his windsheild...thats what I'd do at least...

riiiiiight :FartExplode-vi:

Edited by beastpath

That sucks. I give alot of respect to people riding motorcycles. I mean I pass them in the proper passing lane. But I don't tailgate them.

I am horrible with road rage however. Mostly when people REFUSE to do the speed limit. Not like 5 under. That's not too big of a deal. But like 10 or 15 under. Literally holding up traffic. I hate that. But yeah my road rage is bad. I just wouldn't do something like that to a person riding a motorcycle.