Home on wheels

Crazy Geologist

How many have lived/slept in their Pathfinder?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. How many have lived/slept in their Pathfinder?

• Less than a week?
    • a week to a month?
    • one to three months?
    • three to six months?
    • more than six months?

LOL dkpathy96, two of what ? 2 'vertically challenged peoples', 2 in the fetal position, 2 german shepards in love ? I'm 6'1" so no real giant, but after laying down in the rear with the seats dropped, I realized that I could pull it off if I was diagonal. But 2 ? RIGHT... I'm not sure where the GF is going to sleep; guess she gets the roof.... :aok: I seriously plan install removeable pins for the rear seat bottoms, and that should make the difference... Haven't tried it yet, but looking forward to it :D

Bernard

Instead of removing the back seats altogether, I built a padded wooden platform at the same height as the rear speakers that extends above the rear seats to the back of the front seat, so it is . This allows for cargo room underneath (full length drawers under construction), and I (6'1") can stretch out comfortably... it puts you pretty close to the ceiling though.

I get it crazygeologist, like a 'carpet kit' for a truck... Good idea... My 95XE has the speakers in the roof, so maybe I could get a few more inches clearance... I'll have to check it out and see what can be done. I still like the idea of pulling the seat bottoms for an extra 3-4' though...

Bernard

I meant to get out and sleep in the rear of my Pathfinder but to no avail this year..

I had a VW van i lived out of in a back yard once for 8 months/ $50 dollars a month rent and use of house.. Was winter and was kinda nice. Nailed more women in that van than in my entire existance.... It was a chick magnet. I think i destroyed the suspension in that 8 months. lol B)

Slept in mine for 3 days..cheaper than a hotel..hehehe...kinda comfy if you get in just the right position and stay there......i got too much stuff (stereo) in the back to put the seat down... sly

well ive slept in the front seat, i pulle the seat up far enought and took off the head rest then laid the back of the seat down till the top of it is low enought to slip under the bottom of the rear seat. so its like one contious cousion and you can even use the head rest as a pillow. wasnt too great but its better than sleeping in the elements.

i'm 6-2 and it's just not comfortable enough. the backs of the back seats are awfull bumpy + like some of you, i just don't have neough room with all my junk in there. i normally tent it or use my cot right next to the tk with a tarp from the roof...beats the hotel anyday...aaaaaaaaaaaah, frash air...

I fell asleep in the front seat for ten minutes before school one morning. Does that count? But I did camp in my old wagon a few times. I just folded the back seat flat, unplugged my subs and threw the box in the front seat, plugged an aerobed into a power inverter, and WHAMO! It was about the most comfortable thing I'd ever slept on. The diminsions of the bed fit perfectly to the trunk. My pathy looks to be around the same size, so I'm gonna give it a try sometime.

I want to see the setup for the platform in the back of the Pathfinder that CrazyG has going on.

We tent it, all the crap goes in the pathy and we stay in a 16'X10' tent! Plenty of room in there :aok:

87 mudfinder has got it about right...I am 6 weeks from completing my MS :wacko: and the housing here in Santa Barbara/ Isla Vista is highway robbery... long term, stringent, disagreeable leases and $1000 for a 1 bed apt is pretty typical fare. So what is one to do when you are stuck in SB with no place to call home? Go join the gaggle of surfers and climbers living in V-dub busses on the bluff, wake up next to the ocean each morning, and the enjoy th "pleasures" of a student ghetto. Bonus points cuz there is a shower at my Univ. office.

That said, here are some pictures of the "home" in it's early stages, before being strapped to the floor (it bounces a little off road) and before the deck was padded (at this point there was a climbers crashpad instead)

LOL dkpathy96, two of what ? 2 'vertically challenged peoples', 2 in the fetal position ...

I seriously plan install removeable pins for the rear seat bottoms...

Hey, I never thought about removable seats... good idea!

and yes, we are "vertically challenged"... :rolleyes:

Slept in my 96 and my 97...both on trips to San Antonio from SoCal. Both my wife and I slept in the back with the seats down......wasn't really that bad..it does suck if it gets too hot or cold since the heat/ac controls are just out of reach, so you have to get out to adjust it.

Oh boy. I sleep in my Pathfinder regularly. When i want to sleep in, or my Wife is bothering me. I go out with my Pillow and blankey and Sleep in my pathy.. Oh I forgot, I Drive it up my Hill in the Front of my yard First into the woods so there's not enough room for her to come and Get to me when im in it. Ahhh. Like a Vacation on wheels man. As far as head room, im 6 ' 2". Im grinding out my Seat Pins and Putting in a Pin with a hole for a cotter pin or something along those lines. along the same idea as the pins in the legs of a colapsaeable engine lift. it usually dosent bother me much anyway, i sleep with my head at the Hatch end anyway. I can seee the stars that way and lets me forget my wif...er troubles... hahahaha. Oh yeah. and a Twin Mattress fits niceley in there, but its kinda close to the celing..... And ive been doing this for about a year now........

• 3 weeks later...

I've camped in the truck a few times...

I prefer a tent - but when youre camping early or late in the season, its a lot more comfy (read: warm & dry) in the truck!

• 5 months later...

I've always just slept in the back of mine when camping, I used the seat bottoms for extra support for my single pillow (since I'm used to 2 at home). I'm 6'3" so I just left the lift gate unlatched so I could stretch out if I felt the need ;) . I usually carry enough gear that it can be pushed to one side and give me room on the other.

In my 88 Pathfinder I rebuilt the interior with camping in the back in mind. I removed the rear seats completely (rusted out anyway) and built a plywood deck over the area they used to take up. The deck lid is level with the rear cargo area and there is about 4" gap between the rear of the front seats and the end of the plywood. Under the deck is a nice stash spot too. I carry 3 old moving blankets that I use for padding when I'm ccamping in the truck, just lay them out an roll out the sleeping bag over the top of them. I have an in progress pic, but it's too big to post, so here's a link to it: Pic