Manual transmission TSB

Penzoil

Synthetic GL-4 75W90

Sold in 1 Litre Bottles

Penzoil Part # 56076

Parts store ought to able to order that. I found a Bravo brand GL 4 at Car Quest. Synthetic sounds like a good idea though.

P

Just a scratch on top of my head(and lots of bruises). Solid machine probably saved my life. Fortunately only me, the 10 foot deep ditch and the culvert lip in the ditch that sent me flipping and rolling. Landed on it's wheels and after a few minutes(had'nt really looked at outside) I tried to start it. Probably a good thing it didn't even turn a light on! Very lucky in many other ways after all was said and done. Wife picked me up from the crash site and I prevailed at license hearing. My employer got more from insurance than he'd paid me for the truck. My wife got a newish car and I get to drive the 91 Pathfinder. All's well that ends well I guess!

I used Royal Purple Max-Gear for my last tranny fluid change. It does say:

Max-Gear® is recommended for use in truck, motor home / RV, and automotive front or rear differentials, manual transmissions and lower gear units of marine engines that specify use of an API GL-5 or GL-4 fluid.

:confused: I assume this is OK? Anybody else using this stuff for their tranny?

Post operation update!

I'm going to add my personal account of this operation for everyone's assistance...I filled my 1995 2WD tranny with MT-90 that I bought online from Jeg's at an insane 8 bucks a quart. The Chilton's guide stated that I needed 5.1 pints, so I drained the old stuff (and found a LOT of metal shavings on the drain plug magnet...ouch) and put in 7 pints of the stuff, which is a little below the 1.5L recommended addition, but it has completely silenced the whining. The truck also seems to shift slightly easier and there is a bit more "feel" to the gear changes. That or I'm just making it up to make me feel better.

A few things to expect:

On the 2WD, getting the carpet out of the way and getting the shifter boot off was a real PITA. This is only a problem if it's never been taken off before, all my carpet was still fitting quite tightly before the operation. Oh, and the upper shifter boot is actually riveted to the metal boot holder...wish I had known that before I bent the hell out of the flimsy metal piece and had to sort of bend it back to its original shape.

I also bought a pair of snap-ring pliers that saved me a half-hour of needlenosed frustration. I also got frustrated during the reinstall. I had to tear up several large chunks of carpet pad and cut a few noticeable slits in the carpet to get it to fit. Lining up holes between the shifter boot, the dust boot, and the flimsy metal boot holder was quite difficult, so be prepared to make up your own solutions to that (I used pieces of cut-up coat hangers as placeholders to keep all the holes lined up.)

Also, it takes FOREVER for fluid to train into the transmission when pouring in the top. It went for me at a rate of about a liter per hour, which is why I stopped short of the recommended addition. Do it during the commercials when a football game is on or something. The MT-90 is pretty thick stuff.

Haven't noticed anything else, but I hope the whining doesn't come back and I just bought my transmission at least another couple of years of the good life. In the meantime, I'll be trying to go easy on it. Hope some of this helped!

Kevin

Penzoil

Synthetic GL-4 75W90

Sold in 1 Litre Bottles

Penzoil Part # 56076

Parts store ought to able to order that. I found a Bravo brand GL 4 at Car Quest. Synthetic sounds like a good idea though.

Well. They can order it for you but there is one major Problem with this. This is not something that most stores usually stock on their shelves and to order that Directly from Penzoil they are forced to order a 12 Pack. Yep. thats right. A 12 pack at $14.00 CAN a Litre for that Synthetic goodness. Most stores don't want it sitting on thier shelves for the next Nissan Pathfinder Owner to stumble through the door so they'll most likely tell you that you need to buy the whole lot. And for you Canadian suckers like me out there. You can't order the Redline MT-90 very easy from any of the US companies like Summit and so on due to a Hazmat Warning. Not allowed to @!*% Gear Oil over the border and to make matters worse, Even if you have an American Mailbox you can send it to, the sale will not go through due to you having a Canadian Credit Card. It's a built in system for some companies. I'm personally going to have to get an american friend of mine to Buy the bloody stuff, Pay him, and go get it myself over the border to smuggle back to Canada. If I end up in prison, you'll know it was for the love of my Rig. :aok:

I used Royal Purple Max-Gear for my last tranny fluid change. It does say:

Max-Gear® is recommended for use in truck, motor home / RV, and automotive front or rear differentials, manual transmissions and lower gear units of marine engines that specify use of an API GL-5 or GL-4 fluid.

I assume this is OK? Anybody else using this stuff for their tranny?

Well, If you go to any parts store the guy behind the counter will tell you that its ok to use the Oil that can handle a wide variety of GL applications. (GL-3, GL-4, GL-5) BUT, Like VW's, Some Nissan's require specific Recommendations. There is a reason for this. From what I've been able to understand from the original post is that there are Bronze components inside the Tranny that get damaged due to some addative found in the GL-5 Oil composite. On a molecular basis, it adds significant wear and tear on the life of the tranny. So on that note, If it's not GL-4 Specific, I wouldn't trust it.

Dowser

• 1 month later...

Just did the tranny service on my 94' pathy xe, and though I'd add my 2 cents worth of tips.

I tried just taking the shortcut and just pulling the carpet up from the passenger side, however could'nt nearly get at all the fasterners for the shift boot/cover...not to mention trying to get it back together properly. Anyhow, here's what I found to make the job go easier:

I removed both front seats, both sides of the carpet/door sill strips, both lower plastic kick plates, and the foward 2 bolts of the center console. Pulled the carpet up from both sides, and over the top of the shifter...get it the hell out of the way. Only takes about 15 min to pull all that stuff out of the way, and better than tearing/swearing with the thing for multiple hrs. Also a good excuse to do a complete vacuum job :D

oh, there are 2 snap rings at the top of the shifter there, it's the upper-most one. hth

• 1 year later...

so something is giving me a hum noise (thought it was just the wind at first O.o) only in 3rd gear at about 35-40.. then when i push in the clutch it stops and starts again when i go into 4th and stops at like 45 mph... i guess its not the same thing since it happens in 4th? either way im going to change my trans fluid.. just want to know what this whine is heh.

The fact that it does it in two different gears gives me pause....

If only one gear, I think trans. But in two gears? I immediately start thinking something else. U joint? Differential? Tire or wheel issue? Humming can be tough as the vibration excites lots of components, and where the noise is heard may not be where the problem is.

Need more symptoms.

How is the noise in relationship to throttle position?

I'd recommend moving this to the garage for more consideration.

I had my fluid changed to the redline MT90 two years ago. Last winter it was fine, this winter it's like shifting through mud. I didn't have ti flushed, just drained and filled. I may have it done again after the winter. I have a weird problem. If I shift from 1st to 2nd, it gets hung up. If I shift from first to neutral then to 2nd, it's ok. Also, when it's cold and I'm shifting to 2nd, it always grings no matter how far I press the clutch. 3rd gear is a little better. I don't have a problem with 4th or 5th.

If I shift from 1st to 2nd, it gets hung up. If I shift from first to neutral then to 2nd, it's ok. Also, when it's cold and I'm shifting to 2nd, it always grings no matter how far I press the clutch.

Mine does the exact same things you described. Shifting into 2nd when it's cold grinds. My solution is just to start off in 2nd when it's cold. Works fine for me.

I would like to put an el pipe fitting in the fill hole with plug on top. It would raise the fill height the required inch. Does anyone know the size and pitch of the threads of the fill plug? I fear having someone pull the plug and draining out the 1.5L(at ten bucks a liter). Thanks for any thoughts on the practicality of doing this too.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I added the additional 1.5L to the trany via shifter hole. I used some gl-4 oil I picked up a napa (only place that carried it) it is 85w-90. I had my tranny flushed last may and then added amount that the transmission will accept (up to the hole with 75w-90. Now I need to know if mixing 2 different brands and 2 different weights of oil is ok. They are both gl-4 so I'm assuming I'm good to go. Thanks

If anybody around Toronto is looking for Red Line MT-90, Precision Tuning Motorsports at the South-East corner of Keele and Steeles stocks it.

2901 Steeles Ave. West, Unit 30 (Mapquest and Google Maps shows this location at Winston Churchill and Steeles!)

Toronto, ON M3J 3A5

(416)514-0284

Just don't buy it all up by Wednesday when I get over there to pick up my 5 quarts. :P

BTW, it is $13.99 a quart! -thnkboutit-

• 1 month later...

Does this apply to the transmission that was used with the 4cyl engines??? I believe that they are the same tranny but i wanted to ask anyway!!!

I have both a V6 and a 4cyl Pathfinder and wonder if both need to be done or just one of them. Also would using a synthetic hurt the as both of them have over 225K on the odo???

Thanks

Matthew

WHY would nissan say GL-5 would be ok and that is what they would add to the tranny if i were to take it to them if its not ok? I added lucas 80w90 GL-5 after taking the bottle to Nissan and asking "Will this hurt my manual transmiossion in my 87 pathfinder?" he replied "No we use GL-5 rated lubes in our fill ups and flushes."

oh yea i also asked about the TSB. They had no such TSB in any records they have at the shop.

Edited by milehighcowboy

Quote:

Does this apply to the transmission that was used with the 4cyl engines???

Does the TSB apply for the 4cyl engine transmission? Are the 4cyl trannys the same as the v6?

I figured the that Gl-4 issue applies to it anyway.

Matthew