Manual transmission TSB

Yep, that sounds about right. It's not that bad though...

You still haven't gotten the plug out?? You tried soaking it with penetrant?? Heating it?? Beating it?? How bunged up is the square drive hole, will a 1/2 inch drive breaker bar still fit?? If so, put one in and shim it with steel shims as tight as possible, turn the handle so it is at a right angle, put a floor jack under it so it is forced into the plug and you don't have to try to hold it in then (try to) rotate it back and forth both directions until it starts to turn. The last one I did was so tight that when I heaved on it all I did was slide all 200lbs of me out from under the truck. I had to use the floor jack method, brace one foot on the frame and wrap one leg around a tire before I could get enough leverage. :blink:

I just slit the carpet an inch or two in the corners, it's not too bad to get in there. Just be patient.

B

No I still didn't get it out. The square drive hole is buggered beyond any shim help. I didn't think of the floor jack or else I might not have buggered it. I had both feet on the opposite frame rail with a large ratchet when it twisted out. I got some NPT easy outs. They are short and have a shoulder to bottom out against the plug. Not sure if they will work, I haven't felt like cursing that much again. If ever my blood pressure gets back into a normal range I will try again.

If I can't get it out I will just remove the fill plug and let it drain, then add 1 1/2L of fresh oil to top it off and worry about it next year. At least I will know it has enough oil in it.

James

• 4 weeks later...

No I still didn't get it out. The square drive hole is buggered beyond any shim help. I didn't think of the floor jack or else I might not have buggered it. I had both feet on the opposite frame rail with a large ratchet when it twisted out. I got some NPT easy outs. They are short and have a shoulder to bottom out against the plug. Not sure if they will work, I haven't felt like cursing that much again. If ever my blood pressure gets back into a normal range I will try again.

If I can't get it out I will just remove the fill plug and let it drain, then add 1 1/2L of fresh oil to top it off and worry about it next year. At least I will know it has enough oil in it.

James

You could stick a tube in through the drain plug to the bottom of the transmission and then siphon the fluid out.

Uh, what I meant to say was stick a tube in through the fill port, if your drain plug was the only one stuck. Perhaps this is supremely obvious, and obviously my poor typing didn't help. You'd also be limited by how deep you could get a tube, but probably you can weasel a small one down pretty far...

On a side note, I just replaced my transmission fluid on my new (91) pathfinder. I was dissapointed to find only the 3.6L in there, and the transmission makes terrible sounds, so presumably it's going to die at some point. Anyway, my information is that by jacking the truck up as far as I could conveniently I got the frame on the high side 2 feet off the ground. This allowed me to put in just under 5 quarts. So I'm a little low still (target 5.1 L = 5.4 US quarts), but a lot better than before. Maybe the MT-90 will perform better than the worn out dino oil that was in there before too.

• 1 month later...

Hello everybody, it's time to change the manual transmission oil. I own a Terrano after the inscriptions and registration but after some VIN decoders it's a Pathfinder. How could I know what version of MT it has? I have a Chilton repair manual for Datsun/Nissan Pick-up and Pathfinder 1970-1989 and it doesn't say anything about that issue but it says all of the Pathfinders 1986-1989 with VG30I have FS5R30A 5 speed transmission. I didn't hear any suspect noise coming from the MT in any gear.

What I have to do? 3,6 L or 5,1 L?

Hello everybody, it's time to change the manual transmission oil. I own a Terrano after the inscriptions and registration but after some VIN decoders it's a Pathfinder. How could I know what version of MT it has? I have a Chilton repair manual for Datsun/Nissan Pick-up and Pathfinder 1970-1989 and it doesn't say anything about that issue but it says all of the Pathfinders 1986-1989 with VG30I have FS5R30A 5 speed transmission. I didn't hear any suspect noise coming from the MT in any gear.

What I have to do? 3,6 L or 5,1 L?

I think it should tell you which transmission you have on the tag in the engine compartment (passenger side, rear).

• 2 months later...

I just found out about this problem...have a 94 SE 5-speed. the noise pretty bad now and 3k aint worth it to me so today I'm gonna buy a 97 SE automatic for 2k or less. I'm gonna take it to the dealer and have them do a fluid service. And then guess I'm gonna put it on craigslist for 1500$ or best I can get lol. (will inform about the counter shaft i'm not a dick.)

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know part numbers for basic parts for the rebuild? Having a horrid time finding them online.

I found someone to pull and rebuild for 300 bucks. +parts.

Well never mind the part #'s lol, the guy researched it and decided he needed much more than 300$, I told him yea? why do you think I jumped when u said you would pull and replace the counter-shaft bearings for 300+parts. ugh!

So its back on Craigslist again.

Edited by davekell

• 9 months later...

How do I know how much fluid is in the trans? I just bought a 5speed from a guy, and I'm not sure how much fluid is in there. I don't want to drain it out because I know it is brand new. He is the type of guy who replaced everything just so he wouldn't have to do it again in a year. I don't know if he replaced the fluid through the filler hole or the shifter. How can I tell if the trans has 3.6l or 5.1?

Well, I would ask him, first of all. Doing it yourself, I doubt there is going to be a way to figure out exactly how much is in there, unless you drain it and measure.

You could tilt the transmission over to the side and remove the fill plug. Then tilt it slowly back over. If it starts to come out before you get it level then you know that it has more than the 3.6L, but you don't know how much more.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I am happy someone pointed this thread out to me. I just bought a 95 xe about a month ago and it is whining in all but 4th gear. For those of you that had this problem and over filled the trans, how much longer did the trans last? I saw that there were a few people that encountered this problem a few years ago and just overfilled them. I dont have the money for a rebuild so I am going to change it out and over fill it as soon as I get home.

• 5 months later...

Just need an idea here... I've got a 93 Pathy with 137k miles. Replaced the trans fluid a month or so ago, but can't remember now what I put in (errgh!). I know it was a Lucas product, and I just filled it to the point it spilled out of the filler (on level driveway). Haven't really noticed a whine, more of a hum but it seems more of the engine humming than the trans, I may be wrong. I listen to my music too loudly to pay attention, so on my next trip home I'll be able to get a good idea on it.

Before and after changing the trans fluid, I still get a grind going from 5th down to 4th, and rarely going from 3rd to 4th. Trans was either replaced or rebuilt at 100k. I'm guessing I need to just tilt the truck on a steep hill and pump that case full of fluid? Thinking about just re-doing the trans fluid with MT90. I can't really add through the shifter because I've got some angle iron mounted next to it (I've got a laptop stand in the truck) so I can't pull that carpet up. I'm guessing that to end the grinding, I'll just add more trans oil.

Ew, Lucas. Be sure you get a proper GL-4 fluid like Amsoil MTG or Redline MT90 for your next trans drain & fill.

I'm not sure what to suggest about how to overfill without using the shifter hole, hopefully somebody else knows.

Edited by Towncivilian

Yes, the other fill option that is better than nothing is to tip the truck as much as possible. I can't recall who did this, but it seemed to work with the warning of having to tip it considerably so be save, obviously.

B

I tipped mine A LOT and didn't quite get the full amount in. And it was rather sketchy the way I was jacking it. But you can basically do it this way if you are willing to goof around, might be easier, but more dangerous than through the top, and you might not succeed :)

Alright so i tried the tipping method before i left for school, and after getting almost 5 bottles of redline mt-90 in, i gave up (I just drove it up onto car ramps at the passenger side tires). Obviously now that i am hundreds of miles away from home, my trans started whining again. I've got another bottle of redline on its way from amazon, and i'm curious as to whether there are any other factors that could help with the tilting method. What positions should the shifters be in? I think I had them in 2wd for the t case and neutral for the trans when i first did it. I don't exactly know how the engine/trans/tcase work together sadly, but if the gear oil can move from the t case to the trans it would make sense to tip it both sideways and forward or backward, with the t case in a setting that would allow the fluid to flow around, no?

(please excuse my lack of knowledge if i am completely wrong...i would be more than happy to learn!)

if i'm completely off i guess i'll be pulling my seats and stuff in my apartment's parking lot and getting at that shifter haha

Ew, Lucas. Be sure you get a proper GL-4 fluid like Amsoil MTG or Redline MT90 for your next trans drain & fill.

Yeah unfortunately that's all that O'Reilly had at the time.. Won't waste my time going back there again as my dad's insurance adjuster discount did nothing for me. Plus I didn't get much help.

Would anyone recommend just draining the trans fluid now and refilling it with Redline MT-90? I just did the fluid change about a month or two ago so obviously it hasn't been in there a while. I'm also reviewing my Chilton manual to see how many bottles of fluid I bought (receipt is out in the truck) and I know I bought at least 4 quarts, and I used almost all of it to get it filled til it spilled. I know I'll have some spare time in early October to do the job, so would anyone recommend changing it out? I don't have any humming or whining, but it sometimes grinds going from 5th to 4th. Otherwise that's it.

Thanks for the heads up.. Really want to keep this thing running for a few more years!

So i finally added the rest of the extra gear oil to my transmission yesterday and i would like to say THANK YOU SO MUCH to everyone who has offered tips and advice in this thread especially.

• 2 weeks later...