Cv Half Shaft Upgrade

Is there anything out there that is stronger than the replacement cv half shafts for the pathfinders. I keep breaking mine with the ARB. busted another one today, im really sick of having to replace them almost every three months.

Thanks John

Edited by 94pathfinder

are you using warn hubs? warn makes an "upgraded" ring for their hubs that intentionally breaks before your CV does. They run about $10 bucks a piece and can be changed on the trail in about 5 min using a single socket wrench and maybe a snap ring pliers.

4x4 parts sells CV joints and they might be stronger but I do not know for sure.

Can you show (picture) or tell me where you break them ?? The reason I ask is that I hope it's the inner joint (tripod) , cause I am trying to make a better cv also and will build a new alternative based on a porsche 930 joints that can support alot (read 400+) of torque and have a steeper angle of operation. I have found pretty much all the parts I need and just need to find some time to start measuring and designing... I am basing my self on the design of rcv performance... They have made an unbreakable cv for the fj and will be adapting their design to our cvs... https://www.rcvperformance.com/store/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=37&products_id=47

They basically replace the tripod joint with a 930 joint. Then they change all the internal to chromoly . One question : would you be willing to pay 400-500 $ for an unbreakable cv ?? That's the real question.... I mean I will do them for me, but I wonder hom many people are trail commited enough to drop that kind of money for cv's....

anyway...another solution is to find a manufacturer of cv that will have a life warranty...I know that NAPA in canada have that. I'm sure you can find the same in the US

Edited by fleurys

Can you show (picture) or tell me where you break them ?? The reason I ask is that I hope it's the inner joint (tripod) , cause I am trying to make a better cv also and will build a new alternative based on a porsche 930 joints that can support alot (read 400+) of torque and have a steeper angle of operation. I have found pretty much all the parts I need and just need to find some time to start measuring and designing... I am basing my self on the design of rcv performance... They have made an unbreakable cv for the fj and will be adapting their design to our cvs... https://www.rcvperformance.com/store/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=37&products_id=47

They basically replace the tripod joint with a 930 joint. Then they change all the internal to chromoly . One question : would you be willing to pay 400-500 $ for an unbreakable cv ?? That's the real question.... I mean I will do them for me, but I wonder hom many people are trail commited enough to drop that kind of money for cv's....

anyway...another solution is to find a manufacturer of cv that will have a life warranty...I know that NAPA in canada have that. I'm sure you can find the same in the US

dude i've broken the upper joint, the lower joint, the stub shaft going into the hub, and i have snapped a shaft in half in between the u joints. yeah i probably would pay that.

I have had the 4x4 arts shafts and they actually felt lighter than the replacement ones from napa, so i didn't trust them at all.

Man you wheel hard!

i don't think its the fact that i wheel hard, but more the fact that im not scared to break @!*%. i follow out local group through trails that they go on 36's-38's, and i'll do it on 31's. if it breaks i'll get it home, fix it, and do it again until i finish the trail.

Man you wheel hard!

He is locked up front, that does make a big differance on what gives and what doesn't.

You should look into warn hubs and those breakable rings

One question : would you be willing to pay 400-500 $ for an unbreakable cv ?? That's the real question.... I mean I will do them for me, but I wonder hom many people are trail commited enough to drop that kind of money for cv's....

well if you break a dozen a year i'd say they would start paying for themseves real fast.

In the meantime You should look into warn hubs and those breakable rings then you don't have to limp it home and try again later. you can just swap the ring on the trail and try again in 5 Min.

The part for the Warn is called a hub fuse (#60863). $20-25 for two so about a $50 initial investment with spares. Much cheaper and easier than replacing CVs.

nice info but I don,t think he was looking for a better fuse....just a better cv.... It's a nice thing to have this, but it's just putting another part that is less strong then the cv, then it will break even easier than before... meaning what he used to be able to go though without breaking, might not be the case anymore with this 'new' fuse.... we need to do engineer better cv...and it will be done...... you got my word on this... :aok::-)

I have the fuses installed in my hubs, I also have an arb in the front.

I have not broke any cv's or any fuses. However I have replaced both of my cv's with new ones from rock auto.

In going over the specs for the fuses. They are still stronger than what the cv's are rated at. I think even with the fuse the cv's are still the weak link. The fuses are designed to fit many different hub model and I don't think they are rated to break before our lowly nissan cv's break. Also if your Cv's are breaking because they are binding then the fuse will not offer you any protection whatsoever. since the bind occurs well before the fuse.

Also replacement cv's I have noted have less angle before they bind. I tested this against my stock Nissan ones when I replaced them with new ones. (I replaced my boots on my old shafts and kept them as spares for this reason. Now my only thought about this is that the nissan ones were worn so they did not bind as easy. So I eased the new one in to try and break them in before giving them the extreme stress of hard wheeling. This is just a theory.

Just My 2 Cents

Mark

• 4 years later...

We sell a brand called WONH (Taiwan) that are life time warranty, New, and cheap lol. $60 a shaft (or around $37 my Cost). I'm a little sketchy on using them myself. But if anyone is down in Vancouver,WA let me know and I can hook it up lol. My cost on RS 5000 Rancho's is around $39 each too! Let me know if you guy's need anything and I can try and get it inexpensive. Been selling parts for 10 years.