Unexceptable Tolerances?

wilson

just got "done" installing rough country UCA on my hoopty. It appears that the metal sleeve the goes between the bushings and the UCA spindle is cut too long. after everything is torqued up to spec, there are still large gaps between bushing and the stock washers, which your instructed to put back on. I'm talking like an 1/8th inch here. three things could be happening here

A. the sleeve is too long

B. I'm missing some parts out of the bag, although there is no mention of more spacers/washers

C. this is how it is supposed to look? doubtful

anyone who has these let me know what up

IMG_4357.jpg

IMG_4355.jpg

IMG_4356.jpg

The metal sleeve is too long. I had to shorten mine to get everything tight.

Yup, sleeves are 1/8 too long (i'm assuming it has to do with hardbody vs pathy?)

I couldn't remove my old sleeves (and notched the passenger side spindle with the grinder after trying to cut them off....) so on my drivers side they were so rusted on, I just sanded them down smooth and shiny, and slapped the bushings on, worked GREAT...

WARNING, This issue with the sleeves being too long makes it almost impossible to get the right brand of torque on it, so they will come loose, I check mine every time I check my oil now. 50 miles after my lift, both nuts on the pass side were finger loose, and let it slide 1/4" to one side.....torque your bolts SOON

If you swap sleeves for a shorter one - which would be a good idea - you might be able to just take your spindle to a local shop and have them pull the sleeves off for free.

a place near me did it for me, it only took about 5 seconds too.

If you swap sleeves for a shorter one - which would be a good idea - you might be able to just take your spindle to a local shop and have them pull the sleeves off for free.

a place near me did it for me, it only took about 5 seconds too.

I gotta replace the passenger side spindle anyways (don't trust it with a notch in the side) so after I get my motorcycle fitted out, i'll just replace the spindles/bushings/balljoints/bumpstops/sleeves :)

Mine was like that also when I got em, fortunately enough I was at a shop that pressed out my old bushings to get the spindle and I had them install the spindle on the new uca and found out right there that the sleeves are longer. the guy just ground it down and if fits perfect

another thing... I took out all the camber alignment shims from the past alignment, leaving only 1 washer on each bolt. This appeared to be the "starting point" looking @ the FSM. the wheels are still cambered out like crazy. is it acceptable to bolt the UCA spindles directly to the frame?

I'm hoping that will be enough to achieve acceptable alignment.

another thing... I took out all the camber alignment shims from the past alignment, leaving only 1 washer on each bolt. This appeared to be the "starting point" looking @ the FSM. the wheels are still cambered out like crazy. is it acceptable to bolt the UCA spindles directly to the frame?

I'm hoping that will be enough to achieve acceptable alignment.

How much are your T-bars cranked? What condition are your lower BJs in?

so the D21 hardbody wont have this issue?

To my knowledge... as far as anyone knows the front suspension on a WD21 and 4wd D21 are identical. When I had problems with a set of RC UCA's I spoke directly with SL (who is the real maker of them) and they knew what I was really installing them on and had no issues/concerns/etc with it.

To be sure, I just called a local dealer. The parts started life with two different part numbers one for D21's and another for WD21's, but they have since been superseded by a new part number good for both. He also checked the LCA's to verify, they did the same.

He told me that this was not, and in many cases, is still not unusual for Nissan to assign multiple part numbers to a single item. Each part number specifically identifies the model of vehicle it's used on. But in the end, they are the same thing. ;)

How much are your T-bars cranked? What condition are your lower BJs in?

i reindexed them two splines. raised it just enough that the front is a little lower than the back, which has some jeep springs in it. the bjs are in good condition.

• 3 years later...

Yes, but my experience was .100-.125" and I went a little too far and it crushed the bushing flange a bit so if you aren't sure, sneak up on it while test fitting. It won't take too long; I used a lathe but even a grinder/belt sander would work, just measure before you remove the material and deburr afterwards.

B